Installing a new Windshield

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2014, 09:28 PM

Installing a new Windshield

I will be installing a new windshield in my 66 project and looking for advice. What do most of you use to seal the window in place? Butyl tape?
Old December 23rd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RandyS
I will be installing a new windshield in my 66 project and looking for advice. What do most of you use to seal the window in place? Butyl tape?
I've used the butyl tape on a number of cars in the past with no problems, but I think I'm going to try the urethane next time, as many folks seem to prefer it.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've used the butyl tape on a number of cars in the past with no problems, but I think I'm going to try the urethane next time, as many folks seem to prefer it.
Does the urethane come in a canister like caulk? I have heard that the newer glass is thinner than the older stuff. How do you adjust the depth of the glass using the urethane?

Last edited by RandyS; December 23rd, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RandyS
Does the urethane come in a canister like caulk?
Yes. The Fisher Body Manual shows you how to cut the tip to shape the bead properly.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes. The Fisher Body Manual shows you how to cut the tip to shape the bead properly.
Does it also show how to set the depth of the glass?
Old December 23rd, 2014, 10:09 AM

That's one thing you might do well to have a professional come and take care of.

Low cost, great benefit.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 10:45 AM

You can use short segments of the butyl to keep the glass at proper height, perhaps using a little urethane under and over the butyl. Also use the setting blocks that come with the butyl tape to keep the glass raised correctly. Sometimes its difficult to get a good seal with butyl, everything needs to be really warm so its squishy enough to press the glass down into it. If its too cold its hard to press the glass uniformly around to get a complete seal. However you can then come back with the urethane and seal again after the butyl is in. Just try to keep the urethane OUT of your trim clips, once it hardens its hell to get it out and quite possibly your trim will not go in to the clip enough to lock in. Or wait to install the trim clips but be sure to leave room for them/ trim the urethane to allow room to install them after it sets up. I dont know its pretty tough stuff once it hardens.
I used the urethane to seal the front and rear of my intake manifold, I havnt tested it yet but it seems it should be ok. It cant be any worse than the rubber seals that keep squeezing out.
Steve

Last edited by steverw; December 23rd, 2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more
Old December 23rd, 2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
That's one thing you might do well to have a professional come and take care of.

Low cost, great benefit.
Agreed. For $155 total price the glass company came out and installed the windshield in my driveway.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Agreed. For $155 total price the glass company came out and installed the windshield in my driveway.
That was for the Windshield and installation? Wow! How recently?
Old December 23rd, 2014, 02:41 PM

I have a fellow lined up to install both my front and rear for $160 (glass not included).
My concern is quality though. I've heard the installer should create a dam with thin foam tape like 1/2" around the bead in order to stop the smearing and showing up inside the trim edge. Does anyone know the exact details on this process?

Last edited by RROLDSX; December 23rd, 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:47 PM
Administrator

I've always had a professional install mine. The caulk is ok but if you use too much it tends ooze out the trim in our Texas sun.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 06:41 PM

Therefore the requirement for a foam dam. I believe the installer is supposed to temporarily position the glass, trace around it with a marker, remove the glass, then apply a quarter inch foam sticky strip approximately 1/2" (I am uncertain on the exact width) inside the trace line then apply the caulking. The dam prevents the smearing (due to heat or whatever) that can be seen through the glass. I sound like I know the exact procedure but I don't and would appreciate any experts that know for certain.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM

If you want the urethane method then LET A PRO DO IT.

Foam dams are typically used on urethane install jobs but it's not very common.....most places just lay down the bead and set down the glass.

Butyl roll is more "user friendly" for the DIY'er.....no special chaulk guns required, less of a potential mess, etc.

If you need some butyl tape I have two brand new rolls of 3M windshield butyl I got this summer (3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer)...one is 5/16" and the other is 3/8". New in the box and both include setting blocks.

Will let these go very reasonably - $10 each + shipping.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post

Foam dams are typically used on urethane install jobs but it's not very common.....most places just lay down the bead and set down the glass.

Butyl roll is more "user friendly" for the DIY'er.....no special chaulk guns required, less of a potential mess, etc.

If you need some butyl tape I have two brand new rolls of 3M windshield butyl I got this summer (3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer)...one is 5/16" and the other is 3/8". New in the box and both include setting blocks.

Patton, I'll take them if the OP passes.
Old December 24th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post

PM sent.
Old December 24th, 2014, 07:50 PM

I had the local Gerber Collision and Glass come out and do my windshield in the driveway this summer, I believe it was around $150 installed.

When I set the appointment, I specifically requested an experienced technician who knew how to do an old car properly. When the guy showed up, first thing he said was "I'm an old fart, I've been doing this a long time and I'll get it done right." The job is great, with no excessive urethane oozing out. I'm very happy.
Old December 25th, 2014, 06:58 AM
major noob

I don't mean to brag but I installed mine 6 months ago with the urethane no problem and its still holding strong knock on wood lol