Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1969 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:31 PM

1969 Cutlass Convertible

I am putting up for sale my 1969 Cutlass convertible so that I can pursue an opportunity to purchase a 1969 442 . I searched for over a year for the right 69 convertible until I found this car.

This 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible was purchased by its original owner at Jim Letts Oldsmobile on Peachtree St in Atlanta GA in 1969 it then spent the next 44 years in Buford GA in the same family until it was sold to me by the original owners grandson

Since it has been in NY, it has been garaged and only driver on the weekend in the summer, never touched salt or sand

This is an Original Honest Southern car. It is unmolested in every way, no one has modified it or changed it, just preserved it for years of trouble free enjoyment. Same mechanic serviced it for over 40 years

I have original owners manual and warranty card.
Features
350 Rocket Engine Quadrajet 4bbl Carburetor.
A/C car blows cold
Bucket seats and column shift.. Interior is a time capsule.. all original upholstery, minimal wear.
Original GM deluxe seat belts
I added a reproduction GM Deluxe seat belt in back to safely secure a child seat for cruise nights. I have original belt

Car was repainted in its original Glade Green factory color in mid 80’s from what original owners family recalls, It is showing its age

Power top was leaking from the pistons when I got it, so I pulled the top cylinder bolts which allow the top to raise and lower manually.
The top material is pulling away from the seams by the door frames, probably can be sewn at an upholstery/top shop

Even though this is a southern car it does have surface rust in the lower corners, and some in the drivers A pillar. Trunk is rock solid, as is trunk drop downs, floors super solid.

I replaced the 215/75/14 tires and original hubcaps that were on the car at purchase with a set of SSII (14x6) wheels which I had soda blasted and painted in the correct Argent Grey color and 4 new 225/70/14 Cooper Cobra radials, they have less than 200 miles on them. Both sets of wheels and tires go with the car.

I recently have had a full tune up, all new seals and gaskets installed, engine cleaned and detailed. I added the 442 grilles, replaced the old dull T3 Headlights with 4 new sealed bulbs

New Bosch battery with 3 year warranty installed March ‘14
brakes serviced, with new shoes and cylinders. Brake flush, wheel alignment
New gas shocks
Lifetime warranty form Mavis Tire on all work.

Overall this is a truly amazing preserved original southern car, one that you can get in and drive anywhere, and if one chooses down the road give it the full restoration it deserves.

I am asking $10,000, I want it to go to a good home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3863.jpg (96.1 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by LI Olds; June 6th, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Nice looking Olds, love that British green, sure you will have lots of interest here at that price, good luck with your new 442.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:44 PM

Can I get your phone number or call me Friday?
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Can I get your phone number or call me Friday?
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Hey Scott will do

Matt
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:47 PM

It was beautiful 65 degree day today, Took the car for a long top down drive.. I'll miss having a convertible when this one sells...
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Irony sometimes is a wonderful thing...........maybe

I had a guy come check out the car yesterday.. we got to talking about Oldsmobile in general and life etc.. turns out his favorite car he ever owned was a 69 cutlass hardtop. when I told him it was my dad's 1969 Cutlass in Tahitian Turquios that made me fall in love with Cutlass' and the 69 specifically.. he turned and said no way... that was his color too.... only issue is he isn't sure he wants a convertible, he is retiring and wants a 69 cutlass to do a frame off on to keep him busy. but he did like my car, kept saying how amazingly original it is and he knows he'll never find something so original like it in the Northeast... so we shall see where it goes...
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:30 PM

should send him my ways im thinking on selling my holiday 69 cutlass s 2 door , i just found out the color was nick named champaign gold very fitting since the car was at its end of a era
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by kennydiamond
should send him my ways im thinking on selling my holiday 69 cutlass s 2 door , i just found out the color was nick named champaign gold very fitting since the car was at its end of a era
Kenny. Send me a PM with your location and info on your car, If he doesn't purchase mine I would pass on the info to him, like I said before he is a Olds guys and if it isn't a convt that he wants I would certainly help him find what he does and help 2 olds guys at once... I could use the good Karma
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by sixtyfourbeets
You put a real nice spin on a rust bucket with bondo

What is that supposed to mean?
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:42 AM

FYI. Car has ZERO bondo, it has never had body work done to it just the respray almost 30 years ago.. It is original Georgia car with rust in the typical A body places, mostly surface rust with the exception of the passenger rear which is the worst spot. The floors, frame, and trunk drop downs are as solid as you can get, I couldn't be any more honest and upfront with both the positives AND negatives in the description of the car, I included the photobucket showing all the negatives so If anyone was interested they could see I have nothing to hide and if they were buyers they could call/PM/Email me for more information.... as numerous well respected contributors to this forum have.

not sure why some newb with 10 posts and nothing to add to this thread would feel the need to chime in and bring anything negative to my sales thread.
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Don't let the trolls get to you LI Olds, you were as clear as could be. Some people just get off on being a$$holes in forums.
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Nice looking Olds, love that British green, sure you will have lots of interest here at that price, good luck with your new 442.
X2....good luck with the sale...nice looking convert!
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:59 PM
eds

Dude - awful solid looking car for a fair price. Looks to me like a wonderful "blank sheet" for someone to buy, enjoy the heck out of while driving it as is, with the ability to make it into whatever they want down the line. Whole lotta car/fun for $10k.

