Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

need to do this temp selling 79 omega

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:11 PM
major noob

need to do this temp selling 79 omega

Ok so point is Im trying to find a job. To have a job I need transportation and my dads car is being the biggest lemon ever. I'm not selling per say but I need to temporarily sell the olds so I can get some things and further my life. Basically what I'm saying is sell it to a member here and then when I can buy her back. I feel I need to do this to further myself and I don't want to but gotta do it. Anyone up to help. 1979 omega
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:43 PM

I did help.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:46 PM
major noob

Yes you did I'm not saying that lol I just need to do this to help myself at the moment I'm not getting rid of her permanently basically pawning her till I am better off
Old January 22nd, 2015, 02:31 PM

Good luck. You will probably have to pay vigorish (interest) to make someone interested.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 02:33 PM
major noob

I realize that it won't be easy
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:03 PM
Justin

Bill, what does your olds need to get it on the road ?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:05 PM
major noob

Me to get a moped to get to a job to make money
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Dude just finish the damn car. Money won't fix your issues. Get a job ride your bike to work and start saving. Riding my bike 5 miles back in the day was no big deal. I'm sure you can find a job in a 5 mile radius. Patience is everything.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:31 PM
major noob

No money won't that isn't what I'm getting at here. Its not safe to ride a bike in this area cause there's no sidewalks and idiot drivers and I am not risking my life like that I've thought this out
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:39 PM

Usually in many towns sidewalk laws prohibit bikers to ride their bikes on sidewalks due to putting walking pedestrians at risk. Anywho since when was riding a bike on the street dangerous. It was a way of life for us. Put it this way if you had mouths to feed you would ride your bike to work . Sack up dude. How bad do you want it . In life you take risk's . Not trying to be a d**k but if you think riding your bike to work is unsafe then driving a 40 year old car with rusty brake lines and who knows what else might be even more unsafe.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
major noob

I know and I gt what you are saying but you also gotta remember that was back when people had common sense I agree I'll give it more thought I'm still waiting on some applications I've put it I just don't want to get hit at 6in the morning on a bike is my concern cause the closest place to work is like 8 miles down the road
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:52 PM

Dude im only 25 and I have actually skateboarded down a state route to work I don't see people being any less safe now than 10 years ago . I only work 3 blocks away so I don't need to drive . Yes at 7 in the morning rt 31 is very busy .
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
major noob

Well I guess I will see how the job application goes and your right gotta take risk I stand corrected
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:59 PM

Im not saying run out in traffic and play but many people commute to work on a bicycle and you usually don't hear people say its unsafe. You gotta pay the same attention as you would driving down the road so its really no different than driving except your more exposed which is the main risk.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 22nd, 2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:26 PM
Justin

I agree, how bad do you want it?

We all face challenges to have our hobbies.
I have 6 kids and put my wife thru school while building my olds. I didn't do it with my paychecks that's for sure, I traded, bought and sold stuff scrapped and at times I just gave my all!
I saved to buy the big stuff even did side work witch I hate.
I road my bike for two summers 18 miles round trip all up hill on the way home after work.

In short maybe, you can put it on the back burner as we all do at times! To sale and try and buy back? I doubt that will answer your problem, may cause more in the end.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:23 AM
major noob

That's what I'm meaning by by more dangerous copper I'm more exposed to death lol and I want it bad but I also am waiting on the application I hate this stuff lol
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:52 AM
Olds Fever

Maybe I missed it, but no where has a value been put on your Omega... Priceless to you I'm sure, but for what you are in need of help for, some value has to be placed on the vehicle... AND then you have to ask yourself, even if someone were to assist you, is that arbitrary amount going to be sufficient for your needs and exactly how long will that amount carry you before your issue is resolved or quite possibly still unresolved...
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Bill to be honest, I don't think you will gain enough from the sale of your car to make a serious difference in your situation. In my opinion your going have to have a different plan.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
major noob

Your probably right it was an idea brought up to me a while back and I thought I would try and put it in action and really what I'm trying to do is get a liquor cycle so I can get out and about and to a job is my goal
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:56 AM

Bill while riding that bike make sure you use clothing /reflective vest, lights what ever so drivers see you if your out and about when lighting is bad mornings/evenings and when dark. Most bike riders i see fail to protect themselves and fail to check there lights daily to see if they are bright enough. I told a guy awhile back after seeing him 4 times after dark did he have a death wish because his light was so dim and so small on the back you couldn't see him till you were on him at fifty five and he was wearing black clothes. He said he was sorry and never thought about it much!!
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:24 PM

Bill:

I'd like to thank these guys for taking a chance and giving you the straight goods. I commend you for accepting what they are saying without calling them di*ks. Good luck on your job hunting endeavors. You may have to apply at alot of places to get a job but you won't get one without applying to a lot of places. Sounds like your a great guy that has a good future if you keep at it. Dig deep my friend. Nobody will do it for you.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
major noob

Thatnks and I do have to sell her got in a fight with momma and momma laid down the rules :/
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear that Bill.
Old January 24th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Hookers under Hood

