Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1967 Delta 88 convertible

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2014, 07:40 AM

1967 Delta 88 convertible

This is one darn-nice looking car. Well-optioned, too. It has A/C, which has to have been a rarely-ordered option on a convertible back in those days. Also power windows, cornering lamps, and AM/FM radio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-E...US_Cars_Trucks

What do you think? Does mine compare? I don't know that mine is worth nearly $24K, but it's fun to think it is.

One question I have is the blacked out trim around the headlights and the trunk trim panel between the taillights. Was this available from the factory?

Old March 19th, 2014, 11:00 AM

jaunty75, where is all the correct lower body trim for that Ebay example? The fact that it is missing makes me concerned about other aspects of the car's restoration.

In my view, the blacked out trim of the restored car is non-factory.

All-in-all, from the photos you've furnished, I think your car should be worth significantly more than the Ebay car!

Which of the two different wire wheelcover styles is actually correct for these cars?

I've always admired the design and details of these '67 Delta 88's.
Old March 19th, 2014, 11:09 AM

That's a good point, chrome body side and wheel-opening moldings were standard equipment. That plus the blacked-out trim raises all kinds of questions about the restoration.

As far as the wire wheelcovers, mine are not correct as they're from the '80s, I believe. My car originally came with what I assume were the base wheelcovers, and I still have them. But wire wheelcovers were an option ($52.66), so the ones on the ebay car might be correct.
Old March 19th, 2014, 02:18 PM

jaunty75, I'm guessing that the car below is the Delta 88 Custom, correct? This would account for the different side trim, right? I believe this model also had the additional taillamps integrated into the rear bumper.

I suspect that this 2-door hardtop illustrates the correct wire wheel option for these cars. The style on the Ebay convertible is familiar to me, but my gut says it was a "Ninety Eight" only option beginning in '68. I might very well be incorrect about this point.

Back to the Delta 88 Custom below, I'm thinking that these cars were offered with a buckets / console interior. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In my view, these were the true successor to the Starfire in the Oldsmobile lineup.

Old March 19th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Centurion
jaunty75, I'm guessing that the car below is the Delta 88 Custom, correct? This would account for the different side trim, right? I believe this model also had the additional taillamps integrated into the rear bumper.
Correct on all counts.

I suspect that this 2-door hardtop illustrates the correct wire wheel option for these cars.
I would agree.

Back to the Delta 88 Custom below, I'm thinking that these cars were offered with a buckets / console interior.
Almost correct. Note the image below, which is taken from the section of the '67 Olds brochure dealing with the Delta 88 Custom. It was available only as a two- or four-door hardtop, and it came standard with bucket seats and console on the two-door (only), "Strato-Bench Seat" with fold-down armrest and column shift on the four-door, clock, and you can see the extra set of taillights in the bumper as you mentioned above.

To my mind, all that extra set of taillights has done is make it that much more difficult to restore a Delta Custom today as a replacement bumper can come from only another '67 Delta 88 Custom, not a regular Delta 88 or Delmont 88!

Old March 19th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Cool car!
Old March 19th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Registered Luser

The eBay car has several issues that annoy me....which, as someone else mentioned, makes me wonder about everything else. It also looks unfinished missing the lower moldings. I like jaunty's paint job better too!
Old March 19th, 2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I like jaunty's paint job better too!
Thanks, but I don't want to be too harsh on the ebay car. Those photos were obviously taken indoors under what were probably a large number of fluorescent lights. That has the effect of giving what's already a pretty bright, candy-apple-red paint job a really sparkly look. I think the seller would have done himself a favor by moving the car outside to a more neutral light source.

The photos of my car were taken outdoors, obviously, on a somewhat overcast day, which I think is really a very good set of lighting conditions in which to photograph a car.
Old March 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That's a good point, chrome body side and wheel-opening moldings were standard equipment. That plus the blacked-out trim raises all kinds of questions about the restoration.

As far as the wire wheelcovers, mine are not correct as they're from the '80s, I believe. My car originally came with what I assume were the base wheelcovers, and I still have them. But wire wheelcovers were an option ($52.66), so the ones on the ebay car might be correct.

Ebay car has 68-69 style wheelcovers.

Henry
Old March 19th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Some day I would like to make my own 67 "Deltamont" 88.

Course' I've also fantasized about combining both a 67 and a 68 as well.

Guess that means if money no object some day .....

It would be best to start with car(s) that needed a resto vs excellent originals or one(s) already restored.