'69 hurst/olds where might you be?

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2013, 09:36 PM

'69 hurst/olds where might you be?

Chevelle diehard looking for a 1969 hurst/olds.
yes I have been converted.
I would love to own a '69 hurst/olds.
anyone. anyone?
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Oldsdruid

They're out there, but with only about 915 built, not exactly common. You'll need to be careful about clones or "tributes" because there are a bunch of those floating around too.

www.hurstolds.com is your first stop for information. There's a good article on the 69 in the NUMBERS tab. H/OCA can run the VIN on most H/O produced and tell you whether the car is the real deal.

With an unrestored H/O you can expect the usual late-60s GM issues, same as Chevelles. Seems H/O were also prone to losing their original drivetrains, so educate yourself on what is correct for the 1969 car before shelling out the big bucks these cars command.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:57 AM

Cincinnati Oh

My mother in-law just decided to sell her 69 Hurst/Olds 442. Been in her family since new. Not restored, all original, I think it has about 55k miles. She asked me if I knew anyone looking for a car, I googled and found this site.
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM

Ventura I, I would be interested in more info on your M in Ls Hurst/Olds. Please PM me with details and pics if available. Thanks. Rusty Boltz.
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Oldsdruid

Jersey, you better jump fast! Rusty's throwing a cockblock on you!
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ventura I
My mother in-law just decided to sell her 69 Hurst/Olds 442. Been in her family since new. Not restored, all original, I think it has about 55k miles. She asked me if I knew anyone looking for a car, I googled and found this site.
Do you have any pics you can post of the car?
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM

I'm getting a ton of interest in this car (private messages). I will post some pictures as soon as I receive them. She told me she would take $35k for the car. The Vin # is 344879m379339

Who should have the first opportunity to purchase (I'm new to this site)?
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM

I say whomever show up with cash first!
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:12 PM

Pictures

Not the best, but better than nothing. Don't think the interior has been vaccumed in 18 years. Car has not been driven more than 500 miles in 18 years, but started every year. It has been stored in a garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
69 Olds Front Side.jpg (63.2 KB, 378 views)
69 Olds Rear Side.jpg (60.5 KB, 349 views)
69 Olds Engine.jpg (56.5 KB, 363 views)
69 Olds Interior Front.jpg (64.3 KB, 357 views)
69 Olds Interior Rear.jpg (57.9 KB, 297 views)
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Wow wish I had the cash!!
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM
morgan

if it all checks out 35k is a great price... surprised it didnt sell right away
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:45 PM

Well it was Jersey who originally posted the thread that you responded to ,so he should get first crack at it to be fair.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:58 PM

were is the car located?
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM

Not the best, but better than nothing. Don't think the interior has been vaccumed in 18 years. Car has not been driven more than 500 miles in 18 years, but started every year. It has been stored in a garage.
PM sent....put me in coach!
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM

I want,,,
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Does it have a/c? being out here in phoenix az,Its nice to have it
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM

No A/C seen in pics.
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:18 AM

Talked with my mother in-law last night. Told her the car had many buyers, she asked if her price was too low, I guess it is. She wants to do some more research, so for now the car is NOT FOR SALE. She does deserve close to what the car is really worth, it's been in her family for 44 years.

Thanks for all the interest.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:04 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Best thing to do is....

1) Compile any and ALL paperwork associated with the car including well just everything she may have maintenance records, window sticker, protect-o-plate, literature, etc.
2) Put it all in a binder with page protectors
3) Clean it up
4) Gather any parts that are associated with the car and put them safely in a box in the truck
5) Get an appraisal or have one of us that is close to the car go over it to see if it needs anything
6) I would try to keep it in the family but if she has to sell then I wouldn't put a car of this stature on fleabay without a healthy reserve but rather in a well published magazine such as Hemmings or the like.
Just my $.02 as usual
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:26 AM
morgan

Talked with my mother in-law last night. Told her the car had many buyers, she asked if her price was too low, I guess it is. She wants to do some more research, so for now the car is NOT FOR SALE. She does deserve close to what the car is really worth, it's been in her family for 44 years.

