54' 88 2 Door hard top for long term project

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:10 PM
car guy

54' 88 2 Door hard top for long term project

I'm not getting any younger and I have decided its time to get serious about a car I have had dancing in my head for a few years now. I figure its going to take me 5 years or so to build the car and I want to enjoy it before I need a walker.

- must be a 54'
- must be a Holiday (hard top)
- car needs to be complete and together the more original and unmolested the better
-some rust accepible but the more rust free the better.
- 4-5hours from Dallas would be perfect but will ship the right car
- running would be great but does not have to run
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Registered Luser

It's about time........
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:04 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
It's about time........
My 40th b-day is in a few days...I'll call it "midlife crisis 88"
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Registered Luser

LOL! Welcome to the 40's....I have that crisis everyday....right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get that '60 Fiesta Wagon......
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Richard:

I will email my old buddy in Denver and see if he know of any. He has a sweet 54 HT that he has had for years. I will have the 54 convertible in July (crazy story) so it will be in Rowlett.
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
LOL! Welcome to the 40's....I have that crisis everyday....right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get that '60 Fiesta Wagon......
That will be sweet if you get it

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Richard:

I will email my old buddy in Denver and see if he know of any. He has a sweet 54 HT that he has had for years. I will have the 54 convertible in July (crazy story) so it will be in Rowlett.
Thanks
LMK
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:38 PM

Hi Richard

Mine would be a big project and shipping would add to the cost. But the 1967 Olds 98 will be heading to Texas the end of February. The buyer was going to trailer it, then decided to drive it home. I believe he has a three car trailer and I wonder if the two of you could make it worth while to move a couple cars? If you want to explore that idea I can ask him if he'd be open to it.

If the transportation could be worked out I may also be interested in your green wagon if your still thinking about selling it. John
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:43 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi Richard

Mine would be a big project and shipping would add to the cost. But the 1967 Olds 98 will be heading to Texas the end of February. The buyer was going to trailer it, then decided to drive it home. I believe he has a three car trailer and I wonder if the two of you could make it worth while to move a couple cars? If you want to explore that idea I can ask him if he'd be open to it.

If the transportation could be worked out I may also be interested in your green wagon if your still thinking about selling it. John
Where is the link for pics again. Its been a while since I have looked at yours.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM

Hi Richard
Here's the thread when I got the car. I can get more pictures if you want. I think most if not all the exterior trim is there as are the dash parts. The previous owner started taking things apart but I believe most pieces stayed with the car. The under hood harness is missing and the **** for the fan is also gone. The lower body looks solid although the floorboards will need patched or replaced. The windshield and I think both door windows are cracked so that likely led to leaks. Although I was under the dash and the fuse block and backside of the instruments look really nice so the water didn't rust up things there. The trunk looks pretty solid. When I got it the engine was out and partially disassembled. I'm thinking you'll not use the original drivetrain, but if you wanted to the 1955 4 door parts car has a complete 324 4bbl engine that is not frozen up. The tags expired in 1963 so this car has been sitting for a while! John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-my-list.html
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Richard,

As you know, I have a 54 Chevy long term project but the one car I have often thought of having in lieu of the Chevy is a 54 Olds 88. I'd be OK with a HT or sedan. I guess I'll need to just watch you build yours and suffer in the privacy of my house. But if you would find 2 nice ones.......

Brian
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Hmmm, I wish I was turning 40...again! Midlife crisis, had mine @ 30, lol. Great choice in cars Richard, good luck with your quest. What direction are you going to take this project?
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Well welcome to the lost in the fifties club, good choice of year of Old's. Wish I was young enough to have a midlife crisis....Tedd
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:47 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi Richard
Here's the thread when I got the car. I can get more pictures if you want. I think most if not all the exterior trim is there as are the dash parts. The previous owner started taking things apart but I believe most pieces stayed with the car. The under hood harness is missing and the **** for the fan is also gone. The lower body looks solid although the floorboards will need patched or replaced. The windshield and I think both door windows are cracked so that likely led to leaks. Although I was under the dash and the fuse block and backside of the instruments look really nice so the water didn't rust up things there. The trunk looks pretty solid. When I got it the engine was out and partially disassembled. I'm thinking you'll not use the original drivetrain, but if you wanted to the 1955 4 door parts car has a complete 324 4bbl engine that is not frozen up. The tags expired in 1963 so this car has been sitting for a while! John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-my-list.html
Jon your car is not bad at all and the deal you are making for me when we last talked about it is excellent but I think I want to start with a car in a little better shape and still together. Now that I have made the for sure decision to build a 54 the 72 wagon will go. Its still untouched since the motor was pulled out of it. I still need to get the 68 442 finished and on the market but I plane on getting the green wagon running again unless you or someone wants it as is.

Originally Posted by 69442C
Richard,

As you know, I have a 54 Chevy long term project but the one car I have often thought of having in lieu of the Chevy is a 54 Olds 88. I'd be OK with a HT or sedan. I guess I'll need to just watch you build yours and suffer in the privacy of my house. But if you would find 2 nice ones.......

Brian
I can only hope to built it to the standards and quality you would.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Hmmm, I wish I was turning 40...again! Midlife crisis, had mine @ 30, lol. Great choice in cars Richard, good luck with your quest. What direction are you going to take this project?
Not 100% sure yet. It will be somewhat of a resto-mod car similar to the 66 I built. Body and trim mostly stock and a lot of mix of old and new for the rest. The name of the project will be "ERAFUSION 88"

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Well welcome to the lost in the fifties club, good choice of year of Old's. Wish I was young enough to have a midlife crisis....Tedd
Thanks I have liked late40-50's Olds cars since I was a kid and about 5 yeas ago I started really thinking about building one. I first I was not sure what year but about a years ago 54 became the target. It has the frowny face / catfish look of the early cars with the more square body of the 55/56. I also like the square rear wheel opening as opposed to the tear drop shape.

I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on this car. We are a little away on price and I have to pay taxes this month and insurance on my house the next so timing is terrible but I also don't want it to slip away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0208.jpg (67.7 KB, 12 views)