How do you remove radiator core support?

Old October 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM

How do you remove radiator core support?

I am in the process of dismantling the front end on my '72 Cutlass Supreme. I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the radiator core support so I can clean it up and paint it? The condensor and radiator are out. There are two large bolts mounting to the frame with some rubber bushings (one under where the battery tray was) that look like they attach to then frame. Are these the main attaching points of the support. If so they are rusted to the frame and won't move. I have already found all the 5/16" bolts to remove. Any tips or help would be much appreciated since I would like to work on this project this coming weekend.
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Mmhmm, those bolts need to come out. It is usually a threaded shaft with a nut on the top and the bottom.
Make sure you label the rubber pieces and shims in numbered baggies or something, so you don't put it back in lopsided and have your fenders and hood and everything not line up right again.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72rocket
I am in the process of dismantling the front end on my '72 Cutlass Supreme. I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the radiator core support so I can clean it up and paint it? The condensor and radiator are out. There are two large bolts mounting to the frame with some rubber bushings (one under where the battery tray was) that look like they attach to then frame. Are these the main attaching points of the support. If so they are rusted to the frame and won't move. I have already found all the 5/16" bolts to remove. Any tips or help would be much appreciated since I would like to work on this project this coming weekend.
Remove hood. Remove outer and inner front fenders. Remove two large bolts and rubber isolators attaching core support to frame.

The problems are usually the two large bolts, as you found, and the four bolts on the leading edge of each plastic inner fender, particularly the ones under the battery tray.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks guys, I will use your tips. The bolts under the battery tray came out fine. Guess I'm lucky no acid has ever been there. Just surface rust so far.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
IT'S REALLY A 78

I did this recently on my 78 cutlass salon, I did it the hard way.....leaving the outer front fenders in place, this worked out ok, everything lined up very nicely. it's not an easy job, but it can be done
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It can be done on 77-85
I don't think a 72 will be as nice to work with.
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jeffs 89 cutlass salon
I did this recently on my 78 cutlass salon, I did it the hard way.....leaving the outer front fenders in place, this worked out ok, everything lined up very nicely. it's not an easy job, but it can be done
I've also done it that way on a G-body with no problems. It's probably possible on an A-body but the closeout pieces that go between the leading edge of the fenders and the core support would need to come out, as would the bumper. Removing the fenders first makes life a lot easier.
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:06 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the tips guys. I got it out tonight, didn't have to pull the fenders. They didn't move when I finally got the support out. Once I get it stripped and painted (along with the part of the frame I can get to) I'll get it back in. No rust on the inside or outside of the front fenders so that's less I have to worry about. I'll let everyone know how it lines up when i get to that project. Thanks again.