The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Any YES fans here??

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:33 AM

Any YES fans here??

Just curious, seems the age group here would have been into back in the day.
They are still out on the road, making new albums.
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:56 AM

Yes.
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:20 AM

I'm not in that age group, and not a fan, but they used to play them a lot on the Philly radio stations.

If you like Steve Howe, you should look up his previous group, Tomorrow.
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:45 AM

yea back in the day Phily was HUGE for them. If i recall correctly there was a Dj there that was one of the first in the country to play their music on FM radio and pretty much broke open their stay on FM radio everywhere for a long time.
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM

Then it stands to reason why I used to hear so many 6-minute songs. :-)
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:52 AM

6 min is considered short for them from the Albums of the 70's.
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:54 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

how does the age demographic of this forum break down?.
I was a young adult during the Yes album years, not a big fan though.

Roger.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
how does the age demographic of this forum break down?.
I was a young adult during the Yes album years, not a big fan though.

Roger.

You live in their home country and you don't like them??? Genesis? ELP?
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:13 PM
Oldsdruid

Yes were part of my early-70s high school soundtrack. The Roger Dean album art alone was worth the price of admission. Then you found the music...

They weren't the only progressive British rock in my collection either... King Crimson also figured in heavily, along with early Roxy Music.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:15 PM

Dean just lost a lawsuit trying to claim that the Avatar movie imagisty was stolen from him. If you look at some of it, it looks just like some YES album work.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:40 PM
same but different

Yes, to being a Yes fan.

Early stuff too on into the 80's with album 90125. Good stuff and not the run of the mill usually.

I havn't heard any new stuff, but I'm not surprised. A lot of the older groups are still going. Its a different music business now a days.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:49 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by 1yesfan
You live in their home country and you don't like them??? Genesis? ELP?

I didn't say I didn't like them, just not a big fan.
I rate ELO as the best '70s band, their cover of "Roll Over Beethoven" eclipsed both Chuck berry's original and the Beatles cover imo.

Roger.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:50 PM

The last two albums over the last 4 years have two diff new lead singers. Fly From Here has based around some left over stuff from the DRAMA era album as Trevor horn helped produce this new album and Geoff Downs is back in the band. The latest new album Heaven and Earth has another new lead singer in Jon Davidson. They play all the golden oldies and still do well if now a bit slower. I rather have them then not. Jon Anderson is doing a new band, Anderson/Ponty which is headed out on the road soon.
Trevor Rabin is working on releasing another solo album, his last being a few years back. He is re releasing his the Live in LA live show from his Can't Look Away solo album. If you like him, you should pick up this album. He also released 90124, a album of demo's stuff of which much made it onto the 90125 album.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I didn't say I didn't like them, just not a big fan.
I rate ELO as the best '70s band, their cover of "Roll Over Beethoven" eclipsed both Chuck berry's original and the Beatles cover imo.

Roger.

I love ELO but I see their music being much diff than the PROG bands. YES and early Genesis and early ELP had some very structured music along the lines of orchestra type level of tunes in terms of multi layered music and felt they are some of the best guys in music in terms of talent. Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson were/are some of the best keys players out there.
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:38 PM
Administrator

I listen to music from the 50's and 60's. I will say my musical appreciation stopped in the early 70's, right before disco.
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:44 PM

Didn't disco start in the late 70's?
As for Prog music, I think that is where you found the best musicianship across the board in a full blown band playing intrigit music of most all music. I me back in the day what bands like YES and ELP were playing LIVE is hard to match for the most part.
Old October 1st, 2014, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Actually disco started in the late 60's, early 70's and was basically over in 1980. Progressive style rock started in the late 60's and has been around for a long time. The Beach Boys, Beatles, The Byrds, The Who, Pink Floyd, Tull, Moody Blues, etc... were all inspirations to ELP, Yes, Genesis, et al.
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:07 PM

I am - in a Roundabout way....
Old October 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM

Love 'em. Close To The Edge is a masterpiece. I've seen them 12 times. Never disappointed. Steve Howe is one of my favorite guitarists.

Just a slight tick below 70's Pink Floyd and Genesis on the prog scale. 70's era rock is the best era of music IMO. Music then was so diverse and offered something for everybody.

Musicians could actually play their instruments and singers could carry a tune (with the exception of Bob Dylan & Neil Young). Unlike today's Pro Tools artificially produced crap. Sad really.
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=

Musicians could actually play their instruments and singers could carry a tune (with the exception of Bob Dylan & Neil Young). Unlike today's Pro Tools artificially produced crap. Sad really.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM

"Musicians could actually play their instruments and singers could carry a tune (with the exception of Bob Dylan & Neil Young). "
===================
NOW you tell me I could have been a singer, even though notes mean nothing to me?!
I guess some musical talent might help.

I have the songs waiting to be written!

Old October 1st, 2014, 06:03 PM

Yea they could write music back then, 2 or 3 guys in the band, now many folks have MANY folks writing the simple crap of today.
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:10 PM
Administrator

The simple crap of today is not music...
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

I have a room full of Johnny Cash stuff, I just can't listen to much past the 70's early 80's. A Yes fan no but my wife likes them along with the 80's 90's stuff. I just go down to my Cash room.
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:44 PM

I like Cash also. I love oldies of the 40-60's, other non prog bands of the 70's that are still doing stuff today even if the bands have broke up and they do their solo things.
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:19 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm more of a Jethro Tull guy, but have gone to see YES live a few times without ever being disappointed.
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:30 PM

Led Zeppelin rules and it's obvious why. Just look at the picture !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
robert-plant-lo.jpg (19.4 KB, 24 views)
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM
72Cutlass S

Yes in the round was my first rock concert experience. It blew my mind!
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:56 PM
Senior Moment Member

MOJOJOJO!!!! Saw Yes twice. Cool stuff. Rick Wakeman, boss.
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:59 PM

yes, and neil young too
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:17 PM

Yes were one of the reasons Punk rock came to be.