Thanks for all the interest.
smart decision
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Since the car is no longer for sale. And if the car is in Cincinnati? Tim Murphy is in Alexandria Ky and is a Hurst Olds and 69 W car expert. Possibly contact him for an appraisal.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks, yes suburb of Cincinnati
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:19 AM

You will want to get photo's of the data tag , Head Leters ( front driver side ) will have D,C,E,F . If you check vin with a google search of 69 H/o regristry you can find some demer paperwork info on it to help say it was car xyz of the 900 plus built. Jeff 1969hurst is a realy good place to look on this site also . Trans will have a tag with a o h stamp and a number on it . Close ups of intake with breather off, wheels , heads, mirrors , and paint code will be a plus in trying to sell . weather on Ebay Classic olds or other sites .
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Oldsdruid

Ventura- make sure you or your MIL gets in touch with the H/OCA. This car appears to be pretty much unrestored unmolested original and that is important with these cars, especially if they've been off the radar for close to 20 years.

H/OCA or Tim can help you establish a fair value for it.

Firefrost- thought the 69 had only C (A/C) or D (non-air) heads?

Last edited by rocketraider; March 13th, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:25 AM

if that intake manifold is correct 405233 casting.... and the D heads are in place... BIG BONUS.

It would sell immediately for 35K in that condition.

Much, much higher possibly at auction. A good cleaning would do wonders for the auction price.

And, a list made by one of the experts of all the present and intact pieces, their date codes, etc. showing how close to original it is.

This one might best be left UNRESTORED, as a survivor. You only get 'original' once. A restoration makes it all pretty but destroys the original.

OP "jersey2phx" - you might do well to go ahead and procure a "tribute" car. Far less money, same look and feel, no one but an Olds expert will know- or care. You can do as you wish to it w/o any worry about "ruining" an original priceless artifact. Example- correct 4052323 intake manifold might be found after years of searching for 10-11k whereas I can make one that looks right and fits right for much, much less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150772154268...84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by Octania; March 13th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Ventura- make sure you or your MIL gets in touch with the H/OCA. This car appears to be pretty much unrestored unmolested original and that is important with these cars, especially if they've been off the radar for close to 20 years.

H/OCA or Tim can help you establish a fair value for it.

Firefrost- thought the 69 had only C (A/C) or D (non-air) heads?

D only but many out there have been changed I know of one in town that has c's on saw the car with one D and one off He could not or would not find The right D so he popped c's on I . I was told D heads tend to crack due to heat from the large non rotating valves like to 70 "s have if rode hard ??
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:42 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Nit picking here but...no such animal as a Hurst/Olds 442 in 69 (or any other year). Its one or the other either its an H/O or a 442. So when you do advertise just list it as an H/O.
As far as cleaning it up other than washing the exterior and maybe vacuuming the carpet, removing junk from the trunk & glove box dont touch anything else. Why...you run the risk of destroying original markings, tags, paint imperfections etc...which are an important part of the cars originality and important for restoration documentation if needed. If I was purchasing it I would want to see it in its raw form. Cleaning would mean nothing to me. Infact if you did (over) clean it it would detract value IMO.
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Nit picking here but...no such animal as a Hurst/Olds 442 in 69 (or any other year). Its one or the other either its an H/O or a 442. So when you do advertise just list it as an H/O.
As far as cleaning it up other than washing the exterior and maybe vacuuming the carpet, removing junk from the trunk & glove box dont touch anything else. Why...you run the risk of destroying original markings, tags, paint imperfections etc...which are an important part of the cars originality and important for restoration documentation if needed. If I was purchasing it I would want to see it in its raw form. Cleaning would mean nothing to me. Infact if you did (over) clean it it would detract value IMO.
You are going to get all kinds of opinions. I agree with droldsmorland. Do NOT do anything with it and do NOT let anyone else do so, at this point.

You need to get an expert evaluation of what you have.

I too would prefer that you do not even try to get it running, do not clean or wash anything, at this point.

This is a very sought after collector car. One of the top Oldsmobiles on the planet. The authenticity, history and condition will have a direct impact on the current market value.
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:32 AM

If only I could sell my house and live in that car...........
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM

1968 442 ho
Attached Images
1968 Olds 442 H O.jpg (73.4 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by Stefano; March 13th, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

OK technicalities, technicalities, technicalities.....Yes a 68 H/O was built out of a 442 as per the vin but none-the-less it has been converted into an H/O. So its no longer a 442 IMO. If that was the case why not call it a H/O W30 442...the scoops, air cleaner and red wells are there. To truly be a 68 442 it would need to have the 400 engine. Again IMO. legally I think a dealer can advertise almost anything, at least back before the age of lawyers. Intriguing bit of old advertising thanks for showing it Stefano. (FYI this is in regards to the 68 car pictured in the advertising not the 69 for possible sale for all you other nit pickers like me). Now to find that elusive 68, W30, H/O 4 speed convertable....what if hugh?
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM
morgan

