Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1962 Oldsmobile 88 for sale

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2015, 03:09 PM

1962 Oldsmobile 88 for sale

1962 Oldsmobile 88. Two owner California car I purchased 8 years ago, but just cannot seem to complete it. The car is originally from Bakersfield which is a very dry California climate. I still have the original black plates, and dealer bracket.

The car has been stored since 1985. It's 100% rust free, never wrecked, and has 79K original miles. This car runs/drives.. (will need a new battery though). I have a short video driving the car before the restoration started..

I repainted the car about 2 years ago, just needs some final prep before reassembly. The interior (was blue cloth/vinyl) but will need to be completely redone. If you do not like Blue, this would be the time to change it.

The car has the following options: (working) air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, safety sentinel, tinted glass all, (original) 394/330 4V Sky-Rocket engine, Automatic transmission, AM radio, and restored dash clock... (I also have video of the clock working).

The mechanical/cosmetic restoration is pretty much complete. Most parts were replaced, rebuilt, or new (not much left to do). Everything is there, 100% complete, nothing is missing.

I rebuilt the top half of the motor due to sitting. New lifters, rods, and rockers were added. The motor was then reassembled using new Felpro gaskets. The fluids were changed (twice), and a complete tune-up was done.

I also rebuilt distributor, added new points, new belts, hoses, motor mounts, brakes shoes, wheel cylinders, wheel bearings, all drums were machined, and new brake lines installed. A new speedometer cable, new springs, shocks were installed. The fuel tank was dropped/cleaned, and all new fuel lines were installed. the water pump, and fuel pump were rebuilt, and a new alternator, and voltage regulator were installed.

The original radiator and heater core were both professionally re-cored. The 2 speed wiper motor was rebuilt, and a new washer pump added. New coil springs/shocks, and new tires were mounted on sandblasted/refinished original rims... I also restored the bumper jack.

The a/c system was evacuated/charged with R134 and blows cold. All new air ducts were installed behind the dash. New vacuum lines were installed (both under dash/under hood). Rebuilt coil, and Rochester 4-Jet carburetor. New dash lights, all new weather-stripping (still in packages). The car has all four original T-3 headlights.

Everything on the car works (lights, radio, heat, a/c, horn, lighter etc.). I rebuilt the clock, and it continues to work. The body was stripped to bare metal, all imperfections were fixed, and the body was etch primed. There were about 6 coats of base coat/clear coat applied... and many hours spent wet sanding.

The car will need an interior however all the difficult/time consuming labor has been completed (see pics). She is really not far from being a nice turn-key cruiser. I have receipts/pictures for everything done to the car... and I'm probably forgetting stuff, so please ask if you don't see something.

To see dozens of pictures during different stages of restoration please follow this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/106564...57673153331345

The car has been sitting at my friend's shop in TUCSON, AZ for over a year... (since I was transferred to Northern Cal).

Please PM or email me with any questions. Arizona title is clear, and in my name
$6500... (there is more than twice that invested).

Thanks, Paul.
electra483@yahoo.com

Last edited by electra483; August 1st, 2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:06 PM

The blue document is the factory body shop ticket. Normally discarded, but this one survived. The top of the page reflects the body style #3247, and body #3124 same as the cowl trim tag. This paper was found under the carpet/padding, and 50+ years later still has the original red primer like the floor pan. Interesting find, I have not seen another one like it.

Last edited by electra483; August 1st, 2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by electra483
Long ad, but should answer many questions...

The car still needs a full interior kit, and some comedic reassembly (bumpers weather stripping etc.) which I have.
One hopes that process does not turn into a "comedy of errors?"

Bad, I know, but hard to resist ... .
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:04 PM

TTT... Been about six months, so I thought I'd try again.