Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968 Oldsmobile 442

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Exclamation 1968 Oldsmobile 442

I'm gonna lower the price one more time on this car to 23500.00. If I don't get any responses I'm gonna take it off the market and sit on it another 6 or 7 years and let it appreciate some more! I have decided not to take ANY trades. Thanks.
Above Added: Fri April 11, 2014, 6:45 am EST
PRICE REDUCED TO 25000 NEG! CALL READY TO SELL!
Above Added: Sun January 26, 2014, 3:57 pm EST
PRICE REDUCED! CALL!
Above Added: Mon September 9, 2013, 2:54 pm EST
Beautiful 1968 442 Olds 4 speed. Not a tribute car , but the real deal. Could possibly be a W-30 car, but I don't have a build sheet so I can't document it being a W30.It has all the correct W30 options including the extra frame bracing. This car has Outside Air Induction and the dual snorkel air cleaner. The VIN checks correct with an M in the VIN. Not a numbers matching car-has a 455 with a mild cam, Mallory ignition, J casting heads with hardened valve seats. Flowmaster exhaust system with dual trumpet tips. I have a set of uncracked unmolested C casting heads that come with the car. Paint is not currently show quality, but could be with a wet sand and a cut and buff job. Absolutely no rust-chrome is like new. Interior is totally redone and in like new condition. This car has a trunk wing. It also has a new clutch and pressure plate and new 3.55 gears. I also installed a March serpentine power steering system. It has a Pioneer stereo with 6x9 speakers. Serious responses please. Might would consider a trade on a 66 or 67 442 in the same condition. This car could be driven anywhere. Serious enquiries can get the VIN number.

http://www.collectorcarnation.com/Ol...html?aid=32795
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ccnclassicoldsmobile
Could possibly be a W-30 car, but I don't have a build sheet so I can't document it being a W30.It has all the correct W30 options including the extra frame bracing.
Yeah, except for the incorrect W-36 stripes and incorrect emblem location on the fenders. Oh, and the obviously repro red inner fenders...

has a 455 with a mild cam, Mallory ignition, J casting heads with hardened valve seats. Flowmaster exhaust system
Ah, more "correct W30 options"...

I have a set of uncracked unmolested C casting heads that come with the car.
And still not "W30" parts...

This car has a trunk wing.
ANOTHER 1968 "W30 option"

I also installed a March serpentine power steering system.
Don't get me started...

But, of course, "The VIN checks correct with an M in the VIN."
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM

Ouch Joe.

But I agree, there is too many "non-original" parts including the 69 seats (68 didnt have mandatory head rests).

Good luck with the sale

Sean
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Ouch Joe.

But I agree, there is too many "non-original" parts including the 69 seats (68 didnt have mandatory head rests).

Good luck with the sale

Sean
Those headrests were an available option in 1968, however I can't tell from the photos if those are correct 1968 seats with the release button on the side.

In any case, I'm really tired of ads that claim "believed to be a W30" or some such BS when the seller clearly knows it isn't. Also, the "if you don't buy it now, I'll raise the price later"... Yeah, considering he's LOWERED the price because it hasn't sold, how's that threat working for him?

Still reminds me of this (I've always liked Dave Barry):

Old June 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Ouch Joe.

Good luck with the sale

Sean

Agreed, problem is 68's is a tough market they just don't get the money unfortunately.

The a fore mentioned non-originals and especially the wing will not be helping the 23500 quest.
Old June 20th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by ccnclassicoldsmobile
If I don't get any responses I'm gonna take it off the market and sit on it another 6 or 7 years and let it appreciate some more!

http://www.collectorcarnation.com/Ol...html?aid=32795
Sounds like it hasn't reached the appreciation you seek yet, might be years of catch up first.
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:17 AM

I like the redi rod used for mounting the air cleaner and the hose clamps to hold on the ram air hoses,the chrome air breather on the oil filler tube .
This car also has a 455 H/O

I don't think the value for these cars will be going up I think they hit there peak, just look at the auctions the guys are all old.
When I go to a car show or the race track the old out number the young 50 to 1.
What do you think will happen in another 6 to 7 years? The old will get older.
I'm a older car guy. One day I will age out, and then there will be one less who cares about these cars.
It's a numbers game, the market for the 50's cars has already shrunk.
Just ask the auction guys that travel from city to city that do the collector car auctions.

Last edited by Bernhard; June 20th, 2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM

This is correct, I had and Uncle who wanted a Model T when he was in his 50s as that is what they had when he was a kid. That generation is dead. The cars they wanted have not keep up with inflation.

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I like the redi rod used for mounting the air cleaner and the hose clamps to hold on the ram air hoses,the chrome air breather on the oil filler tube .
This car also has a 455 H/O

I don't think the value for these cars will be going up I think they hit there peak, just look at the auctions the guys are all old.
When I go to a car show or the race track the old out number the young 50 to 1.
What do you think will happen another 6 to 7 years the old guys will get older.
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:50 AM

On the Year One paper in the trunk it is being represented as a 68 W30
Old June 20th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Build Sheet? You mean a broadcast card - those are available also so you can join that not so exclusive W30 club, they just can't seem to get the correct spacing, color and fade down on the type yet, but good enough for most of you fools.
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:40 AM

Wow, what a mess.

Maybe next up will be, "if you don't buy it, I'll part it out".....
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 79MKII
Wow, what a mess.

Maybe next up will be, "if you don't buy it, I'll part it out".....
X2

I normally don't jump in on these issues but wow.

What is UP with that blue paint on the lower dash and steering tube?
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
X2

I normally don't jump in on these issues but wow.

What is UP with that blue paint on the lower dash and steering tube?
Car looks nice, give anyone with a few skills and some taste a week with it and it would BE nice. The hardest part would be disassembly of the dash and steering column for paint work. Welding the spoiler holes would be quick enough. The fender liners and a few other things would be pretty easy under the hood.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:39 AM

Yeah, it's got a lot of potential. It's just not a top dollar factory original...too much not correct for that. I think people looking to spend that kind of money want factory original or all out custom...this one's kind of a tweener, IMHO.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 79MKII
Yeah, it's got a lot of potential. It's just not a top dollar factory original...too much not correct for that. I think people looking to spend that kind of money want factory original or all out custom...this one's kind of a tweener, IMHO.
I'd have to see the paint and body in person to know what the skills behind this car were. It makes me think a talented guy got paid to do nasty things to it. I don't mean to speak of the car's price as I am not interested.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:19 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

I just looked at all the pics and then I saw the wing! I thought OMG thats the biggest GM wing I have ever seen then I figured out its a Pontiac GTO Judge wing.
Wings on an Olds is as common as "SS" plastered all over a Chevrolet!