The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I gotta vent....

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2016, 09:42 AM

I gotta vent....

Things are going rough lately.

Friend has cancer, I cannot even follow thru on visiting to help move out parts stash.

Dog tried to die last week, some disease, first incompetent vet charged $600 or so and left us about the same. 2nd vet brought the dog around nicely for much less.

Wife crashed the family's best car due to some idiot appearing in front of her suddenly. It's a total. It was a Hemi. I really liked that car.

At work, performance appraisal is obviously my stupervisor fabricating transgressions in classic Tox.ic Leader profile.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_leader
So now I have to go over all my notes and records and compose a rebuttal to this crazy bullsnort. Which basically calls the boss on the carpet for his antics. I am just done being treated like a child instead of a competent colleague.

I had to record the entire interview. Others heard it say it is classic bullying. Looking for other engineering jobs but it's still tough.

Anyone have experience with Toxic Lead.er syndrome?

sigh

At least some things are going better.
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:41 AM
344879M363895

I'm sorry to hear that things are going bad for you lately. But you know the rainbow after the storm thing??? It is sometimes when life gives us our toughest challenges that we begin to realize how tough we really are. Except if you like rainbows. Hard to prove your manhood there. Replace first instance of 'rainbow' with 'car.' Better now. I hope it all improves for you soon.
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Sorry everything is coming at one time. If it were just the boss issue it might not feel so bad. But my experience with a toxic boss was I looked for and found another job. May not be as easy with the state of the economy right now. It sounds like you've been documenting past issues which is wise. If you have to escalate the issue up the ladder I hope you've got some good managers who will look at it fairly.

John
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Chris you've been having this problem at work for a long time, its time for a showdown or change. Hope the dog gets better and the car issue wellllll....
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Olds Fever

Now... About that raise.....
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:32 PM
W30

I hate hearing this ***** im the nicest boss...take a cut on jobs for guys to keep busy. In stead of layoffs every other company dose.
The lead techs respect it. The lower/ helpers are always bitching.
I had 2 douch bag managers, and didnt know about there non-sense. Got rid of them...
Engineering...i dont know much about that, but 2 of my cousins went to school, and one moved 500 miles away for a job. The other dosnt have a job 4 years latter.
So as i have no knowledge of your work, my experience is its a tough trade to get into.
But if the job is unhappy, dont let it influence your attitude and life!!
Good luck!!

Last edited by truckman5000; February 12th, 2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Senior Moment Member

Life is a sine curve. You have ups and downs. Right now, you are at the bottom of the curve. It WILL get better. When it does, enjoy it. Because the sh*t is about to hit the fan. Good luck my friend. I'm trying to reinvent myself at 53, and it's no mean feat let me tell you! My transferrable skills? None, zip, nada. Can't even make change at the Burger Hut. But, I will prevail. Have confidence in yourself. As my 100 year old Grandma would say, "In a hundred years, no one will care." Oh, and Bourbon. It's really good.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I was gonna say that too: Alcohol -- now THERE'S a temporary solution!

Sorry to hear of your trials but if you look back, I bet you'll see that you've been through worse and the bastards haven't managed to put you under yet. Hang in there.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Senior Moment Member

Chuckle.
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:26 PM

Move to Colorado, you can get something better than alcohol... legally!
Old February 13th, 2016, 03:47 AM
Lansing built

Chris, the wife and dog are doing fine! That's your sign right there. But I have to agree with Eric, that there needs to be a showdown at work. Spring will be here soon and things will be looking better by then.

Pat
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:06 AM

Well, the supervisor told me some yrs ago that he disliked the guy in the next office, and he knows how to get rid of people, you document all their failures via email.... Now 2-3 yrs later it became quite obvious he was doing that to me. After some time I alerted HR to this tactic he favors and gave them a list of his behavioral problems ranging from poor mangement to downright dangerous, like deadly dangerous stuff. She brushed it off.

