The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Weather, I hope your all OK

Old January 6th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Weather, I hope your all OK

I hope everyone is doing alright with the winter weather. One of the reasons I like Southwestern Oregon is the mild climate. But earlier this week I got 9 inches of snow at my house. That's the second heaviest snowfall on the valley floor with the record of 11 inches in 1919. Then it cleared out and got cold, this morning it was down to 6 degrees and now is only up to 7. Most winters we have lots of 30's and 40's with a few days in the teens but rarely see single digits. So now we've got several inches of frozen stuff with a forecast of rain storms in a few days. I may sound like a wimp to you mid-west and Canadian members, but it looks like your getting some cold weather too.

Tedd, how are things in Northern California?

DSCN7199.jpg

DSCN7206.jpg

DSCN7205.jpg
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:58 AM

Same thing here in Idaho. Record snowfall and now cold temps. -12 out right now...... brrrrrrrrrr.
Old January 6th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Administrator

No snow here, just colder than a ... 25* with a 20mph wind. Next week it will be back in the 70's.
Old January 6th, 2017, 09:56 AM

Your place looks like mine. Our weather is usually mild, only get snow for maybe a week. Then the rain comes and washes it away. We have had snow in the yard for over a month. And cold too, in the low 20*F and teens. I haven't seen a mail man or garbage collection in a month. City is woefully unprepared for this event. Streets are like ice rinks. Chaos has ensued.

Last edited by Mike77; January 6th, 2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mike77
Your place looks like mine. Are weather is usually mild, only get snow for maybe a week. Then the rain comes and washes it away. We have had snow in the yard for over a month. And cold too, in the low 20*F and teens. I haven't seen a mail man or garbage collection in a month. City is woefully unprepared for this event. Streets are like ice rinks. Chaos has ensued.
I hope you've got extra food in the pantry. That sounds like a good time to hunker down and read a good book.
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:12 AM

Or hunt the forum for interesting stuff. I Like reading technical stuff. Always researching info related to cars and the air conditioning business that I am in. Thanks to you guys I sound like a genius when talking to other car guy's about Olds stuff. I seem to say " well that's not quite right according to......." a lot.

Mike
Old January 6th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Randy C.

Just cold up here...very little snow...just clear and cold...I understand that we may get some rain mixed with snow on Saturday and Sunday but that's about it! You got a lot of snow there, John! What a way to start retirement!

Randy C.
Old January 6th, 2017, 11:32 AM

I had to mow the grass earlier this week.
Old January 6th, 2017, 11:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Wow!. You should try the weather we've had here!!!.
Several mild frosts, some light rain, wind speed in excess of 10mph in gusts, and some sunshine.
But no matter where in the world you are, nobody can beat the Brits at whingeing about the weather.

Roger.
Old January 6th, 2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Just cold up here...very little snow...just clear and cold...I understand that we may get some rain mixed with snow on Saturday and Sunday but that's about it! You got a lot of snow there, John! What a way to start retirement!

Randy C.
Yep. Kinda hard to play with the car stuff when much of its buried under snow, or work in the garage/carport where its still really cold. But eventually things will warm up and I'll be able to work on the projects
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:56 PM

We had mild temps and rain last week which rinsed away a lot of snow with mostly soil showing. The past few days it's been quite cold. North of Barrie they received a lot of snow yesterday and those nice folks south of Buffalo took all the snow that belongs up here, but then again they are at the mercy of winds across Lake Erie, same as the people in Parry Sound and Orillia get winds off Georgian Bay. My shovel gets another day off!
Old January 6th, 2017, 05:29 PM

A lot like you Blue, cold as hell and I had about 6 inches before it rained mostly off. Had I lived 300 feet higher up the hill there would be about two and a half feet I'm just on the edge of the big snow this time. Our place in Boise has gotten more snow ever recorded and it's been down to -6 degrees, glad I'm in California for the first time in a long time.... Tedd
Old January 6th, 2017, 06:35 PM

Its only going to be about 69 at the car show tomorrow.......
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:15 PM

single digits for a few days, snow on the ground, and everyone ya see is sick..the winter grind is here..bored outta my mind..looking forward to work getting back to normal..cant even make myself go in the shop its so cold..damn getting old sucks..

when i was young didnt matter how cold, as long as ya could get out of the wind..now the weather runs my life..lol..
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:19 PM

It's 5 degrees here in the great lake state, just enough snow to cover the grass.
Old January 6th, 2017, 09:34 PM
same but different

I'll add the same as the last two posts.
Single digits with a little snow on the ground.
People sick and little bored too.

Me, I'm doing all right. I like the quiet and peace...if you can get over the bordem part.
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:23 AM

Well, at tuesday it snowed total of 8 inches at half a day here, in top of what we already had. Now it started to rain again, about 1,5 inches already snowed, and promises to continue for mid-evening. I quess we end up about same numbers today ( 8").

For about a week we've been under zero fahrenheits temps-wise, and yesterday evening when going to sleep, it was only 59F at bedroom due to -16F outside temp.

I can barely make it to my yard with a car, the road is so steep and has a curve middle of it, and you dont get any speed turning on there.

Regular winter
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Hookers under Hood

Extreme cold weather alerts for Toronto since Thursday, Its suppose to warm up by Tuesday next week.
Its hard on the homeless and persons with heart conditions. I warm up the car put the heated seat on and the drive to work is comfortable for the most part.
The blowing snow with high winds have been a challenge last week.
I hope everyone stays warm and safe!!
Cheers
Eric
Old January 7th, 2017, 08:45 AM

Its snowing right now in Brooklyn, NY. Possibly 2 inches. Its 22* but feels like 10*. This Wednesday and Thursday coming up will hit in the low 50's. Friday may hit low 60's.
Old January 7th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Well according to the weather news we have a large warm storm hitting today that is coming out of Hawaii suppose to rain to 8,000 feet. I can see floods happening by Monday in the valley. Should be no problem for me unless I go to town.Good thing water runs down hill... Tedd
Old January 7th, 2017, 09:32 AM
72 Olds CS

I will take everyone's snow box it up throw it in the truck whatever it takes get it to me, after last years snowless winter we need snow more than ever!
Old January 7th, 2017, 10:21 AM

No measurable snow here in Rosehill area ks. Been very cold a few days. Temp outside is 30 feels like 35. Nice sunny day. All of you in the cold bitter snow areas try and stay warm and safe.
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Forward into the Past

Here in central N.C., where three snowflakes can paralyze the entire area, we got about eight inches Friday night and Saturday morning. They finally scraped my street yesterday but I haven't been anywhere yet. Today was supposed to be the first day of the spring semester but that didn't happen. I just e-mailed my students an out of class assignment. I'm anticipating a midday opening tomorrow since it's supposed to get up to the 50s. Things should melt quickly get back to normal after that.
Old January 9th, 2017, 10:44 AM

I feel bad, on Friday OKC got about 2 inches and pretty much everything was shut down. I actually shoveled part of my driveway "just in case" we had to get out. I hope everyone with real winter weather stats safe and warm.

Old January 9th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Alberta winter

October & November were very mild in Alberta with virtually no snow. However since Dec 1 we have had snow 3-4 days per week & temperatures well below zero F have been the norm.

Looks like we will finally be pulling out of this 5 week long cold snap at the end of this week.

Meanwhile over on the coast in Vancouver BC they have had steady snow for 4 weeks now. The city is ill prepared to deal with the volumes of snow & cold weather that they have endured there.