Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1976 Oldsmobile 98 Regency for sale

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2014, 02:55 PM

Last edited by studeolds; September 22nd, 2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: .
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by studeolds
am I priced too high or is there just not a lot of interest in these luxury cars from the 70's?

Well, maybe...and I'm afraid so, lol! While not an Olds "expert", I've turned hundreds of cars over my career. It always seems the cleanest low mile cars were the least desirable colors. Mainly light green with forest green interiors. I think that may be one of the issues with your vehicle, being not the most desirable color. Most of those cars, I had eventually gotten my money out of, but a more desirable color would have brought more money and a faster sale.

Try focusing on what the car doesn't need, such as a lot of rust repair, interior work, bumper fillers looked good, etc., with potential buyers. Try to establish a "savings", if you will, to help an understanding of your asking price. Someone may find a little rougher one for 2K, but will they spend another 2K bring it up to the level of your car?

As a last resort, paint it burgundy, and dye the interior, lol! Good luck with your sale.
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Somebody on here was looking for a green 73 98 last week. Maybe they will see your ad.
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:26 AM

I may be opening my self up for trouble but I have a question to the Olds guys on here,am I priced too high or is there just not a lot of interest in these luxury cars from the 70's?

Hey, while the full-sized cars may never catch up in popularity, they do still hold a strong place in the classic car hobby. Don't be discouraged that you're not getting a huge response right away. It looks like a nice car that doesn't need much work at all so you should be able to find the right buyer. It may just take a little time. I hope it goes to a good home again as I know you saved this car from being used in a derby.

I don't know what you have into the car but I don't think you're asking way too much for it. These are only getting harder and harder to find in good, original condition so don't let it go too cheap. It deserves a good home. I'm sorry I can't save them all because they're beautiful, deserving cars.

Good luck with the sale and let me/us know if you need any help.

Are you going to list it on ebay as well ?
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM

I may be opening my self up for trouble but I have a question to the Olds guys on here,am I priced too high or is there just not a lot of interest in these luxury cars from the 70's?
I think your price is fine. But for pity's sake, you started this thread (and apparently posted that craigslist ad) exactly TWO days ago! How quickly did you expect it to sell!

Patience.

Advertise it widely, post lots of good photos, describe everything about the car, good and bad, and sit back and wait. It may sell in a month. It may take six months. You need to find someone who has a fond memory of these from back in the day. There are probably not many in this category, relatively speaking, but there are some.

For what it's worth, the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '76 98 4-door hardtop in #3 condition ("car show" but not showroom) at $3,000 to $3,200. By this standard, you're perhaps a little high, but I don't think so. Those values are very average, your car is nice, and you've set a sort of a high-end-of-normal asking price. You can always compromise in the end if necessary, but you don't want to undersell yourself unless you have to move the car quickly.
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think your price is fine. But for pity's sake, you started this thread (and apparently posted that craigslist ad) exactly TWO days ago! How quickly did you expect it to sell!

Patience.

Advertise it widely, post lots of good photos, describe everything about the car, good and bad, and sit back and wait. It may sell in a month. It may take six months. You need to find someone who has a fond memory of these from back in the day. There are probably not many in this category, relatively speaking, but there are some.

For what it's worth, the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '76 98 4-door hardtop in #3 condition ("car show" but not showroom) at $3,000 to $3,200. By this standard, you're perhaps a little high, but I don't think so. Those values are very average, your car is nice, and you've set a sort of a high-end-of-normal asking price. You can always compromise in the end if necessary, but you don't want to undersell yourself unless you have to move the car quickly.

Hey Jaunty,

Just curious but what does the price guide show for a loaded "showroom" condition '76 98 Regency Coupe ?
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
what does the price guide show for a loaded "showroom" condition '76 98 Regency Coupe ?
The OCPG does not make a distinction based on options except for major things, such as if the car could have been had with different engines or manual versus automatic transmission, and even then not in all cases, For example, it makes no distinction for the Delta 88's of this era, which could have been had with 350's for 455's. But there's no mention of the effect of having things like cruise control or power locks. Again, these values are very average and apparently take account of cars across the spectrum of degree of loadedness.

Anyway, a 1976 98 Regency two-door coupe in showroom condition has an average value of $5,040 according to the OCPG.

What's interesting is the effect of model year. The guide shows the same value for a '75 Regency. But the '74 Regency 2-door hardtop in the same condition has a value of just over $8,000. It gets even better as you go back further in time. For '73, the value for the 98 "2-door Luxury Hardtop" (apparently the Regency was not available as a 2-door that year) is $8,400, and the value for the '72 and '71 98 2-door hardtops is $11,500 for both years.

Going the other way, it gets better, too. The '77 98 Regency 2-door has a value of $5,700, but it goes back down to $5,000 for the '78 and $5,200 for the '79. Not sure why the '75 and '76 model years are the lowest. Maybe because the 455 engine by that time was just a lower-compression, de-tuned shell of its former self?
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:45 PM

The OCPG does not make a distinction based on options except for major things, such as if the car could have been had with different engines or manual versus automatic transmission, and even then not in all cases, For example, it makes no distinction for the Delta 88's of this era, which could have been had with 350's for 455's. But there's no mention of the effect of having things like cruise control or power locks. Again, these values are very average and apparently take account of cars across the spectrum of degree of loadedness.