Bill, Do you have any friends or family that live in or near a larger city ? I know its very hard for young guys to find a decent paying job these days. The economy tanked as you know in 08-09 and has yet to fully recover. When much of the manufacturing went to Mexico in the late 80's early 90's along with China now being the manufacturing hub. We had it a little ruff back in the day as well. As copper mentioned he rode a bicycle. Would it be possible for you to stay with a friend or family somewhere in order to find decent work? Possibly rent a room in another city and take transit ?. Many of us here have had to work most of our life to acquire what we own today. We all had to make some sacrifices along the way as well at times. Their will be times in your life when you will have to let some things go that you feel have value to you in order for better things to fall into place. Difficult decisions are often made in life this may be where you are at in life at the moment . I hope your situation gets better at home and luck will soon come your way.
Wish you all the best!!
Cheers,
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; January 24th, 2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:03 AM
major noob

That's what I'm trying to do but no one is sticking behind me they all say hold on on no or don't do that
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:42 AM

I'm saying don't do it because getting money over your car is just not very practical. In reality you can only get money over your car with newer cars. When done through a bank or pay day loan. Essentially collateral. I only rode my bike to work one summer I worked on a teardown crew for a carnival company. I was 16 and worked 15 to 20 hr days in the summer got paid cash but after 2 months of working I had money to buy my daily driver. The cutlass didn't show up in the picture until I graduated h.s. and it took just a little under 2 years to get her on the road looking good. You got time so don't rush it. I wouldn't sell it as its not the practical solution. If its to the point your mom is saying its gotta go then you must be doing something wrong for her to get extreme like that. When you live at home you gotta comply to get by otherwise your toys get taken away.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 24th, 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old January 24th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just to echo what Copper is saying: The amount of money that you would be likely to be able to get for your car (remember, guys, it's a Nova (er... Ωmega), not a Cutlass) would not be enough to get anything better (like: running and reliable).

Now, if Mom is saying it's got to go, well, she is Mom, but, in my youth, that was where friends came in - if there's someone who'll let you stick it behind their barn till the heat dies down, that'd take care of it. I have found that, no matter who Mom is (mine, my friends', my kid's...), if you give it some time, she usually comes around.

And, while I cannot tell you what riding a bike is like in your area, I can say that when I was about your age, I was a bicycle messenger in Manhattan, back before they made bicycle helmets, and I survived just fine.
They've got some fantastic LED lights nowadays that you can wear or put on your bike, that make you look like an airplane landing.

- Eric
Old January 24th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Justin

Bill, I am still wondering what does your car need to be street legal on the road car ?

You have put a ton of time into it!

I agree with Eric, is the friend/ family that could store it for a min to let the heat die down?
Old January 24th, 2015, 07:54 AM

If Mom says you gotta sell it and your gut says you gotta keep it. Only you can decide who you need to follow. These guys have all given some good advice either way. The point is don't use it as an excuse to stall. Get out and take the steps you need to take to progress. I've always subscribed to the "Seek and you shall find,knock and the door will be opened to you" program. You know one thing though, we wish you all the best. A resourceful guy like you is going to do well,
Old January 24th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Administrator

It's hard to argue with mom, however if you can justify and plead your case responsibly I would bet she is open to suggestion. You need to present her with a valid plan. As a parent and having been in your shoes when I was younger (just a few days ago) I would wait until she is in a better mood.
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:09 AM
major noob

All it needs is freeze plugs tag an insurance oldstata and she told me this morning I don't have to sell it so we will see how things pan out
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oh ferchrissakes, get some rubber expansion freeze plugs, put them in, and get the car going already.

- Eric
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:51 AM
major noob

I did but I got the 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 instead of 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 so I got to exchange them
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Oh ferchrissakes, get some rubber expansion freeze plugs, put them in, and get the car going already.

- Eric
X2

Or pull the motor and do all the freeze plugs bet it's under 50 bucks ?

And your on the road not sure what your insurance would be but I guess under 300 to get that car on the road legal
Old January 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldstata
Or pull the motor and do all the freeze plugs bet it's under 50 bucks ?
Not even close.

$10.89 at O'Reilly

$13.52 shipped on eBay.

And your on the road not sure what your insurance would be but I guess under 300 to get that car on the road legal
My 17 year old pays about $720 for six months here in Maine.

- Eric
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Justin

I figured 50 with oil and coolant change on top if the freeze plugs

Does he need to pay his insurance for 6 months ?

My daughters was pulled right out of my checking each month hers was 90 a month with above a 3.5 GPA and no tickets
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I figured 50 with oil and coolant change on top if the freeze plugs
I don't think he's buying new oil or coolant...

Daughter rates and son rates are two wildly different things.

How many girls do you know who race the family minivan when you're not looking?

The cost is based on the additional $120 that I pay on my policy every month for him.

I tried to get him his own policy, like I had when I was 17, and the company refused - they said they can't sell insurance to minors (funny, they could in 1979...).

Interestingly, his annual cost (about $1,400) is about the same as what I paid when I was his age, though inflation has made the same amount worth less, so I guess that's a good thing.

- Eric
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Justin

I had my own at 17 ( 1997) ?
Maybe it's because, I had a baby ?
Who knows why things changed

Guess, I will find out rates next year as my son will be getting his this up coming December
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Administrator

My sons is around $1300/yr for full coverage on a 2006 Mustang. I would assume that liability only would be a whole lot less. Glad mom is back on board. Aren't you still in school?
Old January 24th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah. I forgot that part - I paid about $1,200 a year about 35 years ago for minimum liability.
My boy's is about $1,400 a year for high liability, but no collision (On a 15 year old car, much cheaper to fix if he bends something than to pay insurance, also, he needs to understand that if he breaks it, he fixes it, or he walks).

- Eric

Quick Reply: need to do this temp selling 79 omega