Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

71 98 4dr Grampa's Car GORGEOUS in MN

Old April 17th, 2014, 05:37 PM

71 98 4dr Grampa's Car GORGEOUS in MN

Just saw this the other day
Ford guy bought it off the original owner
I have ONE photo, watch for that soon.

I inspected it quickly on the way into a store, did not have much time, but I found NO FLAWS. No pitting, no rust, no interior problems.

I did not discuss price with the owner, but he did say he wants to sell it.

I forget where it was at, been all over this week
Probably near Minneapolis.

Owner: Tom, Ph. 612-756-3737

Last edited by Octania; April 18th, 2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:50 AM

Updated with pic and phone #

FLAWLESS as far as I could tell.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:58 PM

Wow, just from the one photo it looks great. Those 98's always had a grand look to them.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:43 PM
Senior Moment Member

Just talked to the man. I think I'm going to buy it. Going to sleep on it though.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Registered Luser

That car does look nice and sharp! If you pick it up, be sure to "pic" it up!
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:13 PM

It was the prettiest thing I have seen in a while
I had only a minute at a store stop to chat and look see..
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:49 PM

what price was it ?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:03 AM
Senior Moment Member

It will be listed on Craigslist in Minneapolis at a price to be determined by him. Offers will be considered. I don't feel right saying what he'll take for it. That price was high IMO. Look for it on Craigslist this weekend. Probably Sunday maybe early next week. He's driving the heck out of it for now. Who wouldn't? He has all documentation and it has custom wire wheels installed by the dealer. A very nice car. I have too many right now. I could drive one for every day of the week at this point. The car has 45k on it.
I advised him to list it and see if he gets his offer lifted. If not, I told him we could talk.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:51 AM

I thought those were wire wheel COVERS
I thought they looked odd
Again, I had like ONE minute to chat and look over the car.

Big Car sellers always seem overpriced. Buyers will not do that. But, this car has a LOT going for it. If I had to guess, I's say the usual such-car seller would be asking $5k and this guy may be asking 10k. You can always lower the price later for an easier sale.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Senior Moment Member

I made a mistake in saying he had wire wheels on the car. They ARE covers. Just very nice ones. Your prices are absolutely dead on. I would give him 5k for it but at that price he'll probably just drive it. That's what I would do anyway. I really like that car.
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Wow, gorgeous original 98! Not many left in that kind of factory condition. I really hope it finds the right home. As great as it is that he's driving it, that is NOT a daily driver.
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Senior Moment Member

One man's driver is another man's showcar. Where can you get reliable luxury for under 10k that will last you 5 years? Lexus? Caddy? Anything new? Be my guest. This car cost almost nothing to insure and is more fun to drive than anything new out there. DD for me.
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
One man's driver is another man's showcar. Where can you get reliable luxury for under 10k that will last you 5 years? Lexus? Caddy? Anything new? Be my guest. This car cost almost nothing to insure and is more fun to drive than anything new out there. DD for me.
I agree on the value of the car in comparison to something new but when you take into consideration that this is a 40 + year old, very well preserved car with replacement parts that are vanishing by the day, a car like this should not be on the road everyday, especially in MN. I own 2 cars like this and I would LOVE to drive them everyday but I, myself wouldn't run that risk.

I use my "driver" 98 mostly on road trips, vacations, etc which means I put a few thousand miles on her a year. Even with that, I hit a wild turkey on our last trip just last week. The damage isn't too bad but if that was a deer, it would have been much, much worse. Luckily, I have a load of spare parts so the repairs will just require some body work but the average person doesn't have an inventory of parts for their daily driver....all up to the individual owner of course.
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Beautiful car. This would be a daily driver with character (not found in a new car). Those Olds 350s and 455s run forever if you halfway take care of them.
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
I agree on the value of the car in comparison to something new but when you take into consideration that this is a 40 + year old, very well preserved car with replacement parts that are vanishing by the day, a car like this should not be on the road everyday, especially in MN. I own 2 cars like this and I would LOVE to drive them everyday but I, myself wouldn't run that risk.
John, your passion for 98's is obvious and to some extent I agree with you. However I'm at the stage now where I'd also be inclined to be treating this like a summer DD. Why?
1. I'm getting old and don't know how long I'll be able to drive anymore.
2. I'm getting old and don't know how much longer I'll be around, so enjoy what's there while I can.
3. I live off my pension and some savings, but gas prices are increasing so fast it's an uncertain how long I can afford gas on a limited income.
4. Paying insurance on a car that never turns a wheel is such a waste. Don't ask how I finally came to this realization.
5. These cars were made to be driven and enjoyed.
6. Driving these old cars helps keep me feeling young. I was 16 when I took my first drive in my 72.

Soon as I get my 72 finished this summer, it's going to be hitting the road as much as possible so I can enjoy it and show it off to others who have no clue what it is. I guess it also helps that I have an inventory of spare parts, but engines & driveline parts are easy to get for SBO 350/350 and driveline. And aftermarket parts for the 64-72 A body market seems to be flourishing. My car will never be a BJ offering or trailer queen.
Old April 24th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Administrator

It's like traveling in the comfort of your living room. There is not a new car on the market today that can compete with the cruising comfort of the older big cars. Bring on the road trip.
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Yes they are meant to be driven & they should be to really enjoy them as well as keeping them up.

Anything too nice that's seems to have stood the test of time & lived a good life should be used sparingly IMHO.
(especially after 42 years)

Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it ... just use some common sense.

Nice days - watch where you take it/leave it/park it - etc etc etc.

I bought a 1992 LSC in 1997 that was garaged since new & only had @ 450 miles put on it.

I bought it with every intention of driving it EVERY day.