What we had this week was a bully session with me, supervisor, and his boss the eng. mgr., who has perhaps a little more integrity. My supervisor is actually fabricating stories of my "errors" whereas he meanwhile also makes a series of much more costly errors. The other day he wasted 2 hrs cutting and terminating cables for a new motor, then groans and storms out because the cord is rated 300V and it's for a 400V application. He ordered the cord. He is composing a test controller box, for some reason not including me, the R&D Engineer.... I stop by to see how it's going and I see he is using green wire for 24V low side. Contrary to all accepted wiring and engineering practices. He ordered that wire w/o consulting me, and decided how to wire it. I get chastised for "wasting time" building a spool holder to help wire that box and two others underway... everyone else I asked says a spool holder is a time SAVER when doing work like that.

I mentioned ALL the stuff including how I am not the one that had an alcohol fueled road rage incident with a stranger one night, or shouted at co workers in the conference room and had to go get anger mgt counseling. I now have to take my list of ineptness and downright dangerous acts to his boss Monday, no doubt, and bring in HR, who is by no means sympathetic to me.

Funny thing is, when he SOUGHT ME OUT a few years ago for my degree and great technical skills, to help address issues with production processes and product... it went GREAT for a couple years, and as a team we solved many problems. At some unknown point I became an adversary, despite me having kept quiet about the road rage thing, which was almost a fistfight. My skills have not gotten worse, so, how did I become such an incompetent idiot now? I have been told I can order stuff from stores or production exactly once a month, not as I need it.

Search is on.
Old February 13th, 2016, 07:39 AM

I have seen this before where a supervisor tries to get rid of a person working under him/her because the one he is trying to get rid of actually has better skills and he is afraid he will be promoted above his level. It has happened to me. All you can do is keep documentation about every incident. Someday you will have the chance to present your evidence to someone who will listen that is not biased.
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by edzolz
I have seen this before where a supervisor tries to get rid of a person working under him/her because the one he is trying to get rid of actually has better skills and he is afraid he will be promoted above his level. It has happened to me. All you can do is keep documentation about every incident. Someday you will have the chance to present your evidence to someone who will listen that is not biased.
You nailed this one. I had a boss who would not even look at guys I brought in to hire because he was afraid I was going to build a better team than we had and they would be loyal to me. I moved on. That was 27 years ago. I've never looked back. edzoldz is on this like a bum on a ham sandwich. Dead on.
Old February 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I was gonna say that too: Alcohol -- now THERE'S a temporary solution!
Only in moderation, otherwise, it could get worse...
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:02 AM
344879M363895

indeed.com - Best thing going.
Old February 13th, 2016, 12:27 PM

I will ck out indeed.com, thanks

Thanks for letting me vent.
Thanks for your support, and the above guys NAILED it- I used to think of him as a competent colleague but it has become apparent that he is actually inept. In fact, the product I was brought in to iron out bugs in was a great idea but poorly designed and built. After I figured out exactly what it needed to behave right, -we- made design changes- changes that an engineer with Solid Works should have had in place initially- the product was in proper shape to make and sell. Oh and I did field site visits and upgraded the 1000 or so units in the field, and tracked all that.

I believe the car thing is worked out with an older Denali. First choice was a 120k mike Enclave but it made smoke at startup, and while accelerating, so we stopped to have the mechanics look at it, and they find fresh engine oil but lots of milky buildup in the oil fill area, in the crankcase breather tube, and oily spooge in the rubber boot between filter and throttle body, and lots of gunk on the butterfly. Oh and its electric tailgate shuts by itself before you can use it and hits you if you try to sneak in there, so the rear area is useless. "Denial" has a 5.3 GM engine and is a beast but seems trucky and OK and has a roof rack for kayaks
Old February 13th, 2016, 12:45 PM

You don't need a roof rack for kayaks, GM designed those especially to carry fenders and quarter panels, even trunk lids and hoods to and from flea markets and other persons back yards and garages.
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:56 PM

Reminds me of the saying. Bad management is worse than no management.
It could be worse. Ever work for the bosses son ?Every job I ever had when things got bad something better came along. Been my own boss now for about 16 years. If you don't count the wife.
Railguy
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
You don't need a roof rack for kayaks, GM designed those especially to carry fenders and quarter panels, even trunk lids and hoods to and from flea markets and other persons back yards and garages.
Chuckle.
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Chuckle.
Oh, aye, that was a good one.
The Denial appears to have a 5.3 Ls-whatever? engine? Fairly strong.

