Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 w31 feeler

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2015, 06:00 AM

1970 w31 feeler

Currently have a 1970 (1 owner car my dad , bought it with 4 miles on it according to the protecto plate) it has 69k miles on it, needs the balancer re worked as it spun. Either looking to keep it or sell it but was wondering what an original w31 possibly with window sticker would go for? It sits currently in a heated garage.. sits and sits and sits lol. Thanks guys
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:12 AM

more info needed

Originally Posted by deadmanx
Currently have a 1970 (1 owner car my dad , bought it with 4 miles on it according to the protecto plate) it has 69k miles on it, needs the balancer re worked as it spun. Either looking to keep it or sell it but was wondering what an original w31 possibly with window sticker would go for? It sits currently in a heated garage.. sits and sits and sits lol. Thanks guys

You have made no mention of the originality, condition or options on the car so how can we possibly give a value? Please post pictures & a complete description of the car if you want an online appraisal.
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:45 AM

I couldn't imagine even considering the thought of selling a car that my father bought new 45 years ago. To each his own I guess.
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Don't do it, let it sit or even better drive it every once in a while. You will regret selling it.
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:12 AM

I was simply putting a feeler out, he is retired now and basically offered me up the car. It currently sits in ny garage, as I bought the house I grew up in lol. So needless to say, his fiance and himself do not have room for the car. I emailed greg rollin @ supercars unlimited to.get a price on reworking the balancer and then want to basically know what steps to take to get a car that has sat for 20 years in the garage. Last time it was out was at norwalk raceway 1995/1996 trailered there. I know I will be draining the gas tank, draining the oil , and far more steps I just have to read a bit and get some input. As far as options go it has everything a w31 had aside from the rear spoiler on the trunk. I will take a pic of the window sticker if my dad finds it, he thinks he knows where it is. The protecto plate was cool to see though. I just wondered a ballpark figure sorry for asking that. I know only like 1034 were made hard tops . (My number might be off, thats off top of my head)
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:23 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

A bit dusty, but this is the only picture on my phone
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:42 AM

I was simply putting a feeler out, he is retired now and basically offered me up the car. It currently sits in ny garage, as I bought the house I grew up in lol. So needless to say, his fiance and himself do not have room for the car. I emailed greg rollin @ supercars unlimited to.get a price on reworking the balancer and then want to basically know what steps to take to get a car that has sat for 20 years in the garage. Last time it was out was at norwalk raceway 1995/1996 trailered there. I know I will be draining the gas tank, draining the oil , and far more steps I just have to read a bit and get some input. As far as options go it has everything a w31 had aside from the rear spoiler on the trunk. I will take a pic of the window sticker if my dad finds it, he thinks he knows where it is. The protecto plate was cool to see though. I just wondered a ballpark figure sorry for asking that. I know only like 1034 were made hard tops . (My number might be off, thats off top of my head)

No need to be sorry you just did not provide enough info for us to be helpful to you.

Is the car original paint & original drivetrain? Also what is the condition of the paint & body underneath? How about the interior?

From what I know & see so far I see $20K plus. How much more depends on the originality & condition of the car. W-31 cars are highly prized but do not reach the value of a same year W-30.

You did not mention if it was a 4 speed or auto. Also is it a bench column shift car or buckets & is there a console or not. Or is it a bench seat 4 speed? Rallye Pac or not? What other options?

Provide more details please.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; May 4th, 2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:49 AM

Automatic, not column shifter, thwre is a center console the shifter is in front of it. I wanna say its a hurst shifter if that was an option. The driver side has a minor tear in the seat, the underneath has no rust , the body has minor knicks here and there.. but definately not as if it sat outside in the weather which im thankful for. Original paint and the drivetrain is original ( it does have have different gears in it because it was tracked) so I dont know if that factors in as not stock drivetrain?
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:02 AM

W31 Cutlass

deadmanx,

You have a private message.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:14 AM

pm

Deadmanx, i sent you a PM, would love to help with an apprasal, and talk to you in detail about the car.

thanks,

STeve

Last edited by StickW31; May 6th, 2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Runner

Wow, that is a cool looking car and if it all original / unrestored like your story is making it seem, that's just awesome. Like others have mentioned, most people don't get the opportunity to keep something like that in the family and have a story like that, but there is nothing wrong with not being into cars or simply not carrying about that stuff either. To each his own.

I feel like W31 seem to fetch about 25k - 30k in good condition. However, originality ads a subjective amount of value as well.

Take care of it and post more pictures.
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:47 AM

Beautiful car, keep us posted!
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:58 PM

I emailed greg rollin @ supercars unlimited to.get a price on reworking the balancer
Greg @ Supercars no longer rebuilds them. I called him a few months ago and he recommended I believe Damper Doctor in California.
I spoke with John (believe that was his name). He knows what a W-31 balancer is and was surprised I had two to send him for rebuilding (he even offered a discount since I was getting two done). They came back and look good.
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
Greg @ Supercars no longer rebuilds them. I called him a few months ago and he recommended I believe Damper Doctor in California.
I spoke with John (believe that was his name). He knows what a W-31 balancer is and was surprised I had two to send him for rebuilding (he even offered a discount since I was getting two done). They came back and look good.
Chris, what was included in the rebuild and how was the pricing? I have a spare W-31 balancer I'd like to send out as well. Thanks
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Elephant_Engine_Ernie
Chris, what was included in the rebuild and how was the pricing? I have a spare W-31 balancer I'd like to send out as well. Thanks
I too have spoke with damper doctor, the price is on the site its like 218$ not baf tbh.