Spoken by a man who has had his share of rustbuckets w/ bondo - this sure don't appear to be one!
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Dr.Olds Illegitimate Son

Wish you were closer.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick
Wish you were closer.
there is always shipping!
Old April 19th, 2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cman7713
Don't let the trolls get to you LI Olds, you were as clear as could be. Some people just get off on being a$$holes in forums.

He says in his post:
"Unmolested in every way"
But he also says the car was recently repainted and if you bothered to look at the pictures the top has in fact been 'molested.'
Therefore the car is nowhere near as 'unmolested' as the OP claims.

Additionally, he also makes the claim the car has absolutely no bondo at all:

Take a look at the trailing edge of the front fender just behind the wheel and try to explain why there is waviness along those lines?
http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/li...tml?sort=3&o=5

Then take a look at the trailing edge of the trunk lid and try to explain those little rust holes that have formed.
http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/li...ml?sort=3&o=11

So in what manner has this car been 'preserved for years of trouble free enjoyment' when in fact at the very least this car will need a top.

One of the problems with this forum is that everyone is too busy kissing one anothers behinds making them too blind to see what is right in front of their faces.
Unless of course you are intentionally turning a blind eye in which case your suggestion that I just like being as @$$hole is a dubious one.

I have spent the last 6+ months trying to find a solid example of a Cutlass and I have followed up on many leads and contacts. Two instances I have had members of this forum try to pawn off their rusted hulks on me thinking I'm an idiot when I clearly stated in my post that I am looking for a *solid* example.

I know what I see when I see it.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:06 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by LI Olds
This is an Original Honest Southern car. It is unmolested in every way, no one has modified it or changed it, just preserved it for years of trouble free enjoyment. Same mechanic serviced it for over 40 years

Car was repainted in its original Glade Green factory color in mid 80’s from what original owners family recalls, It is showing its age

Power top was leaking from the pistons when I got it, so I pulled the top cylinder bolts which allow the top to raise and lower manually.
The top material is pulling away from the seams by the door frames, probably can be sewn at an upholstery/top shop

Even though this is a southern car it does have surface rust in the lower corners, and some in the drivers A pillar. Trunk is rock solid, as is trunk drop downs, floors super solid.
It looks like the op called out the items you mentioned, car repainted In the 80s tells me there may have been body work.

Unmolested followed by unmodified suggests the car is mostly stock it's difficult to keep a 40 yo 100% original w out a lot of$

The top needs work says so right there.

Some surface rusts suggests an inspection of all suspect areas is required.

To me it appears to be a 40+ yr old car in good condition at a reasonable price, nearly every 40 yo car needs work in some or multiple areas to be perfect, or it would appear to be perfectly reasonable to enjoy it as is.

I don't think there's any smooching going on, I don't know the op but I can see the car looks like a reasonable deal.

Perhaps you should go look at it if interested, but I suspect that maybe you have an expectations / wallet mismatch.....not that's there's anything wrong w that, I have the affliction
Old April 20th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Registered Luser

64, whatever it is you believe, have you seen this car in person? He doesn't claim the car to be all original, and, in no way says the car is perfect. If it was, he'd be asking much more than an asking price of 10k. What do you have, all of 10 posts here.....let the guy sell his car....if you don't have anything positive to add, keep it to yourself please! Also, if you spent more constructive time here, you'd see, we don't kiss *** to other members! I do happen to know the story to this car to be true....
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:25 AM
eds

Originally Posted by sixtyfourbeets
One of the problems with this forum is that everyone is too busy kissing one anothers behinds...
Don't think you have to worry about receiving similar treatment!
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:02 PM

Deal fell through

Last edited by LI Olds; May 3rd, 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:32 PM

I am reducing my asking price and will listen to reasonable offers
Old May 20th, 2014, 12:46 PM

I'm really surprised the car hasn't sold yet.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:43 PM

Whats the new asking price? Thanks
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fummins
Whats the new asking price? Thanks

New Asking Price? I'm negotiable if there is a serious offer

I just had the Original carburetor rebuilt and put in new plugs, wires.. car is running better than ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
quadrajet.jpg (75.8 KB, 41 views)
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:08 PM

car is SOLD...
Old June 6th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Registered Luser

Good job Matt!
Old June 6th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Good job Matt!

Bittersweet Erik, not gonna lie it was hard to watch it get flat bedded away, but I think both the buyer and I got a fair deal, and hopefully he will do the restoration he promised, the plus is the car is staying relatively local so hopefully I'll see it again.
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:55 PM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats Matt. Nice to have the cash and space but I know it is never easy to see the flatbed leaving your house with something like that.
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Congrats Matt.