The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

A note for those who have lost a cat, or are worrying about when that moment comes.

Old July 30th, 2015, 07:55 PM

A note for those who have lost a cat, or are worrying about when that moment comes.

A friend sent this to me after the passing of my beloved Ferris. It was written about a cat, but you can easily replace the word cat with dog, and it wouldn't loose much meaning. I hope that this can make your pain a little less if you have lost a pet, or are about to loose one. It was written by a person named Gareth, and that is all that I know.

When we decide to share our lives with a cat we are making a decision to break our own hearts. That's not melodrama. At some point, that bundle of fur will get under your skin. It doesn't matter how big and tough you are. I've seen British Army Special forces soldiers cradling their beloved cats with tears in their eyes, hoping against hope that something will put off that fateful moment when they must part. I've seen busy mothers of five childrem who rule their household with an iron fist, reduced to bawling children because they miss their cat. At some point, that cat will work it's magic. It's eyes will connect with yours. It's head will rub against yours. It's heart will connect with yours. At that point, you secretly swear your devotion to the animal. It comes under your protection, and you will sacrifice anything to keep it safe. In return, the cat will share that look with you. The one that says "I love you too". that's a special gift, and unless you have been loved by a cat it is a meaningless one. But if you HAVE been loved by a cat, then you know the value of that gift. It means that the cat will give you a lifetime of love. They will literally spend their entire life in your company. You will feed them, protect them, keep them warm and safe. And they will give you their entire life.

Their entire life. That's their commitment. And what is yours? Easy, you commit to the knowledge that at some point in the future you will be given a terrible decision to make. that decision will be the last you make for your cat. that decision will result in a transferance of pain and suffer. You will take away all the pain and suffering of your cat, and you will begin a process of pain and suffering yourself. That's the price for the look. When they look in your eyes with love, that terrible decision is the price. It's a moment that all cat owners dread, but a moment that comes to us all.

So should we feel bad when our cat passes on. Of course we should. We are losing someone we loved, and someone that loved us. The grief will be terrible, but it will be transient. It WILL pass. You will then be left with memories. some of these memories will bring you tears. Some of these memories will make you laugh. But the pain and the suffering will fade.

so when the moment comes, you have to find a strength within yourself. You're about to do something incredible. You're about to give a display of love and devotion rarely equalled. You will be given a decision about whether to allow your pet to suffer and thus save your own pain, or whether to remove all pain and suffering from the cat, and take it on yourself. If the time is right, you will know. and you will make the right decision. And then you should be so proud of yourself. In the midst of your own grief, and suffering, you should take such strength from the knowledge that when the moment came, you decided to choose your cat's welfare in favour of your own. What greather love can any pet owner display.

so for those that think they have to make that decision soon, take strength. Know that your moment has come. The moment where you wrap up all the love and devotion you have for your cat into one incredible moment and do what's right. for those on the other side of that decision, then well done. I'm proud of you, and your cat would be proud of you too. Your cat is forever pain free. you are in pain, but I promise it will pass. Don't worry, some of know how bad that pain is. you are not alone, and we know how much it hurts. It's terrible, but it will pass. Then you will have the memories, which you should treasure.

I like to think one day I will be re-united with my pets. There will be no crashing together as we run towards each other as in the rainbow bridge poem. there will be no kisses. we will simply give each other that look. The look that says "I love you, and now I know how much you love me"

Last edited by Junkman; July 30th, 2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Very well thought out and very accurate. It's been over 3 years since I took Mew for the final time to the vet. She had cancer and I had deferred the terrible decision hoping against hope that cats had nine lives. I wasn't prepared to let her go. Finally I couldn't put off what had to be done. It broke my heart and I bawled like a baby as I handed her to the vet for the last time. She looked at me and she knew what was going on but it was like a look of relief.

I read your article and her memories flooded back causing several breaks to clear away some tears. It's not pain I feel now, it's more a sorrow or feeling of loss. She was a wonderful cat. Thanks for sharing that article.
Old August 1st, 2015, 04:51 PM

All my pets get a proper burial complete with tombstone in my back yard.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 11:10 AM

I missed 2 of my mom's cats. Every time I visit my mom, her cats knew it was me when I enter the front door. They will run up to me and rub their bodies on my feet. One of the cats will lay on my feet if like she doesn't want me to move. I missed them very much but there are things that cant last forever. All we have is memories.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:20 PM

When the pet no longer enjoys life, then that's when you help them leave.

My family's cat saw us one last Christmas Eve, then walked off and died off in the woods. Couldn't find her. 18 years old, good cat, got mice, lived outside and in the garage, never hissed or snapped at me once. Carry her around as much as you like, and was a fearsome licker if you petted her.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:39 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

I lost my baby boy Sammy last October. I have his ashes in a porcelain urn on my desk in my office beside his picture. He was my squishy pile of yumminess for 16 years and travelled the world with me. I still miss him every day.

I remember you..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20141101_122719.jpg (61.3 KB, 12 views)
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:17 AM

I see that I wasn't alone in my grief 5 years ago. For months after I never went anywhere without a Kleenex in my pocket for the odd stray tear. We have an urn sitting on a small table near the patio door with her ashes still in a small box covered with paw print wrapping paper. Don't know if the ashes will ever make it into the urn.