Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1962 2 door 98 F/S, not mine! You guys are have saved me 2 nearly bad buys

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM

1962 2 door 98 F/S, not mine! You guys are have saved me 2 nearly bad buys

This forum is a great place for a young guy like me to learn all about the intricacies of Oldsmobiles. Unlike many people here I am a fan of the fullsize cars, particularly the 98s. I am interested in purchasing one, but struggle with how much to pay. I know how subjective value is, heavily reliant on condition, but the way you all talk you seem spot on. I found this one on craigslist and am moderately interested. How far off is 9500? What should one expect to pay for a decent survivor fullsize two door? Do they come in coupe form? It looks like it will need paint and there is a stain on the fabric between the rear window and interior light. The seat also looks rough. As always your thoughts are appreciated. I look forward to the day I can contribute more than I take!
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4498641544.html
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM

Really not a bad car for the money, a couple of issues...small amount of rust, and the drivers side of the seat, nothing serious, at least from the pics.
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:46 PM

If you are worried about a ripped seat or stained fabric from a 52 year old original car, then I don't know what to tell you
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:19 AM

Price seems a little high. If running and driving well its a pretty nice car but that rot has me worried. When you go picking at it it gets much worse than it apears and if there is rot there maybe its popping up in other places as well. To me its a 6 thousand dollar car... or in that neighborhood. Its a cool looking coupe for sure but I do not know demand for these...
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:28 AM

I am more worried that if I see those things there are at least twice that many I dont see, but maybe I am wrong?
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:50 AM

I am more worried that if I see those things there are at least twice that many I dont see, but maybe I am wrong?
Yep, that's why you need to have a good look.
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Nice car. offer $7500
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Administrator

IMHO it's a $5-6k car max. There is probably a lot of rust in areas under the car. The one real perk is it's 100% original and complete. Be prepared to perform a fair amount of mechanical maintenance.
Old June 8th, 2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by UNHLAW2016
What should one expect to pay for a decent survivor fullsize two door? Do they come in coupe form?
This is kind of an odd question because the car IS a coupe. Coupe means two doors, and this car is probably the most desirable body style in terms of value short of a convertible. This car was known as a Holiday Sport Hardtop.

In my opinion, from what we can see in the photos, it's a gorgeous car. If it checks out in person what it looks like in the photos, it might very well be worth the asking price or close to it.

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of this car in #3 condition ("car show" condition but not showroom condition) at about $11,000. With the stained seat and the few other minor imperfections (I'm not sure why you say it needs paint--it looks to me like it could be enjoyed for many years as is), it's not #3 condition, but it's probably not far from it. The low mileage, if true, is impressive, too.

One thing I like to look at is the engine compartment, and, to my mind, this is the engine compartment of a 39,000 mile car. It doesn't look restored. It just looks to have the small amount of patina that you would expect in a car with that many miles regardless of age. No stains, no re-jiggered wiring, very minor amount of dirt on the shroud ahead of the radiator, and, heck, the A/C compressor looks new.

As others have suggested, if, after checking the car out, it proves to be as claimed and you are interested, I would offer him something below his asking price and see what happens. If he's been trying to sell for a while, he might be interested. If it's been for sale for only a short time, he might not be interested until he's given the car a chance.
Old June 8th, 2014, 07:41 AM

"the A/C compressor looks new."

IS that the one on the RH side there with the electrical wires on it

:-)

aka the generator
Old June 8th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Jaunty that's a no air car, the piece that you referred to as the A/C compressor is a generator.
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:55 AM

You're right! My bad. I'd forgotten that generators from that era were as large as A/C compressors.

In any event, whatever the hell it is, it still looks nearly new.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I like the car and even the green on this car. I really doubt this is a 39,000 mile car. The seat would not have that much wear in 39,000 miles. Most likely it is 139,000 miles. No air is a shortfall. I don't know what part of the country you are in but in Texas you would have a hard time selling that car without air. Fixing the seat is not problem but I would look real closely at the rust situation. I think the pricing is a little high considering no air. I think somewhere in the range of $6,000 to $7,500 would be where I would be if I were interested in the car. It is a pretty car.
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:06 AM

Now that is a very rare car. Absolutely beautiful, love the green paint. I'd drive it. If you're into a resto, then body and paint will be a major part… Buy it!
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by UNHLAW2016
Unlike many people here I am a fan of the fullsize cars, particularly the 98s. I am interested in purchasing one, but struggle with how much to pay. I know how subjective value is, heavily reliant on condition, but the way you all talk you seem spot on. I found this one on craigslist and am moderately interested. How far off is 9500?

