Upper control arm bushing sleeve removal

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2014, 12:00 PM

Upper control arm bushing sleeve removal

Not sure if this is the right place to put it. Does anyone have any new tricks for trying to get the outer sleeves of the upper control arm bushings out? I could have the stupid things done in the next couple of hours if those were out but torch, hammer, chisel, air hammer, grinder, and crying have not made the @&*( things move yet.

I would just buy new shafts off ebay, cut the ones I have in half, remove them and beat the hell out of the sleeves with a hammer, but I've already spent way more than I can afford to on the current part of the project...
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Those bushings get pressed out from the inside of the control arm. Rob Young had a good description and pics of how to remove them when he did his. I used his method and it worked well for me when I did mine too.

Here's a link to that part of his thread.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Those bushings get pressed out from the inside of the control arm. Rob Young had a good description and pics of how to remove them when he did his. I used his method and it worked well for me when I did mine too.

Here's a link to that part of his thread.
Beautiful. That's what I was looking for, thanks.

Wish I knew that before I spent a few hours beating the living **** out of them. Oh well, the bushings are out. Once again, the solve-all trick worked - get mad. Really, really mad.

Only downside is now I have to re-thread one of the shafts. Getting a die in the morning...