OK technicalities, technicalities, technicalities.....Yes a 68 H/O was built out of a 442 as per the vin but none-the-less it has been converted into an H/O. So its no longer a 442 IMO. If that was the case why not call it a H/O W30 442...the scoops, air cleaner and red wells are there. To truly be a 68 442 it would need to have the 400 engine. Again IMO. legally I think a dealer can advertise almost anything, at least back before the age of lawyers. Intriguing bit of old advertising thanks for showing it Stefano. (FYI this is in regards to the 68 car pictured in the advertising not the 69 for possible sale for all you other nit pickers like me). Now to find that elusive 68, W30, H/O 4 speed convertable....what if hugh?
I think its just an ad to try and sell cars and service??... I didn't really take the wording literally, besides have you seen today's local car commercials on television...annoying but amusing
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Tough crowd.

I thought it was a very cool vintage adv and somewhat appropriate to the discussion.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Octania;520049]if that intake manifold is correct 405233 casting.... and the D heads are in place... BIG BONUS.

It would sell immediately for 35K in that condition.

Much, much higher possibly at auction. A good cleaning would do wonders for the auction price.

And, a list made by one of the experts of all the present and intact pieces, their date codes, etc. showing how close to original it is.

This one might best be left UNRESTORED, as a survivor. You only get 'original' once. A restoration makes it all pretty but destroys the original.

OP "jersey2phx" - you might do well to go ahead and procure a "tribute" car. Far less money, same look and feel, no one but an Olds expert will know- or care. You can do as you wish to it w/o any worry about "ruining" an original priceless artifact. Example- correct 4052323 intake manifold might be found after years of searching for 10-11k whereas I can make one that looks right and fits right for much, much less:

I am not completely sold on a tribute car (clone) I dont mind spending the extra $$ I am not an olds expert, but I have several friends out here that are.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:20 PM

jersey what are you looking to spend and what kind of car are you looking for? by that i mean complete no work needed to a resto mod project that kind of stuff
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
jersey what are you looking to spend and what kind of car are you looking for? by that i mean complete no work needed to a resto mod project that kind of stuff
I am looking for a complete no work needed.
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM
C.W. Griswold

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Jersey, you better jump fast! Rusty's throwing a cockblock on you!
Let me tell you all this lady will only do what is best for this car. I met her and her husband 15 years ago and have probably just about driven her nuts over this car for the majority of my life. I have been fortunate enough to drive it on more than one occasion and those two days are the best for me so far! That being said, I would greatly appreciate the chance to make my life dream come true. We have been talking about this for 15 of my 33 years and I care very deeply about the owners of this car and their wishes to preserve this car and not to restoresit. This shouldn't be a car to make money on, nor should it be all about money for this car represents much more than that to her. Anyone that really knows them, knows that. It really bothered me to hear it described as if no one cares about it as a dirty old car that hasn't been cleaned in decades. It only takes a short conversation with her to realize just how important Chitty really is.
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:34 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by pogo69
I think its just an ad to try and sell cars and service??... I didn't really take the wording literally, besides have you seen today's local car commercials on television...annoying but amusing
HA...Yes ANNOYING way beyond entertainment. If you live anywhere around the Billy Fuccillo Hyundi, KIA dealers you will know what I mean. That and the lawyers ads! OYE! Cant watch TV anymore. Beyond annoying more like mind dribble Unlike the high end cars in which they let the car sell its self...Thanks for that. I guess when your peddling rice junk you have to have a gimmick.
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Daniel Marsh
Let me tell you all this lady will only do what is best for this car. I met her and her husband 15 years ago and have probably just about driven her nuts over this car for the majority of my life. I have been fortunate enough to drive it on more than one occasion and those two days are the best for me so far! That being said, I would greatly appreciate the chance to make my life dream come true. We have been talking about this for 15 of my 33 years and I care very deeply about the owners of this car and their wishes to preserve this car and not to restoresit. This shouldn't be a car to make money on, nor should it be all about money for this car represents much more than that to her. Anyone that really knows them, knows that. It really bothered me to hear it described as if no one cares about it as a dirty old car that hasn't been cleaned in decades. It only takes a short conversation with her to realize just how important Chitty really is.
Well said Dan! I hope you have the opportunity to take possession of this gem and treat it as the original owners would have and apparently have. I know when its time to pass the torch on my collection I would want the same.
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Old School Olds

Good thread.

Well said Dan! I hope you have the opportunity to take possession of this gem and treat it as the original owners would have and apparently have. I know when its time to pass the torch on my collection I would want the same.

So.. what's her name?

Chitty Chitty Woop Woop?

Quick Reply: '69 hurst/olds where might you be?