First off, congratulations on your good taste for liking the fullsize Oldsmobiles, we are a rarity in the hobby. I also like the 98's, they are fairly rare but reasonably priced due to lack of interest unless you get into the convertibles. My overall advice is to purchase the absolute best quality car you can afford up front rather than something that needs major restoration work and will eat you alive.

This car looks pretty good on the face of the ad but as others have mentioned there could be hidden problems. This is a car you MUST inspect and drive in person. You need to get under it, pull back the trunk mat and carpet, look for leaks, shake the suspension and take a LONG drive at all speeds. For $9500, the result of your scrutiny should be all smiles rather than bad surprises. It does look like a low-option car and when it comes to the 98's that can be a negative but if it doesn't bother you it is an opportunity to lower the price.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Old June 8th, 2014, 03:10 PM

I have looked at this car in the adds and if you are up to it this car has a lot of potential and with some help from other 62 owners you will have a great car. I have a 62 super 88 wagon,62 starfire coupe and a few 63 98s. A friend has the same car for sale south of Chicago and he is asking in the high teens so if you can talk him down a little and spend a bit on bringing her up to your level of comfort you will have a car you will enjoy for years to come.
Steve
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:53 AM

Since you're asking opinions, I'll toss mine on the pile. Get a pro involved. $250 gets you an hour or two with a qualified evaluator ... and if you want decent insurance coverage you'll want to spend that money anyhow. He'll have the advantage not only of experience in what to look for ... but he's not wearing the rose tinted glasses of a man looking at his dream ride. He'll put it on a lift, he'll run the engine and check things you'd be embarrassed to question .. because that's what he's paid to do. Buying a car for $1500 you can do on your own ... nearly 10 grand .... that's a lot of money to be playing games with. There's no shame in it. My last two purchases, I had a pro eyeball for me... and they were under $2k. I know I have to ... I call in love with cars and need that objective professional assessment.
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Oldsdruid

Pay close attention to:

Frame rot in the torque boxes ahead of the rear axle

Operation of Slim Jim HydraMatic (it will feel weird if you're not used to one)

Excessive engine blowby

Rear bumper rot (this one actually looks pretty good)

That's actually about how most Ninety Eights were optioned back then. A northern car would be unlikely to have A/C and PW and PS were fairly common. The 1962 option list wasn't anything like later cars anyway- 63 was when the gadgets really started appearing.

$9500? maybe a little high unless you're really into original survivor cars, which this appears to be. Be warned if you do much restoration you will never get your money back on a Ninety Eight- you barely get it back on a Starfire. But there is a sizable full-size 62 community around who can help with parts and advice.
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:10 PM

I've watched this cars asking price continue to drop over the last year. I think it's going to need redone front seat and if you want to match the back, means SMS in Oregon. Fabric and trim shop will be about 800. Sail panels look shot so expect potential problems with the headliner too. Don't see door panels in the pics. If that's the only rust on the 1 wheel well, not bad. Although full bore ate up metal like that definitely needs close examination all over to be sure it's limited. Pics to me put it at 3-, 6K ballpark. IMO
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:44 AM

I see the car is on ebay and pictures show more damage and rot. Drivers door has rot as well as other quarter. Fenders too. headliner is shot and driver's door panel water stained pretty bad. I really dont think the car is worth anything close to his price.
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:27 PM

All I have to say about that car is this:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4513445128.html
Old June 16th, 2014, 03:39 AM
Oldsdruid

I'd still take the 62 over that 66. The 66 has some sloppy paint work.

I can't stand overspray in wheelwells or sloppy jobs masking doorjambs. You're gonna paint a car to resell, at least have enough pride in yer work to correct mess like that.
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:46 PM

For 2k more money and a weak interior with totally ruined headliner. I'll take the ragtop, you take the 62, everybody's happy.