The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hardhats I became a believer today

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2015, 05:47 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Hardhats I became a believer today

Today I was cutting down trees and cleaning up around work. I cut down a tree next to another some vines were tangled up on a rotten branch. The tree fell and pulled the branch on my head. Put a 3-4 inch crack in the side of the helmet. Probably saved me a trip to the hospital, dozen stitches and a concussion. Never saw it.

It was a Stihl helmet, I got it for the screen that protects the face and also has hearing protection. Never really thought about the hardhat.

Went and got another best $65 I ever spent.

Larry
Old January 26th, 2015, 05:57 PM
same but different

Glad you are all right. Sounds like it was a close call .
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Glad your head is okay. How's your neck?
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Darn trees.

Another alternative is to get one of Rob's MAW helmets and then just stay indoors, fat, safe, and happy.

Glad you're okay. I know how unpredictable "easy" trees to cut down can be.

- Eric
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:02 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Glad your head is okay. How's your neck?

It is a little sore. Headache is mostly gone.

Larry
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

You are a lucky man. Glad you are okay. I been in the forestry business all my life and have seen first hand what can happen even with a hard hat on......
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Senior Moment Member

I was in the ER one time as a kid and the guy sitting next to me were comparing scrapes. I was on a bicycle. He was on a motorcycle. He showed me his helmet. Cracked from front to back damn near. Without it, he wouldn't have been sitting there. I always wear mine. Always. There's a reason they make them.

Last edited by z11375ss; January 26th, 2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: shpeling
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:52 AM

There's a reason they call branches like that Widowmakers. Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. Put that old hat on a stand and keep it about. The tale might convert a few others, but carries more weight with the damage on display.
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Kjr442

Good to hear you are safe. In my youth, I wore a hard hat daily at work.
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:10 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by Professur
There's a reason they call branches like that Widowmakers. Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. Put that old hat on a stand and keep it about. The tale might convert a few others, but carries more weight with the damage on display.
The local dealer wants a picture of it to put in the display.

Larry
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Lansing built

I would assume that with the Stihl forestry helmet, a set of chaps also?

We always have a broken helmet and a set of sawed up chaps on display. We have 9 out of 10 saw purchases go out without one or both.

Pat
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:51 PM

Glad you are ok. I had a 1/2 inch impact gun fall off the top of a trailer (about 8 foot) and hit me on the hard had. It hurt but not near as bad as it would have if i didn't have it on.
Old January 28th, 2015, 03:55 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

There is normally a sign outside any construction site in the UK;
No (hard) hat,
No (safety) boots,
No hi-viz (flourescent jacket),
NO WORK!

Beanie hats dipped in tar were used when the Hoover Dam was built, safety has moved on a bit since then.
I've seen GP motorcyclists fall off at 100mph+, slide down the track for 100 yards, then get up and kick their bike. On the other hand I have heard of moped riders wearing a T shirt and short pants dying from their injuries after falling off at 25 mph......

Roger.
Old January 28th, 2015, 04:25 AM

Larry - I bought the helmet and chaps a couple of years ago. I heat with wood and used to sell firewood so I have had some close calls also. Glad to hear you are ok.
Rick ( from the west side of the Bay Bridge - Manchester, Carroll Co at the PA line)
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
There is normally a sign outside any construction site in the UK;
No (hard) hat,
No (safety) boots,
No hi-viz (flourescent jacket),
NO WORK!

Beanie hats dipped in tar were used when the Hoover Dam was built, safety has moved on a bit since then.
I've seen GP motorcyclists fall off at 100mph+, slide down the track for 100 yards, then get up and kick their bike. On the other hand I have heard of moped riders wearing a T shirt and short pants dying from their injuries after falling off at 25 mph......

Roger.
Reminds me of the Honda shop I used to frequent. The counter guy was your stereotypical biker (6'4, 300lbs, long hair, long beard) . He'd been cruising one evening and was cut off at a light, t-boned the car's front wheel and cleared the hood. (Yeah, he might have been exceeding the speedlimit by a hair ... or 50) and landed flat on the other side and slid face down. At the time he was in full leathers and a full face helmet. It was early in the season and wasn't all that warm. Well, when he stood up, unharmed, the studs on the front of his leathers were hot, and the chin of the full face was half gone. (apparently the guy in the car **** himself when this glowing, smoking demon just stood up after flying like that). Checked himself, walked back to his wreck of a bike and sat on it waiting for the officials to show up.

When he got back to work, he talked with the boss. They promptly put the entire suit on display and cut the price of full faced helmets.
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:49 AM

Flipped my race kart doing about 75mph. Face plant, palms down, knee shredder. Helmet was trashed, gloves torn to pieces and race suit ruined. Got a twisted ankle out of the deal, but man was I glad I had all that safety gear. It works

Mike
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:15 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Mike77
Flipped my race kart doing about 75mph. Face plant, palms down, knee shredder. Helmet was trashed, gloves torn to pieces and race suit ruined. Got a twisted ankle out of the deal, but man was I glad I had all that safety gear. It worksMike
I bet you never complained about the price of safety wear again either.

Roger.
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM

I do ... it should always be cheap enough that cost can never be used as an excuse not to have it. I'm a big fan of bundling safety gear with the purchase of any power tool. Motorcycles should always come with a new helmet included in the sale.

I've got three old helmets in perfect shape that reside on a shelf, never to be worn again. They've never taken a hit ... but given their age, I'm not going to rely on 30+ year old material to protect me .. even when I'm riding a 30+ year old cycle.

Last edited by Professur; January 28th, 2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Hookers under Hood

I've had bottles of Jack Daniels knock me over end tables, picnic tables,down stairs, pffft even onto my wife !!! Where do you get a helmet like that ?? I like one that comes with both hearing protection and a mouth guard .
Put-r-ther good to hear your head and neck are ok !!