I do think there are more interesting Progressive bands than Yes, but they have their place. I'd rather listen to other Prog bands like Gong, East of Eden, High Tide . . . guess it really depends on what Prog means to you - does it have to be avant garde? Classically influenced? Some of the bands I mentioned may not fit the traditional mold except Gong.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:19 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

East of Eden?, that's a name I haven't heard in many years, they had a minor UK hit with "Jig a jig" in 1971 if I remember correctly, but seemed to vanish without trace after that.
My musical tastes stretch from Gregorian chant to some of the latest releases. It's fair to say that most of my favourites are from the '50s thru '70s.
Good music is easy to define; if you enjoy listening to something it's good, if you don't, it isn't. And it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks of your tastes.

Roger.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:32 AM

East of Eden's hit was not quite characteristic of them - it was a surprise hit. They had an album that preceded the hit.

Some others:

Van Der Graff Generator

Caravan

Focus
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:46 AM

I'm 56. Back in high school and college Yes, ELP and Chicago (the first 3 albums anyway) was all I listened to. Saw Yes three times and ELP twice, the laser and light shows were great. "Close to the edge" and "Starship trooper" performed live were amazing, and you didn't even have to be stoned. Can I add Rush to that list, still like them a lot and I'm trying to teach myself some of their stuff on guitar.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by gs72
Yes in the round was my first rock concert experience. It blew my mind!

YES first band to play in the round.
Old September 17th, 2016, 07:08 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Jon Anderson, lead singer and co-founder of Yes joins Johnnie Walker for the BBC Radio 2 show "Sounds of the Seventies" on Sunday Sept 18th from 3pm-5pm GMT.
Any Yes fans might want to go to the BBC iplayer website and have a listen. Johnnie Walker is a broadcasting veteran of music from that era and if you like an intelligent discussion of Yes, and the background to some of their work you would probably enjoy listening.
Most of you are 5-7 hours behind GMT btw.

Roger.
Old October 6th, 2016, 06:43 AM

Eric "The simple crap today is not music" is what sparked me to write this.

You guys talk about main stream music. There are plenty of bands out there today that know how to play, they are just harder than others. Yes is a mild band, one of the most talented in there time. If you like them crank it up. But don't say there is no talent out today. Get away from commercial radio. It's not what everyone listens to, it's what they tell you to listen to. If your music appreciation is from the 50's, 60's, or 70's you most likely wouldn't like the talent of today. Although I only like the early stuff Rush is an incredibly talented band.
There is a band called Dream Theater, you will not find them any where near commercial radio but when Mike Portnoy was on drums they were defiantly the most talented band out there. The Yes of the new day, you might say. They are a little harder than Yes so they might be hard to appreciate. Although I don't follow them like I did with bands when I was younger I'd say they are a musicians band. If you do give them a try it will take time to get accustomed to. My rule of thumb is listen straight through 2 or 3 times then slow down and appreciate them. If you hear something and it's catchy the first time it will usually fizzle out quick. About the closest thing I come to main stream is Pink (yea, girl band). There is a lot of talent there if you slow down and listen. I find most people like simple. I, on the other hand like more complexed music.
The music I listen to is far from "Doo Wap" or Cycadelic" but they can play. Not that I don't appreciate that stuff, it's were the roots are, just not my bag. I remember working for a guy when I was 18, in the 80's. He would tell me Heavy Metal was a fad and it would never last. His music fizzled out in 30 days and the stuff I listened to, 30 years later, is stronger than ever.

As for Yes starting the punk rock movement, I'd strongly disagree. There was a band in 1965 out of Detroit called MC5 (Motor City 5). The Who is from 64' but didn't get hard until after 65'. Although the Who was well on there way MC5 had them beat. You can you tube them if you like. I can't find anyone before who played harder stuff. This, in my opinion is what started the hard rock revolution. This progressed toIron Butterfly, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rush and so on, which progressed into Metal. Out of Metal came trash. The earliest band I can recall in the Trash Genre is out of Germany called Accept. Definitely not easy listening. You also had Iggy Pop who would almost pre-date Yes as they began to main stream. That is what started Punk.
Coincidently MC5's song Kick out the Jams, sounds very similar to a heavy commercial band from the 70's called Kiss. Is it a coincidence there first album is called Detroit Rock City? All the original members are from New York.
I can go on about this all day. Bottom line is Yes is very talented, as is Chuck Berry as many artist today. I find musical taste depends on two things, the era you grew up in and the company you kept. You listened to what your friends would listen to.

Country, Music & Oldsmobiles could be my motto. If my wife reads this, family first dear family first.

God Bless America and all who defend us.
Old October 6th, 2016, 08:11 AM

I saw Bob Dylan singing on TV with sub titles once
Old October 6th, 2016, 08:37 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Deep Purple. 'Enuff said.
Old October 6th, 2016, 08:49 AM

No

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any YES fans here??