Last edited by deadmanx; May 6th, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:00 PM

Simple quick pic of inside, again needs some spring cleaning lol
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM

Message sent.
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:25 PM

1970 442s, W30s, and W31s in this condition (original paint, original drivetrain), with good owner history and documentation are very hard to find. Don't sell the car; you may not find a similar replacement if looking in the future.
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:36 PM

As a bit of caution....watch out posting a copy of the window sticker. If you do, somehow cover the VIN. I've heard of horror stories where bogus cars were built to exacting copies and passed of as the REAL car. Strange but true......and sad.
Neat car. Keep it if you can, if not, there are some genuine people here that will help and pay the right amount. Let Stevie Boy look at your stuff and listen to him....he is the REAL DEAL.
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:47 PM

Random pics of under the car

Couple cob webs haha.

Yes I have talked.with steve and will be keeping in contact with him thanks guys!

I will be keeping the car, I put this thread up for exactly what it is a "feeler" I appreciate the support and interest in the car! I now have some fun work and a journey ahead to get the car looking really good. I hppe I have responded to all the pms. If not I will get to them

Last edited by deadmanx; May 6th, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:29 PM

put a new balancer on it
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM

Ya, this weekend im going to see what I need to do to get that balancer off and sent off to damper doctor
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:14 AM

Thumbs up thanks Dave

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
As a bit of caution....watch out posting a copy of the window sticker. If you do, somehow cover the VIN. I've heard of horror stories where bogus cars were built to exacting copies and passed of as the REAL car. Strange but true......and sad.
Neat car. Keep it if you can, if not, there are some genuine people here that will help and pay the right amount. Let Stevie Boy look at your stuff and listen to him....he is the REAL DEAL.
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:06 PM

very cool car Other than the headers whats the rest of the engine look like ?
Have you sat back and said man if i could get XYZ ? i would be silly not to let it go ? Are you looking to get another toy like a HD or new Truck in its place. Those are some Trippy floor mats !
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Floor mats

Those look like Mopar Mod Top floor mats. If they are they match the mod top vinyl tops that were used on some Mopars in the early 70s. If they are and in good shape throw them on eBay as they are valued by Mopar guys.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; May 9th, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Those look like Mopar Mod Top floor mats. If they are they match the mod top vinyl tops that were used on some Mopars in the early 70s. If they are and in good shape throw them on eBay as they are valued by Mooar guys.

I thought the floor mat print design looked familiar. There was an article in one of the Muscle Car magazines that featured the Mod Top cars and it noted that the owners were looking for the matching floor mats.
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:59 AM

Just a suggestion - It might be a good idea to just install a new gas tank, and not take any chances of the engine getting contaminated from any left over debris after the gas tank is cleaned. I've heard of engines being ruined or requiring repair after a gas tank was supposedly "completely" cleaned and then ran with fresh fuel, only to regret not installing a new gas tank.
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:32 AM

You have an original '70 W-31 your Dad bought new and you're selling it??!!!
The only way that would happen with me is if my children were starving!!!!!
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Sweet car, I'd just clean out the tank and make sure you have a good fuel filter installed.
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:41 AM

Wow those floormats are mopar mod top floormats haha. Anyways sorry ive had busy month, but I will get a pic of the engine bay and I want to get under there and check those fuel lines (what exactly is w31 specific in the fuel lines?) and the jo on the tranny (just to validate everything we can). This car is a true w31 no question (#6 on the head) aluminum intake manifold says w350 on it. The q jet carburetor. I guess from what I read there are vents in the fender wells as well? More to look for haha
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:05 PM

That's a very cool car, and it's history as single family vehicle makes it even more desirable.

I dig those Mod floor mats!
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:45 PM

All '70 350's used the #6 head, they just had the larger valves installed. The Q-jet was standard Olds fare, but the carbs were specific to their application and are stamped. Yours should be a 7040255 stamping. Fender vents?
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:51 PM

Ya fender vents I have no idea where I read that, but it doesnt seem to apply to the w31 afaik.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:58 PM

I just spoke with steve on the phone, I happened to find the broadcast sheet for my w31. It was tucked in behind the front driver seat officially a w31 even though I knew it all along. I had a great conversation with steve lastnight and we basically confirmed everything. (I learned a lot , he is a smart man) just thought I would share. This thread should probably get moved. Thanks guys

Last edited by deadmanx; June 2nd, 2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Runner

Thats awesome. Very cool car and story.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 05:11 PM

Yay, Steve!
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
Yay, Steve!