Infamous A body lean?

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Infamous A body lean?

As many have seen in my other thread I am rebuilding the suspension in my 71 S. Yesterday I was able to put her back on wheels and noticed the drivers side is sitting higher than the passenger side by about 3/4". The only suspension pieces I didnt replace are the springs and rear end housing CA bushing. The car also has new body mounts. All suspension components were loose when car was placed back on the wheels. Note the car does not have front fenders and hood back on yet but that shouldn't cause this issue. I measured from the garage floor to the bottom of frame at the door gaps as the manual says and I also measured from the floor the rear wheel well lip. Unfortunately I left those measurements at home when I left for work. But I was getting consistent measurements at all 3 places of about 3/4" from the drivers to passenger side at the measuring points. I checked the front springs and they are in the pocket, the rear springs coil end both at pointing forward andthe suspension is still not torqued. I jumped on the front frame area on both sides to move the suspension incase any binding and also bounced the rear on both sides to free any possible binding. I didnt realized the the rear spring coil end were supposed to point any specific direct but if I understand the manual right it says both coil end should point to the drivers side? (left) Which doesnt make sense to me if there true is an effect of this because I would think then both should point like both inward or outward. I can not tell you if the lean was there before i rebuilt the suspension. Any thoughts on what to do next would be appreciated.
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:10 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Magna86
....The only suspension pieces I didnt replace are the springs .......Any thoughts on what to do next would be appreciated.

are you thinking what Im thinking

I replaced every suspension peice in my car bushings, ball joints, springs, everything. there is maybe a 1/4" difference when the car is measured from the ground to various points, the rockers the fenders or the frame.

I cant be 100% certain that variance isnt due to the garage floor which appears flat and level but who knows

so if your floor is flat and level...if it is then maybe its the springs its not unusual to have the drivers side wear more than the passenger side...

on my truck w torsion bars the drivers side is cranked 3/4 of the way in the pass side not even 1/2 way cranked the drvrs side still sits a little lower than the pass side

oops reread drvrs side is higher maybe you swapped the springs sides while apart ? either way the springs are suspect...I would index the rear springs properly tho, I *think* the way they are supposed to be indexed reduces axle wrap up

Last edited by RetroRanger; April 15th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

My car has always sat lower in the right rear. ALWAYS lol I have tried different springs, everything in the rear is new I just gave up and it does not bug me very much. Just keep this in mind the right rear is the side that squats when you accelerate. Is it a possibility you over tightened your control arms and they are binding up ?
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Nope all the control arms are sitting not torqued at the moment. The springs could be swapped since I moved them around the garage a few times before cleaning and painting them. But if one spring was suspect wouldnt the that one place see low or high and not the whole side of car?( i know possible i swapped both opposite but who knows) Can we agree we dont think the frame is twisted since the difference is consistent front to rear? (though this frame has had a hard life with previous straightening repairs)Did I understand the manual right that both rear spring coil ends should point towards the drivers side?
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:14 AM

If it was straightened, i would lean toward a bent frame. My 64 had a bent driverside frame horn, part accident damage, part rust issue, part going air born over a hill. The car always sat lower on the driver side, front and back, when i swapped the frame, it was obvious how much it was bent.

You could shim the spring on the lower side, or cut part of the higher side coil, do so a little at a time and check, 1 coil dropped my front end 2" roughly. I cut mine with an air powered cut off wheel with the spring submerged in water to help control heat build up.
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:53 AM

1) Are the springs correctly in their spring pockets
2) This might be built in so that with a driver it sits level

Just throwing this out there
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Yep front springs are in their pockets. If the frame was bend wouldn't it only show a difference in height where repair/bend was?