Which is exactly what I did for 4-5 months or so ... at which point I told myself that I was crazy for doing so.

Off of regular insurance it came & onto a collector car policy it went.

From there on it became a nice day hobby car that stayed in the garage most of the time.

When I sold it in 2005 it had @ 9K miles IIRC - with close to half of that being put on it during the 1st 4-5 months.

So while I did enjoy it ... I did so with caution.
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:50 PM

I could not find the car on the Minneapolis craigs but to compare look at Milwaukee craigs. A 1973 Olds 98, 67k miles for $4750 OBO. I love the pics, write up etc. And look how clean that motor looks. If I could add another collector car, this would be it. Perhaps for 4-4500????
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
John, your passion for 98's is obvious and to some extent I agree with you. However I'm at the stage now where I'd also be inclined to be treating this like a summer DD. Why?
1. I'm getting old and don't know how long I'll be able to drive anymore.
2. I'm getting old and don't know how much longer I'll be around, so enjoy what's there while I can.
3. I live off my pension and some savings, but gas prices are increasing so fast it's an uncertain how long I can afford gas on a limited income.
4. Paying insurance on a car that never turns a wheel is such a waste. Don't ask how I finally came to this realization.
5. These cars were made to be driven and enjoyed.
6. Driving these old cars helps keep me feeling young. I was 16 when I took my first drive in my 72.

Soon as I get my 72 finished this summer, it's going to be hitting the road as much as possible so I can enjoy it and show it off to others who have no clue what it is. I guess it also helps that I have an inventory of spare parts, but engines & driveline parts are easy to get for SBO 350/350 and driveline. And aftermarket parts for the 64-72 A body market seems to be flourishing. My car will never be a BJ offering or trailer queen.
Hey Allan, I think I'm just assuming that "driving" means using these cars like I drive my daily driver meaning an 85 mile commute, kids in and out of the car, all kinds of weather and road conditions, parking lots, etc. If the car is used sparingly and still babied, then yes, they are made to be driven and do it very well! Trust me, there's little I enjoy as much as driving my cars. The red car gets a pretty good amount of use but the black one is much more limited to special occasions and shows, but still driven anywhere it goes, never on a trailer.
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Senior Moment Member

Um, an 85 mile commute every day would consume that car in, hold on let me do the math...........2 1/2 years. That's too soon. A Camry should be sacrificed at the altar of that nightmarish daily roundtrip. I take the train into Chicago everyday about the same mileage. But, I drive 2 miles to the train. That, would be a good daily commute for that 98. Your point is well taken. I am probably going to send a guy to check this thing out for me next week if the seller is interested at the right price. We'll see. I really like it but it would just be for me, not resale. So, it would just be another car I have which there are too many already. Maybe I should just buy a diecast and pretend.

Last edited by z11375ss; April 24th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old April 25th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Um, an 85 mile commute every day would consume that car in, hold on let me do the math...........2 1/2 years. That's too soon. A Camry should be sacrificed at the altar of that nightmarish daily roundtrip. I take the train into Chicago everyday about the same mileage. But, I drive 2 miles to the train. That, would be a good daily commute for that 98. Your point is well taken. I am probably going to send a guy to check this thing out for me next week if the seller is interested at the right price. We'll see. I really like it but it would just be for me, not resale. So, it would just be another car I have which there are too many already. Maybe I should just buy a diecast and pretend.
Ha, the miles do add up quicly. My sacrificial ride is a Honda CRV and I do about 20k a year, even with carpooling. I will take my red 98 to work fairly often but by no means everyday. I hope you get this beauty and give it a proper home. Good luck.
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Senior Moment Member

I threw a bid at the guy in Milwaukee. No response so far. That's a really nice car too. In some ways, nicer. The universal radiator hose on the 71 is suspect. The 73 has a very nice engine bay. They're both gorgeous.
I wasn't far off the mark on your DD. Honda CRV. Yep, I could see doing that 85 miles a day. Unless I could write off the cost of a lease and gas. Then it would be a CTS-V.
Old April 26th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Senior Moment Member

The red one in Milwaukee is gone. Probably for the best I might add.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:06 PM

It's on Craigslist Minneapolis.

Originally Posted by Octania

I inspected it quickly on the way into a store, did not have much time, but I found NO FLAWS. No pitting, no rust, no interior problems.

Old May 6th, 2014, 06:41 PM

This car rides like a dream. Seats are top quality. Well build American steel!

Originally Posted by Octania

Old May 6th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Is this your car? If it is why not include a price and some more photo's.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's the link to the Craigslist ad. Really nice looking car!
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Senior Moment Member

I spoke with this gentleman about the car. He is very personable and knows what he has. His price should be listed in the ad, of course. Call him if you are interested. He is a car guy like all of us. The reason he stated he didn't need help selling the car is that he had several phone calls from brokers trying to sell the car for him for a fee. He tired of that rather quickly. Can't blame him. I wish he would post the price. I know what it is but will not divulge it. It was said in confidence and will remain that way. What a gorgeous car.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The Craigslist ad says he wants $10,000.

Nice car, but I think it's priced a bit high.

Of course, what would you prefer? A new Caddy or Escalade, packed with electronic crap, and with less actual passenger room, or this, for substantially less money?

- Eric
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Senior Moment Member

I believe he is open to negotiation.
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

None of the new cars have the style and class this car does.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:37 PM

I'm open on price and just dropped it to $8,300.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The Craigslist ad says he wants $10,000.

Nice car, but I think it's priced a bit high.

Of course, what would you prefer? A new Caddy or Escalade, packed with electronic crap, and with less actual passenger room, or this, for substantially less money?

- Eric