Anyway, a 1976 98 Regency two-door coupe in showroom condition has an average value of $5,040 according to the OCPG.

What's interesting is the effect of model year. The guide shows the same value for a '75 Regency. But the '74 Regency 2-door hardtop in the same condition has a value of just over $8,000. It gets even better as you go back further in time. For '73, the value for the 98 "2-door Luxury Hardtop" (apparently the Regency was not available as a 2-door that year) is $8,400, and the value for the '72 and '71 98 2-door hardtops is $11,500 for both years.

Going the other way, it gets better, too. The '77 98 Regency 2-door has a value of $5,700, but it goes back down to $5,000 for the '78 and $5,200 for the '79. Not sure why the '75 and '76 model years are the lowest. Maybe because the 455 engine by that time was just a lower-compression, de-tuned shell of its former self?

Thanks!! This is very interesting. In my opinion, these values are vague guidelines and nothing more. How a '77 98 could be valued higher than a '76 is beyond me. I could see older models being higher due to age but I don't get the low figures for '75/'76. If options are not figured into these figures, I doubt horsepower is.

FYI, the Regency Sedan debuted in '72 but the Coupe did not come around until '74.
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:07 PM

How a '77 98 could be valued higher than a '76 is beyond me.
I don't disagree with any of your comments.

In trying to think of why a '77 might be more valuable than a '76, remember that '76 was the last year of that design, while '77 was the first year of the great downsizing of GM's full-size cars. Maybe because '77 represents the first year of an era?
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM

I don't disagree with any of your comments.

In trying to think of why a '77 might be more valuable than a '76, remember that '76 was the last year of that design, while '77 was the first year of the great downsizing of GM's full-size cars. Maybe because '77 represents the first year of an era?

Thanks. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I've always gone with the concept that the last year of an generation is more valuable because it was no longer available afterwards. '76 was the last year for the FULL-sized models and the 455. I will readily admit that I am heavily biased here but still, I can't see anybody putting a higher value on a mint '77 over a mint '76.

I guess what it really comes down to is what a buyer is willing to pay. Not that I would ever even consider selling mine but I can't see finding a car like it for $5K.

Come to think of it, a '75 98 LS Coupe (plain with hardly any options) with 151 miles on it sold at Mecum recently for $23K. Given, a completely original car may price differently than one that's been torn apart and rebuilt but I tend to consider the value of a car like mine based on that figure. I was very happy to see that car sell for that price. I think it shows that there are people out there that will pay top dollar for a primo condition car like these.
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Come to think of it, a '75 98 LS Coupe (plain with hardly any options) with 151 miles on it sold at Mecum recently for $23K.
But that's a '75!

I did a search on Mecum for '76 98s, and what I found tends to support the OCPG values. I found two sold over the last 5 years.

This one had 122,000 miles, described as being in "show" condition, "everything works," sold for $4,500 in June 2010.

This one, with only 29,000 miles on it, sold for $7,700 in January 2011.

I also searched on '75 98s, and I found only one, a 4-door. No photos were shown, but it was described as having 7,800 miles and still "smelling new." It sold for $7,500.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm...=DA1011-114579

I couldn't find the one you describe with only 151 miles on it. Are you sure it was Mecum?
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:53 PM

But that's a '75!

I did a search on Mecum for '76 98s, and what I found tends to support the OCPG values. I found two sold over the last 5 years.

This one had 122,000 miles, described as being in "show" condition, "everything works," sold for $4,500 in June 2010.

This one, with only 29,000 miles on it, sold for $7,700 in January 2011.

I also searched on '75 98s, and I found only one, a 4-door. No photos were shown, but it was described as having 7,800 miles and still "smelling new." It sold for $7,500.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm...=DA1011-114579

I couldn't find the one you describe with only 151 miles on it. Are you sure it was Mecum?

My mistake, it was Barrett-Jackson and the price was $33K !!

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...8-COUPE-139599
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:58 PM

My mistake, it was Barrett-Jackson and the price was $33K !!
Pretty cool, but that's definitely a one-of-a-kind example because there are very few cars that were bought and then put immediately in cold storage for 40 years. This one is so low mileage that you wouldn't want to drive it just to keep the miles at 150. It's truly a museum piece and should be trailered everywhere it went. But that's not much fun when the idea is to drive cars! I wonder what the buyer's plans were for it.
Old September 16th, 2014, 02:50 PM

Sadly, there are two kinds of Oldsmobiles, The Cutlass and everything else. And the "true" oldsmobile fan, is really only interested in the Cutlass, which I feel is a load of crap.

Personally, I like the car. $3800 may be a little high. $3000 may be a better number.
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:41 PM

Pretty cool, but that's definitely a one-of-a-kind example because there are very few cars that were bought and then put immediately in cold storage for 40 years. This one is so low mileage that you wouldn't want to drive it just to keep the miles at 150. It's truly a museum piece and should be trailered everywhere it went. But that's not much fun when the idea is to drive cars! I wonder what the buyer's plans were for it.
I agree. Not long ago, there was a 76 98 Regency sedan on eBay with 71 miles on it! I didn't follow it but I'd love to know what became of that one too.