I want to lower my 64/98

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2016, 06:27 PM

I want to lower my 64/98

I've been thinking about lowering the big girl to get the stance I like. Jamco Suspensions will sell me a coil spring lowering kit, with shocks and new bumpstops for $519. I can get 1", 2" or 3" drop.

I've also been thinking about using air bags. But I'll be honest, I don't know much about it. I realize that bags will cost at least twice as much as the drop springs.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with Jamco or others?
Any other advice out there for lowering SS Friday?

www.jamcosuspension.com

Thank you.
Adam Friday
Old January 6th, 2016, 01:36 AM

Ive only lowered cars with Eibachs springs. The ride will be different, it's up to you if it's better or worse. I like the feel of the lowered cars, plus they do Handle a lot better

JMHO here, but I wouldn't go more than an inch. The roads around here suck and bottoming out is always an issue

You shouldn't run into this problem with your 98, but the rear shocks for my Volvo where listed incorrectly. I bought FWD shocks instead of AWD because they were listed as fitting both. They did not being the FWD shocks were two inches longer. Blew out those shocks in less than 1000 miles

Larger cars use bags a lot more often. Don't know how I feel about them, but some kits will let you control each bag individually. Can give you that slammed look when parked
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM

Regarding using lowering springs of any kind, you have to ask yourself how you really intend to use the car and what you are willing to put up with to get the visual effect. You are basically eliminating part of the normal suspension travel that is designed into the car. This negatively affects the ride, steering geometry, and suspension alignment. The cornering may improve due to the greatly increased stiffness but everything else suffers. The best way around this is to use dropped spindles instead of lowering springs in the front but I doubt they are available for the big cars. I have no experience with bags so others should chime in.
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Go with bags. They are not that hard to put in and you can get a quality kit for around 1k. The ride will be better than stock, nice and comfortable but not bouncy. The problem with springs is the stiffness of the ride. I did bags on my 67 Impala and I love it.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:11 PM

Hi Adam

Did you make your mind regarding lowering your 98 ??
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jandk
Hi Adam

Did you make your mind regarding lowering your 98 ??
Nope, still wishing I had the coin to put air on it, especially after joining the "More Door Mafia" on Facebook, and seeing all of these long 4 doors sitting on the ground. The more likely scenario will probably be springs and shocks from one of the places that were discussed previously. 2" drop will probably make it sit right where is does now. LOL.

Adam
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:27 AM

I am not going the airbag route, but are very tempted to give it a 2" drop with springs... But your are right, it might be where it sits now....uhmm... 3" perhaps :-)
I dont think to much in handling (just a little) as I drive about max 1500 miles a year, so I guess it wont be to much trouble.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:36 AM

If the 64s are similar in suspension to the 65, it has a factory 4 link. Easy to bag.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Slammed65
If the 64s are similar in suspension to the 65, it has a factory 4 link. Easy to bag.

Care to expand on that thought?
Adam
Old July 22nd, 2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1Fastolds
Care to expand on that thought?
Adam
With coil springs in the rear and a factory four link you can basically replace your coils and mounting brackets with airbags and keep the factory suspension geometry. With leaf Springs you have to build aftermarket bars (for a Panhard or 4 link system usually) to keep the axle from swinging side to side as well as up and down. What I'm dealing with now is at full drop the angle of the top bars is way too sharp, which pulls my axle forward, compresses the driveshaft, and gives me too much of a pinion angle. I don't believe this would be as much of a problem if my frame wasn't notched, though... so without wanting it to lay, or get close to laying frame you should be ok
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160630_233052.jpg (3.35 MB, 15 views)
Old July 22nd, 2016, 10:12 AM

If I'm not mistaken there is a thread on here that had pretty comprehensive pictures of doing the front end with welding cups to the lower control arms as well, but it's been a bit since Ivery seen it
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:26 PM
GCH

Is it possible to mount airbags in rear without any welding on the car ?

Mailed a Company here in Sweden about bags but they answered that i must weld
some sort of brackets to make it fit.

Dynamic 88 -65.