Really good engineering, they managed to get 5500 lbs in this smallish vehicle, and run about 10 oz fuel thru the engine per mile. Most engines would flood out and die with that kind of fuel flow. :-D

4WD works, had to use it to get out of a driveway last night.
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:46 AM

I am deliberately not in management, and I see the "threat games" just on the engineer level. There is a girl, hired for being one, who transferred into our department that is dumb, bullheaded, and dangerous. She asks my colleague for advice since he is regarded as the senior engineer. He has heart issues and won't travel. I get sent on the road and know just as much as he does, but she won't ask me for advice because she has decided that the natural pecking order should be him, then her, then me. It's too bad she can't see people shaking their heads when she walks away.

Cable spools are awesome. Blue is low voltage. Who even uses 300V? We do 110, 220, and 480 at my place.

There's a lot of pressure on academic engineers to "do stuff" to show the industrial techs and maintenance guys they know things, because the floor guys often see no point in engineering education, and it's partially true, I don't use most of my education in this job. However, the best way to do that is not to do it on your own and be wrong, it's to work with the guys and ask their advice. You come to someone early, unofficially, and tell him what's coming so he's ready, then work with him the whole way, provide donuts on weekends, and don't screw him, and it'll be a good relationship.

Your boss sees you as a threat, plain and simple. You won't get a chance to present your side. Document it, sure, but realize that, if you would win a hearing, they'll win by simply making sure there isn't one. Your days are numbered, start looking.
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:08 AM

Right. Tuesday should be interesting. The company has a whistleblower policy so I can try to use that.

I went to indeed.com but when I hit the link they sent to activate the acct all I get is

"Not found
The requested URL was not found on this server.

If you need assistance you can contact us or visit our home page"

So, that's a dead end.
Michigan w0rks refused to allow me to edit/ update resume' no matter what, no amount of resetting or trying to contact folks would work, so I had to create a new acct by getting a new email for such purposes.

At this point, only the supervisor and I have seen the thing I handed him, so while he's probably not happy about getting busted, I have yet to really spread the word. All I ever get from HR is how any problems must be something that -I- need to work on. Never mind the setup to fail, the squandering of my skills, the textbook Toxic Leader situation.

I see my job is posted on the internet... for far more than they pay me. WTH?

Thanks for your support guys. Looks like I may be finding parts and rebuilding engines and whatnot in the future. I can build a real good engine!

Last edited by Octania; February 15th, 2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:34 AM

So sorry for your woes Chris, I'd call in sick and hug the wife and the dog.
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:52 AM
344879M363895

Hmmm...I'm not sure why indeed would have a problem with the activation link. Maybe try a different browser? Here is a good idea of the engineering jobs that are available there. Trust me, indeed is the place to find what you are looking for. They search all companies' job postings pages on their corporate websites and put it all in one place for easy browsing. See what you think of this:

http://www.indeed.com/find-jobs.jsp?...2FArchitecture
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Senior Moment Member

I crack up when people quit and the management says, "Wait! We'll match (or raise) the offer you've received from the new place!" No kidding? Why didn't you do this before I hit the door? Mismanagement, that's why.
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:52 PM
same but different

Chris, wish the best for you to overcome your problems. Its seems the transportation issue will work out ok.

I hate beating my head against the wall with management. I saw something today that gave me a chuckle. This is a lame attempt to give some humor. I think most of us have been there.

Last edited by don71; February 15th, 2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: fix link
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Gary

Sorry to hear about what's going on in your life Chris.

There are two things that might help.

When I have needed a job, I sit in a quiet corner and imagine how I would feel on my way to working at that ideal job. I don't even think what the job is, just how I would feel. If I can make the image funny or in some way memorable, it seems to work better. Once I get a good image, I let it be and don't revisit it. It works amazingly well.

Second, try looking for a job at a Consulting Engineering company. They would love someone like you with real-world experience to balance all their ivory-tower engineers.

