Suspension and weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Suspension and weatherstripping

OK I need to do bushings and springs and weatherstripping all the way around. Where do I find this stuff?? Also can I put power brakes in and if so does someone have a parts listing? Thanks for the help.
Old August 28th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by SixtyThreeF85
OK I need to do bushings and springs and weatherstripping all the way around. Where do I find this stuff?? Also can I put power brakes in and if so does someone have a parts listing? Thanks for the help.
Google is a good place to start.

Steele Rubber amazingly has all the repro weatherstripping for the 1961-63 cars. I was blown away, but I was able to get everything for my 62 wagon from them. Kanter sells all the suspension, steering, and brake parts, as does Jackson Old Time Parts.

The brake booster will need to come from a parts car. Part numbers and diagrams won't help - you need to find a complete setup for sale. Buick Skylark is the same. It mounts under the dash and acts on the pedal separately from the M/C. Frankly, I do not think you need it. My 62 manual brakes are fine. Get the factory service manuals for diagrams.
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Check out Fusick also.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....nts.asp?dept=1
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
Fusick has nearly nothing for the 61-63 Y-body cars. Ironically, OPGI lists more parts for them than Fusick.
Old August 28th, 2015, 01:38 PM

Kanter seems to have it all, albeit a very large price tag.. Weatherstripping kits from Kanter $1190.00 and from Steele $691.00. Great information Mr. Joe. As far as the disc brakes it is more of a visual thing for me when I change wheels than a performance issue. My car has been fitted with a 2nd generation small block chevy and a 700r4 trans makes a decent package, I want to change the rear end as well since gears are scarce and I am assuming a chevy II rear end wont be hard to mate up. I have all kinds of 215 engine stuff left over from th ehostile take over if your interested. Thanks again bud
Old August 28th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Kanter seems to have it all, albeit a very large price tag.. Weatherstripping kits from Kanter $1190.00 and from Steele $691.00. Great information Mr. Joe. As far as the disc brakes it is more of a visual thing for me when I change wheels than a performance issue. My car has been fitted with a 2nd generation small block chevy and a 700r4 trans makes a decent package, I want to change the rear end as well since gears are scarce and I am assuming a chevy II rear end wont be hard to mate up. I have all kinds of 215 engine stuff left over from th ehostile take over if your interested. Thanks again bud
Price shop Jacksons against Kanter for the suspension parts. I've started using Jacksons now.

The Chevy II is leaf spring, the Y-body is coil spring. The ONLY axle that fits easily is the stock one. Otherwise, plan on completely changing the rear suspension.

Too bad about the belly button motor. Here's an example of what you can do with the 215 architecture. This one is 6.0 liters, by the way.

Old August 30th, 2015, 05:38 AM

I'm still searching for springs? Front and rear.. Speaking of springs I need a new set of hood springs too. hood does not stay up at all

Last edited by SixtyThreeF85; August 30th, 2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old August 30th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm still searching for springs? Front and rear.. Speaking of springs I need a new set of hood springs too. hood does not stay up at all
Did you "search" the Kanter website?