Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1965 Cutlass 442 clone

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2014, 06:17 AM

1965 Cutlass 442 clone

http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/4525763690.html

Not mine. I looked at this car yesterday. Someone started trying to clone as a 442. Rust in quarters and fenders. Rockers, trunk, and floors are good. Car runs and drives but hasn't been inspected since 2011. Master cylinder is leaking and it needs a new exhaust system. Electrical is a spaghetti mess under the dash.
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Not a bad price, it's a starting point, he may take less. It would make a nice driver with a bit of tlc.
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:54 PM

Oldcutlass - Do you really think that is a good price? I looked at it and thought it would need @ $3K worth of work to make it driveable - if I could sort out the electrical system. I was thinking of offering $5K but I am not sure I want the project right now.
Also, I have not seen any quarter or fender patch panels available. Are you aware of a source for these for a '65?
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:03 PM

For comparison purposes, I say its not a great price....

http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/4518921116.html

Even with shipping you'd be ahead of the game.
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Administrator

The difference between Tk's ad and Giftman's is Tks ad states the engine has been rebuilt and I'm assuming the 3 spd trans had been gone through also. I don't know about the stated gear ratio. Electrical is an easy repair even if a harness needs to be replaced, which I doubt as sometimes it may look worse than it really is. So if the drive train has been gone through (needs verification), yes I believe a negotiated lower price would make it the better deal.

Craigslist ad quote...44k original miles, rebuilt 330 v8 and 3 spd auto w/ a mild shift kit have about 2k miles. Rear diff. gear ratio is 3:83. Horsepower is about 325. Interior is very nice, does need door panels 60$each. Floors and trunk are clean. Carpet is new. All glass is very nice. Frame is rust free. All suspension is new. Tires are brand new BF Goodrich 245/60/15 mounted on brand new American Racing Wheels Smoothie Wheel. Exhaust is 2". One side needs to be replaced from the bottom of factory exhaust manifold to the tailpipe, it has been patched and can be driven Other side is new. As a daily driver in fair wheather this is a very nice car , if you wanna go to the larger car shows, I would paint it. Currently is midnight blue. Will consider trade for a Harley.
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by tkheld
Oldcutlass - Do you really think that is a good price? I looked at it and thought it would need @ $3K worth of work to make it driveable - if I could sort out the electrical system. I was thinking of offering $5K but I am not sure I want the project right now.
Also, I have not seen any quarter or fender patch panels available. Are you aware of a source for these for a '65?
No quarter patches are not available, but I have a great thread on how to fix them.
if you have time and alittle skill for trunk and both rear quarters is around 50 -200 hrs of work depending on how it is done and what needs to be done!! I did a full on frame restro, I am easly in it 400hrs with a body guy guiding me and helping with the hard stuff

Edit : I think 3000 is a good starting point as motor would cost that and interior looks good for the most part that's another grand. Another big thing on these cars is what condition is the pot metal trim in? if the rear panel is in mint condition it's worth any where from 800-2000 bucks as to redo it is around 1800 and isn't even done right from my understanding. I don't remember what I was quoted but I think it was like 4k for my pot metal trim to be redone and they wouldn't even give me a quote on my rear panel

Last edited by oldstata; July 4th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The difference between Tk's ad and Giftman's is Tks ad states the engine has been rebuilt and I'm assuming the 3 spd trans had been gone through also. I don't know about the stated gear ratio. Electrical is an easy repair even if a harness needs to be replaced, which I doubt as sometimes it may look worse than it really is. So if the drive train has been gone through (needs verification), yes I believe a negotiated lower price would make it the better deal.

Craigslist ad quote...44k original miles, rebuilt 330 v8 and 3 spd auto w/ a mild shift kit have about 2k miles. Rear diff. gear ratio is 3:83. Horsepower is about 325. Interior is very nice, does need door panels 60$each. Floors and trunk are clean. Carpet is new. All glass is very nice. Frame is rust free. All suspension is new. Tires are brand new BF Goodrich 245/60/15 mounted on brand new American Racing Wheels Smoothie Wheel. Exhaust is 2". One side needs to be replaced from the bottom of factory exhaust manifold to the tailpipe, it has been patched and can be driven Other side is new. As a daily driver in fair wheather this is a very nice car , if you wanna go to the larger car shows, I would paint it. Currently is midnight blue. Will consider trade for a Harley.
Eric I see your point with how this is wrote 7000 would be okay but look at the primer on that rear quarter as I don't think that's rust free and the seller doesn't state that the body is rust free only that the "frame is rust. Free "
So I guess it's really depends on the actual condition of the car, on what's it's truly valued at.
And how much a buyer is willing to pay
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:36 AM

Based on the ad, $7k sounded good to me took, that's why I took a look at it. From 20 ft, it looks good but that's because all the rust has been painted over. It pretty much needs rust repair on both quarters and both fenders. The interior is pretty nice, seats are good, dash is complete looks good (original am radio still there) but it does need new door panels, headliner is wrinkled in spots and the rear sail panels are in the trunk. Window glass is good but rear windows need help going up and down.
Electrical looks like mess under the dask with random wires plugged directly into fuse box, Gen light is always on, rear bumper parking lights are sitting in trunk.
It has a 330 with performer intake and a later model Qudrajet with electric choke (couldn't figure out where that wiring went.) Master cylinder is leaking bad and it needs complete new exhaust system.

Compared to Giftman23's reference ad, I am thinking even 5K is too much, but I am curious what you guys think.
Old July 5th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Administrator

If the power train has been gone through and can be verified, not a paint and seal job. That's a large expense that you don't have to absorb. Door panels, re-stretching the headliner and minor repairs are cheap. Electrical can be challenging but not really expensive. The exhaust is maybe $600. The body work and paint will be the largest expense for that one. I'm thinking $4000 would be a good offer.
Old July 5th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Justin

Tkheld
Can you do body work ? Or willing to try and learn ? What motor would you want in it ? Is the 330 okay ?
As a 442 it should have a big block but not required
My opinion you need to think about every angle and I only say this from experience.
Here is a pic if my rust cut out on only one quarter

B5A5B6DE-CA8B-42D8-AF17-978EE3ABFD61.jpg
I had to use two front fenders to repair this one side most quarters that I found was 200-1500 plus shipping.

I feel the electrical problems and mechanical ones are the least of this cars problems.

My opinion is 2k-4k depending on what your willing to do or want to do with the car

Here is another good option will need to cut and paste
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4546720326.html

Last edited by oldstata; July 5th, 2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old July 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Oldstata - the right rear quarter on this one needs about the same level of repair. The rust runs through to the trunk and the lip around the wheel well has similar issues. I haven't done body work yet but that is a skill I want to learn. I do think I will pass on this vehicle though.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old July 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by tkheld
Oldstata - the right rear quarter on this one needs about the same level of repair. The rust runs through to the trunk and the lip around the wheel well has similar issues. I haven't done body work yet but that is a skill I want to learn. I do think I will pass on this vehicle though.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Sorry if I discouraged you. I just felt you needed to know most angles of what this could intell and this was just judging from a few pics. If the quarters and trunk are rusted so will be the rear window channel. Keep looking nice ones always pop up from time to time