Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1967 Olds 98 Town Sedan, FS, 49k survivor

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2015, 06:57 PM

1967 Olds 98 Town Sedan, FS, 49k survivor

Getting pretty close to listing my 67 98 Town Sedan on eBay. I have no idea what this car should bring, but from my research, tea leaf reading and shaking my vintage magic 8 ball, I think the absolute most she'd bring is around 8k, that's my asking price here.... open to offers, of course!

1967 Olds 98 Town Sedan, 425 Rocket V8, 4bbl, AC car with factory am/fm/8 track.
Link to album pics: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...49k+miles.html
As far as I can tell, this car has 49k original miles, all original, except for the hood, which I replaced, professionally painted and installed.
Car was owned by a Colonel at the Pentagon and still sports the Fort Belvoir sticker on the windshield. His wife drove the car mainly. It was sold or given to relative in Pittsburgh who stored it for 2 or 3 years until I bought it.
I had the rear end rebuilt, dropped the tank and replaced the sending unit, put on new tires, did plugs, wires, new battery, belts, a hose or two. Put on a new muffler and pipe from the middle back. The hood had some previous damage from a tree limb. Bought a replacement and had it professionally painted and installed. The only rust WAS some very minor spots starting around the back window. Same guy that did the hood pulled the rear glass and fixed it right. Car is now 99% rust free.
Interior is gorgeous. Certainly not flawless, but a solid 9 or 9.5 out of 10. 8 track player works, but not great... will spin up a cartridge and play, but you have to giggle it a bit.
Starts, runs, drives and stops great. Passed WV state inspection with no issues. All body panels, solid, no bondo, no rust. Floors are good throughout, including trunk. Glass is solid all the way around. Car has no power options, and the crank windows work fine.
What it needs.... weather stripping all around, although dryrotted, it does not leak unless you pressure wash it.
Some chrome has minor blemishes... can provide close ups.
Slight miss at 70 mph on the interstate... working that out now.
Underside of the engine is a bit oily.. I believe it needs valve cover gaskets. Does not smoke.
Minor stone chips, scratches, etc. here and there.
AC does not blow cold.
Clock does not work.
Radio plays, but only on one side... balance works and radio goes silent one one side.
When I hit the brakes the side marker lights light up.... go figure.

All in all, a really nice ten foot car, daily driver, show it as is at your local show kind of car. If you want to restore her to top quality show car... it's a great starting point! Rock solid all the way around, low miles, original. Loads of fun to drive and gets great comments everywhere I go. If you'd like specific pics or an answer to specific questions, just ask. Nothing to hide here... I'll tell you what ever I know.

Planning on listing her on eBay as soon as I get this miss sorted out. New coil and coil wire going in next week. Carb cleaner shot in today, but no time to test drive the interstate. Only misses at speed. If you're interested, let me know! Maybe I can skip the hassle of listing on ebay!
Mike
Reedsville, WV 26547
304-216-8867
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

An LS with no power anything? Must have been a Marine colonel!

Beautiful car!

Best of luck with the sale.

- Eric
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by mikeamondo
When I hit the brakes the side marker lights light up.... go figure.
You mean the cornering lights on each front fender light up, right? Side marker lights weren't required by law until the 1968 model year, and this car doesn't have them.

These lights are supposed to light up when the headlights are on and you put the turn signal to the right or left. The cornering light on the corresponding side lights up to illuminate the area to that side of the car as you turn the corner, hence the term "cornering" light. Do they actually work as they're supposed to?

The fact that they also light up when you step on the brake suggests a bad ground, so current is grounding through the cornering light instead of where it's supposed to. Do the brake lights work properly? One suggestion is to carefully inspect each of the brake light sockets to make sure they're all clean, free of corrosion, and well grounded. Replace any that are suspect.
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mikeamondo
Slight miss at 70 mph on the interstate... working that out now.
Dirty fuel filter? I have a '67 Delta 88 with the same engine, and one time it would occasionally start missing at highway speeds. Replaced the fuel filter and problem cured.
Old June 8th, 2015, 04:33 PM

Yep... cornering lights... thanks for the clues! I'll pull the brake lights and inspect as soon as I get a chance! The fuel filter was just changed.... so it, and the sock on the new sending unit should be good to go...
Old June 25th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Anyone interested in this car at $7k?