WTB , 1970 - 72 442 Convert .

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM

WTB , 1970 - 72 442 Convert .

I'm posting this for a friend . She was looking at my 442 AND another 442 Convert ( Red W- 30 ) that is going back to Mecum because it was NOT what was being represented .. Showfloor @ Browns Classic Auto's .. They have nothing for her .
She WANTS = Red or Blue , Automatic , White Top and interior , A.C. .
Budget = 45,000 USD .

She has been chasing ebay and Craigs List , seems excited to find something .
Thanks in advance for any leads .. Jim Tuma ..
Old July 23rd, 2015, 07:21 PM

Jim you have a PM.Neeley
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:59 AM
1971 442 convert

She may want to consider finding the car she wants and going after it.
It never hurts to make an offer and sometimes the better cars are not being flogged on Ebay. Just my opinion.

Roger
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:10 PM

Just putting it out there

If she could get used to triple black, my (cutlass convertible ) is scheduled to hit e bay this Thursday. 455 numbers matching and recently rebuilt; engine, transmission, rear posi traction, new exhaust, new convertible top cylinders and hoses, recent suspension rebuild, new radiator, new fuel pump, 99% parts replaced or rebuilt . I did read her want list but when she sees mine she may like it. A/C works good, Auto, rebuilt gauges, show car quality. Has won first place at shows. Special order car. Good luck with the search.
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:58 PM

Extremely nice Cutlass Vert , Gary ..

You have a very nice option and especially well built car .
I will walk this buyer through what you have , see if the colors work for her .
Triple Black always works for me .. AND , I love your attention to detail and function . Good stuff .
Your albums do a nice job . I'm sure you will do well either way .
I'm waiting for pictures from another forum member , so I would say this lady now has 2 excellent choices . Both of the cars are really special , and would be significantly better than what she was looking at .
If you want to email me direct = jimi2ma@gmail.com , maybe you could include a few details like driveability , paint quality ( good driver is best ) , any future needs ? and pricing ..
Thanks for considering . Jim Tuma .
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:59 PM

motoexotica, the place selling my car has a red 72 442 convertible they are selling. I don't know anything about it but I did check the bbb and they have an A rating or I would not have signed on to sell mine. If you call them and tell them she wants a red 442 it may be what she wants. Good luck.
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:27 AM

This is a great side by side .

Thanks Gary .
The red one is a 1971 in their ad . Car looks really good .... a few " bubbles "
around the R.R. lower trunk corner , frt bumper to grill openings may look off , but is very nice under hood .
What will be most important is seeing your car next to this one . This will be a good comparison for her . She seems to be a good person over the phone , and is just sensing the value of becoming a participant in the C.O. World .
I would value your opinion after seeing yours and the red one when you drop yours off . What I like about yours is the thoroughness of the full engine rebuild , Gardner exhaust ( IMHO always worth it ) , and attention to detail ..
Thanks , JT
Old July 28th, 2015, 02:55 PM

my car is not at motoexotica. If you call them and ask for Mark at 636-600-4600 he can send you pictures. Your client should see them and compare the two cars. My car is going to be listed on eBay Thursday and those pictures will be on there for all to see.
Old July 31st, 2015, 10:24 AM

Good morning Jim. Switch phones and don't have your #. Can you give me a call? Thanks!
Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jimi2much
I'm posting this for a friend . She was looking at my 442 AND another 442 Convert ( Red W- 30 ) that is going back to Mecum because it was NOT what was being represented .. Showfloor @ Browns Classic Auto's .. They have nothing for her .
She WANTS = Red or Blue , Automatic , White Top and interior , A.C. .
Budget = 45,000 USD .

She has been chasing ebay and Craigs List , seems excited to find something .
Thanks in advance for any leads .. Jim Tuma ..
Jim,

So the is the Consignor taking the car back from the buyer/brown's and Mecum is reselling with proper disclosure?
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:12 AM

I'm having trouble believing (not really but surprised) that she can't a suitable car in that price range or less. A nice '72 442 350 Conv. should not be a problem to find or even build within that budget. True, a '72 SBO isn't a '70 or '71 455, but nonetheless, they make awesome drivers and won't drain her wallet to buy and maintain. I personally prefer the '72 because of several things; exterior trim, headlight surrounds, tail lights, and the 350...... I've always been a SBO guy.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:33 AM

Stefano , good morning .

Yes it is going back to Consignor .
There was an offer from Brown's to keep the car at an adjusted price , but the parties could not reach agreement . And , this would have been a very good result . There is a very strong market for Clone - Replica - Tribute cars , and this specific car should probably remain that way .
The unfortunate part is that there IS Canadian documentation for a Metallic Orange , 4 spd. , and I can not remember about the top / Interior / Buckets - console options on the car . To change this car back to that would most likely cost 40 - 60 thousand dollars , and you would end up with a car that might be worth 50 - 60 , bad economics . There was a lot of interest in the car as it was . When I say that it is going back to consignor , there seems to be the possibility that that car may be going to another Mecum Auction . Not certain .
My car is at Brown's for the immediate future , so I will let you know where the Red Convert ends up . And I probably should get a picture of the Canadian Documentation . Seems like every car has a story , and this car began it's life Met. Orange , 4 spd , convert .. From Canada.
Good question . JT
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:52 AM

Dave : Another good point .

I tried to get several friends to ****** up your Bamboo Yellow ? Convert , from about 18 - 24 months ago.. That was a great car at at good price .
I wish that I NEVER would have fallen under the spell of my 67 442 . But that is a different story . One of the facts of car searching life seems to be when a person is set on a particular YEAR - COLOR - OPTION reasoning goes out the window . The parameters of life on the streets of Phoenix AZ , are really dictated by the heat that we deal with daily . AND , combine this with a desire to occasionally do the Sedona , to Vegas , to L . A . or Diego , and the cooling system - engine reliability - A.C. become the priorities . Kind of a different set of priorities .
I have been waiting for the perfect SBO 70 - 72 Convert to appear . And , I think Elbie would be open to a modified or non original 442 platform . Points well taken .. JT
Old August 18th, 2015, 08:38 PM

My dad's old blue one may be for sale. I say "may be" because the new owner would like mine but needs to sell it. Working a/c and he added tilt among a few other things. Was always an AZ car until he shipped it up. Was also lady owned for a long time. Originally Viking blue now astro. Blue interior with bench, auto. He drives it and if it wasn't for the 134 conversion and cog fan belts it would have scored 990 points at this years nats. Price is over her budget though for what I think he may want. email if she'd have an interest.20141108_1046511.jpg
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:15 AM

Cool

Hey Jason! My name is Elbe and Jim alerted me about the 442 that you recently listed. I did get an opportunity to see restoration Pics and I wanted to know what your Dad is asking for the car. Let me know the lowest he would go as the car would get a great home.
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:07 AM

elbie...pm'd you.
Old January 29th, 2016, 07:54 PM

Is this car for sale Please pm me. Beautiful car!!!
Old January 29th, 2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
Is this car for sale Please pm me. Beautiful car!!!
Which car are you referring to?
Old January 30th, 2016, 04:32 PM

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm interested in the blue convertible '71. I believe it's your dad's car. Please pm me if you can. Thanks, Twilightblue28A