Wanted 1970 W-31

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by TonyV 70f85w31
I'm new to the site and saw this thread on a internet query. I'm in Hawaii and a new owner of the Gold 70 f85 w31 that was listed. It needs lots of work but everything is original. I'm pretty excited. My first car was a 69 cutlass and I bought a wrecked 72 W30 back in 80. Everything went into that High School car from the 72. Haven't had an Olds since then. Feels good to look at one again that I own.
Tony, I know the car you bought. I was on the verge of buying it myself. I believe the original owner was Sixto Gano? Yes had a lot of rust, but definitely looked to be 100 percent untouched car. I only had pics and being all the way on the east coast the shipping would be to costly to go sight unseen on that one. Please keep us posted on the restoration, it is definitely a cool find. And I bet there's a broadcast card in there somewhere.
Old March 1st, 2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
So paint the car a color that works with the green interior or do an interior swap to white or black.
More money on top of more money on top of lessening the value due to the swap. I am an OE guy. While the color combo is quite rare, that doesn't mean it's desirable. At $30K plus shipping, I feel that's above the ceiling on this car....
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:37 AM

color combo & value

Originally Posted by Stewolds
More money on top of more money on top of lessening the value due to the swap. I am an OE guy. While the color combo is quite rare, that doesn't mean it's desirable. At $30K plus shipping, I feel that's above the ceiling on this car....

I agree, I think that it is a $25K USD car.

I can certainly see that it would not be liked by all. I could learn to tolerate the green interior with the gold paint but would never like it.

I think a swap to a black or white interior would actually add to the car's value for many people.
Old March 1st, 2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 66trakpak
Tony, I know the car you bought. I was on the verge of buying it myself. I believe the original owner was Sixto Gano? Yes had a lot of rust, but definitely looked to be 100 percent untouched car. I only had pics and being all the way on the east coast the shipping would be to costly to go sight unseen on that one. Please keep us posted on the restoration, it is definitely a cool find. And I bet there's a broadcast card in there somewhere.
I'm from the east coast too Boston it's a long plane ride! The original title was in that name I believe . I bought it off the guy that had the title in his name so now I'm the third owner. I think 1st owner past away and it became an estate sale. I'll keep you posted. Interesting you knew about it!
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
I agree, I think that it is a $25K USD car.

I can certainly see that it would not be liked by all. I could learn to tolerate the green interior with the gold paint but would never like it.

I think a swap to a black or white interior would actually add to the car's value for many people.

Agree on both accounts.........
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:53 PM

Does this look familiar?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5976112392.html
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:04 PM

Looks like the car from the Chicago area that went through one of the auctions recently (caveat - I have no idea if it actually is the same car but it's a post, Rally Red, black interior 4 speed like the car I refer to).

Maybe the car stayed in Arizona (snow in the pics means the pics may have been taken in Chicago) after the "no sale" at the auction?
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:45 PM
1971 442 conv

This one is on the market again:
https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...op-texas-78602

Originally Posted by Texas442
This is a long shot, but there was a 4spd offered for sale last summer for a short time, then was pulled off the market. I don't know if it's still available but it's not cheap. The car went back and forworth between Texas and Florida and was owned by a W31 expert from ClassicOldsmobile.com (you know who). It was recently repainted back to the correct color from Rallye Red. I will contact the owner.

Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Looks like the car from the Chicago area that went through one of the auctions recently (caveat - I have no idea if it actually is the same car but it's a post, Rally Red, black interior 4 speed like the car I refer to).

Maybe the car stayed in Arizona (snow in the pics means the pics may have been taken in Chicago) after the "no sale" at the auction?
I'm sure it is, I think it sold for $49K plus fees?
Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:50 AM

From Stefano's post in the for sale section:

According to the current owner, the NOS parts needed for the resto were used and extra left overs were sold.

The car was completely stripped and repainted and it is a quality restoration.

The high bid across the block was $49,000.00. It was a real bid, but the owner is looking for more. The W-31 is still available for sale.

Last edited by bogusmachine1; March 3rd, 2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Did anyone on the forum pick up the gold/green interior w-31?