Coil Over Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2016, 08:34 PM

Coil Over Ride Quality

I have looked at several posts on coil overs but not much info on ride quality.I have a 68 442 and I am looking at the DSE double adjustable front and rear with their control arms up front. I am really looking forward to being able to adjust the height but my big question is how is the ride with coil overs on all 4 corners?
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:51 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If you set the coilovers to give a cushy ride then you will have handling like a stock system.
You have a choice; comfy ride, or good handling. No free lunch with the simple suspensions mainstream American cars had in those times.
Jaguar irs did give both, but it was an expensive and complex system, Citroen and Mercedes Benz also had good ride and handling, but at a hefty premium.

Roger.
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:28 AM

Thanks Roger, I expected the ride to not be stock, but at the same time I don't want it to ride like my dodge PU rides. What I would like to accomplish is firm but not so bad you don't want to drive it for more than 50 miles.
Old September 11th, 2016, 02:35 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Well you are pioneering with your setup, all you can do is experiment with the settings until you find the compromise you are happy with.
If it a quick and easy job to alter the settings you could set it for comfort on a long trip to a show, then reset it for looks or handling when you arrive.

Roger.
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:39 AM

Can I ask why dual adjustable? If you're just enhancing the performance of you're typical weekend cruiser a single adjustable will probably do the trick. It will handle your compression when you adjust the rebound. If you're going coilovers all the way around I would call DSE if you havent already to talk with someone, its an investment that is definitely worth some insite. I would also look into Ridetech as an option. I think my car both were on par, but Ridetech's customer service before and after purchase was phenomenal. Plus they offer a 1million mile warranty
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I can't speak for DSE, I have single adjustable QA1 coil overs and their control arms. The ride quality is far better than any lowering spring on the market and I think I tried them all.
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all the comments, I'm going to make some calls the week. I have lowering springs now and they are defiantly not a good ride. I will update when I figure out what I'm going to do. Looking at this for my winter project. Thanks again for the help.
CJ
Old September 17th, 2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chris J
Thanks for all the comments, I'm going to make some calls the week. I have lowering springs now and they are defiantly not a good ride. I will update when I figure out what I'm going to do. Looking at this for my winter project. Thanks again for the help.
CJ
Is it adjustable ride height you're looking for or ride quality change? What shocks are you running?
Old September 18th, 2016, 06:12 PM

I am looking for hide height adjustability and better handling.
Old September 24th, 2016, 06:04 PM

Ride quality is subjective. However, great shocks and the correct bushings and you can certainly have a car that rides smooth and handles wonderful.