All the best.
Old February 16th, 2016, 06:58 PM

Thanks, guys
Today I found my rebuttal to the asinine appraisal signed and on my desk. And he was cordial if not friendly. No issues. MAybe I get some counseling to learn how to deal with antics like that. Company web intranet from HR says, if you are having problems, communicate... which is what I did. I assume the whole thing went off to HR and they can stew on it for a while.

Meanwhile, the perfect for me job appeared at GM Lansing- engineering. Submitted application after making a new e-mail address.

$400 to take a test to become qualified to work at this other place I would be perfect for.

Thanks to all y'all for your suport. I stressed all weekend. Found some interesting things in the notes I have collected though.
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Don't stress, Chris.

And I know this isn't something you can say to engineers, but don't obsess over it, either.

I got fired a bit over a year ago. The tax forms I just got in the mail prove that they spent a cool $100,000 in order to do it.

I was doing my job well, had zero complaints, zero problems, and was popular with my coworkers. BUT, I was comfortable saying true and unflattering things about the administration and their rank incompetence (couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag, and couldn't find their own ******** with both hands and a hound dog), and the vice president had developed a personal dislike for me, so one day when I got to work there was a hangin' party a-waitin' for me, and I departed shortly afterward with a few checks and a supermarket bag full of personal junk and condiments (too cheap and disorganized to go to Receiving and get me a box), and with a whole lot of newly cleared days on my schedule.

Within a few days I had interviewed at a better place, and within a couple of months I'd started my new job, in a place where I couldn't complain about the management, because it's great, where it's pleasant to work, and where they pay me more and give me more respect.

You're an experienced and well qualified professional. You'll either conquer this stupid situation, or find one that's better for you.

Just relax and, as we say, "Bastardi non Carborundum."

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:16 PM

The bastards are not silicon carbide? Kidding, I know what it's supposed to mean. Ominous Dominus, and all that.

I run my mouth a bit at work, but it's usually about other departments.

This works for women, as well as jobs, and it is "a man with options cannot be hurt."
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Y'know, I just reread this, and I think it's actually "Illegitimi non Carborundum."

- Eric
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:00 AM

Eric It's really not very good Latin
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, I know. Heck, it's not even Pig Latin.

- Eric
Old February 18th, 2016, 07:22 AM

I heard of reductio ad Hitlerum recently, which is a dog-Latin (which is what this sort of joke Latin apparently is called) logical fallacy, which apparently means the logical fallacy of winning the argument by calling someone a ****.
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:31 AM

It sounds like "don't let the bastards grind you down" to me.
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Octania
It sounds like "don't let the bastards grind you down" to me.
Just remember HR does not work with you in most cases. Sometimes its better to " say nothing and write alot less" . Its funny how things work out in life, when one door closes another will open, you may have to walk a little of the hallway in between doors, but for sure, another will open with great benefits.
I wish you all the best in your situation.

Eric
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:11 AM

Well, it's time for that other door to open.

The site manager comes up at 9am today and says he needs to talk up front. In there is also the bldg operations mgr and HR on the phone. Here is your papers to sign, you can come back after 5 or before 8 am and we will gather up your things. Now I have to find my list of tidbits and tools that I brought in. Get all my papers of interest.

It was great for a while there.

"I crack up when people quit and the management says, "Wait! We'll match (or raise) the offer you've received from the new place!" No kidding? Why didn't you do this before I hit the door? Mismanagement, that's why."
===
similar story
I am at DTW airport one day, taking the first ever aeromexico flight out for a work assignment deep into Mexico. Resting with eyes closed. "Clees Weet?"

I open the eyes to see Irfan Bhatti, with whom I worked at Fasco. Have not seen him in 5 yrs or so. He relates the story how he asked for a raise, they denied, he turns in his notice, suddenly they can find a 50% raise. He was not interested.

So, did Fasco move me into some of his tasks including FEA using IDEAS software- which I had some exposure to in school? Of course not. Why use your existing engineers for their engineering skills?

Last edited by Octania; February 23rd, 2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:15 AM
Administrator

The ol good news bad news talk... Good news your check came early this week, bad news its your last one, beat it...

Sorry to hear you lost the war Chris. Another door will open.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:16 AM
Senior Moment Member

One door closes another opens.

Quick Reply: I gotta vent....