The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Input on paying it forward

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Hookers under Hood

Input on paying it forward

Hey guys,
I along with many have been helped out saving money and time with the help of several members on the CO site. The guys that continue to help out everyone here, welcoming them and assisting in all questions know who they are. I would like to see if we could get myself and other members to post a poll and pay it forward by way of a summit or jegs gift certificate or something that these guys could use on their cars for all the money and time they have saved us . Possibly the top 10 contributers. I would like to put $10.00 into a pool and spilt the contributed $$ by 10. How do you guys feel about this ?? Possible a moderator could start this process and keep it posted and monitored to completion by Christmas .
What do you guys think?? This would make a nice Christmas gift for those who have saved us time,money and countless hours searching .
Thanks for all your input going forward, I hope we can make this happen!!!
I myself would start with 3 nominees and let a polls decide the outcome on who most guys chose as top ten in no order.
1) oldcutlass
2) Mdchanic
3) Joe padavano
Without a doubt ther are so many more, I feel the top ten as polls show would be a great start for 2014. We could keep this going for years to come as well.
Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; October 19th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:31 AM

My 2 cents.

Make the prize money payable to a charity like the local SPCA or food bank & I will contribute. I post to help others & do not want a personal monetary reward.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for your input Dave, I thought a gift certificate to those who have helped so many would be a great gesture along with our many thanks. If this goes ahead and I hope it does, and your name is polled in the top 10 than the moderator could put the percentage of the donations to a cause you would like to contribute to. I can't see that being a problem.
Thanks for all the help you have provided myself and others with.
Cheers
Eric
Old October 19th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator

There is a wealth of information and people who contribute information on this great site. I appreciate the nomination and your thought but would not like to be nominated for any monetary gain or notoriety. I have both gained and shared knowledge on this and other sites. The internet is a great venue that was not available to us older guys when we started wrenching, it's a great resource. I encourage those who feel they would like to pay it forward to just help others. I have also garnered many friendships of people that I will probably never meet in real life and a few that I have, that my friends is priceless. I just enjoy talking about and helping others with their cars.

In addition to the above mentioned names that have also helped me and others, Allan R, Aron Nance, gearheads78, Lady72nRob71, ah64pilot, cutlassefi, eric b, toyzrme, and 88 coupe (the late Norm).
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Just like oldcutlass I have made great friends here. I have had a lot of helps and learned a lot. I learned step by step here how to build differentials , and got a lot of help when I decided to build my own transmission. There may be some turmoil here and there but over all I could never repay guys for the help I have gotten well for the most part. I have traded labor with guys . I like the community . If anything I say we all take a poll to which charity we wil donate to and everybody gives what they can. I'm a big dog lover anything animal related or disease related is always a great cause.
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
I post to help others & do not want a personal monetary reward.
X2. If I start getting paid for my tips and tricks, then I will forfeit my right to be a smart a$$ and have to be more professional. Sucks to that.

I'm sure everyone appreciates the good gesture.
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:39 PM

I use this site more for the for sale section than for the advice, although the advice
is good, too.

Paying someone, no matter how indirectly, opens up the prospects for lawsuits if their advice causes issues. Plus, there's a hike in the professionalism that would be required of those being paid, which most here already satisfy.

Edit: Besides, doesn't paying it forward mean that you would now advise others like you have been advised? Paying
money to those that have helped you is simply payment for services rendered.
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

With 200 + views and 6 posts, I understand this would be a little out their for most, I figured it would be kinda cool for just $10 per each member interested. Thanks for the responses and most of all the help I have received here on CO, both performance wise and part choices.
Cheers to all in the CO forum!!!
Eric
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:34 PM
Hookers under Hood

CO being an internet site that is free to all subscribers to view all content and get assistance with the touch of a keyboard is awesome without a doubt. I haven't shown It but I'm a little disappointed in the fact that we couldn't get a little more interest in this. I would have liked some suggestions, even a CO plaque, small trophy could have been suggested at very little cost to make, considering the member count. As with other posts this will get lost in pages within a few days, new posts upcoming daily. It would have been nice to acknowledge those who are here for us each time a question comes up.
I will let this thread go anuf-said
Disappointed here!!!
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; October 21st, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:31 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I'll tell ya what . Have a beer for all the guys that have helped you and let us all know how that goes lol. That seems fair enough. I'll drink to that.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:13 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

How do you evaluate the help given?.
Some will need help with simple tasks, others might need the aid of a very experienced fully trained technician. Production fact and figures, parts availability, or where the cruises and shows are held could be information useful to some.
The most helpful member to most will be whoever most accurately answered their query recently, it's very hard to make a judgement objectively.
To make an analogy; is the Mona Lisa better than Mozart's 40th symphony?.

Let us be grateful that first class help is readily available here, and give feedback when someone has helped fix a problem, no matter how complex or trivial. That way the members concerned will at least know their efforts are appreciated. Also, others interested in the thread might pick up useful tips for their own issues later on.

Roger.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:23 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I'll tell ya what . Have a beer for all the guys that have helped you and let us all know how that goes lol. That seems fair enough. I'll drink to that.
Put-er-ther, Just home from the shop, tippin' back my first one of the day.
Cheers Copper !!!

Last edited by 76olds; October 22nd, 2014 at 02:26 PM.