The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

70's 80's iron on shirts

Old June 28th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Smash

70's 80's iron on shirts

Iron on shirts were all the rage back in 70's early eighties at least here on the east coast. Jersey Boardwalk, NY, Philly a way to express yourself. Seem to be coming back too. I want to hear some of the shirts you guys have rocked back in the day. Bands, sports, cars, beer, wrote your own "O'Doole Rules" whatever. He's how bad it can get I had a Vanna White in lingerie iron on black t shirt, Jeff Beck on a green Budweiser frogs, several Stones my wife had a Flo "kiss my grits" so you get the idea. Got a few more if this thread has any legs will post them. Can be any era don't wanna leave the young bucks out. Just don't leave out the ones you wouldn't be caught dead in now. I think I had a Farrah Fawcet too or that might have been a poster don't remember. Let's hear what you got.
If your wearing a Kiss shirt while reading this just move along nothing to read here.
Old June 28th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Hookers under Hood

Had many concert t-shirts back in the day, my wall was full of rock band mirrors as well. One T-shirt I had that got lots of attention said " Instant ******* - Just add alcohol.
I still have 4 Johnny Cash T-shirts.
Cool thread !!
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:57 PM

Sh#t happens and I had a big johnson's tee shirt that said in big letters on the back Brakes are for p#ssys.
Railguy
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:29 PM

Whatever happened to all of the t-shirts and iron-on decals that were common at carnivals, fairs, boardwalks, and surf shops in the 60-70's that had abstract images of the muscle cars from that time, with their over size tires, hood scoops, burn-outs.....
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:22 PM

From what I understand, Spencer's Gifts and Hot Topic and Pac Sun and all those ripped off the novelty tees. No money in them for small folks. Plus, I guess everyone has to grow up beyond the Big Johnson and Coed Naked T shirts eventually.
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:57 PM
same but different

I wore a lot of them that had big rigs and trucks on them. Also a lot of beer related stuff.

I can still remember the smell and feel of the rubber-like applique with the glittery stuff. When new it was quite iridescent.

After 3-5 laundry cycles they were just an old shirt. That stuff would eventually peal off.
Old June 29th, 2016, 05:38 AM

Silk Screening put the iron-on transfers out of business. They held up so much better.

I used to get an iron-on transfer every winter when I'd go to the ISCA Cleveland Auto-Rama. They all had the cartoonish car with the Rat Fink type monster driving it with the gearshift sticking out of the roof and the headers spitting fire.

Later on, I called attention by getting the transfers that said stuff like "Improve Your Image, Be Seen With Me" and stuff like that.
Old June 29th, 2016, 06:08 AM

I remember having a Hell on Wheels shirt with a big smoking tire on the front. I wore it to my Christian school in fourth grade and they made me turn it inside out and then called my mom.
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Smash

Keep them coming good stuff. I knew iron ons were in trouble when on a box of Quisp cereal it said iron on decal inside make your own tshirt.

I had a mad magazine shirt with the big freckle face kid on the front. Had a FrankZappa during my weed days. Still got that one mI noticed in Urban Outfitters there bringing all that stuff back t shirts with same stuff we wore, vinyl records all the same stuff we listened to like there now cutting edge to bring it back, then charge $40 a shirt that wasn't even there's to begin with.
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:16 PM

I want to get tee shirt made that has a blear on it.Like a logo is bleared out .kinda like at anti Corp statement.
Railguy
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:51 PM

I had one I bought a the state fair when I was probably in 7th or 8th grade, had a picture of a eighteen wheeler and the caption on the shirt said Mother Trucker. My parents didn't think it was nearly as cool as I did, I don't think I got to keep that one very long! And I remember the way they smelled when they were new to it was an great smell....this brings back memories!
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Yeah they kinda went away with blacklights and wall posters.
Old July 1st, 2016, 03:59 AM

I remember - fly united,maken bacon,smile if your horny,fck the only thing missing is you.
I saw at Carlisle this year there was someone selling tees like they used to. Pike the decal pike the shirt. There was moon eyes,thrush,hurst, stuff like that. I didn't stop to look. Like some one else said they don't last long.
Railguy
Old July 1st, 2016, 04:51 AM

I remember the iron on's in the 60's when I was a kid. Even the ice cream truck gave out little ones that you ironed on yourself and would eventually start to peel off. They were weirdo monster type designs. In the 70's a local store was going out of business ( E J Korvett) eand I grabbed a bunch of Oldsmobile ones like these...
Attached Images