Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible for sale

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2014, 03:25 PM

1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible Survivor for sale

Price $16,000 or best offer. Car is located in the Chicago area.

I am the 3rd owner and the car has not been molested. The car has never been restored.

My 1965 Cutlass convertible has 62,068.7 original miles on the odometer. I purchased the car without taking my wife along and then found out that the car sits too low for her to get out of, so it needs to go.

The car runs and drives like a new car, with no rattles. It got 15 MPG on a 250 mile tour this past summer. It has some patina in the order of chrome pits, touched up scratches, etc. Looks very good from 10 ft.

It has the original trunk mat and interior. The driver's seat has a tear that is about 8" long, the passenger seat shows some deterioration in the seating area, the back seat, door panels and dash pad are all mint. The steering wheel has 2 cracks in it.

The front fenders each have a soft spot near the bottom, but the rest of the car is rust free. The dash has scratches where the previous owner tried to tighten the ignition lock, but a good dash goes with the car.

The original Owner's manuals and ProtectoPlate are in the glove box and the Chassis and Body shop manuals go with the car.

The car was kept in an area of Wisconsin where alcohol free gas was available. I replaced the fuel pump, because I did not want gas dripping from a bad diaphragm on a tour. The original pump goes with the car.

A fitted car cover and the shop manuals also go with the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass-front.jpg (57.3 KB, 224 views)
cutlass-left-small.jpg (69.3 KB, 247 views)
cutlass-right_1.jpg (63.3 KB, 245 views)
cutlass-rear-int.jpg (46.1 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by TomOD; January 12th, 2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: update title
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Nice car. Too low to get in and out of?
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:24 PM

That's right, she has 2 artificial knees, and they don't work as well as the ones God gave her..
Old January 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM

btt
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:06 AM

btt
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM

This car is ready to take you any where. Just get in and turn the key to start the motor and drive.
Old April 26th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Just curious, is there any demand for 1965 Cutlass convertibles or should I call the junk man?
Old April 26th, 2014, 08:32 AM

Maybe at 9-10K. More desirable with a 4spd than auto tranny. Which engine? good luck with the sale.
Old April 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM

Definitely dont call the junk man. She is a beauty and someone would love to have her. Try giving ebay a shot of advertising in something more national. Im not in the market for another car right now but a convertible of the 64-66 is on the list. Good luck with the sale
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:46 AM

I see project cars with rusty floors and quarters listed for 9-10K. Haggerty says that the average price for this car is $17,000. This is a solid car, with only 62,000 on the 330 cu in, 315 Hp engine. It has no rattles and drives like it did when it was new.

I would think that someone would be interested in a nice survivor that would take him anywhere and back without having a problem.
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Magna is right - ebay would get you larger exposure. I'm a '65 guy and I'd ****** it up now if I had the resources. That looks like 'sterling blue' interior - that is a rare colour.
Beautiful car.
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TomOD
should I call the junk man?
Yes, this is exactly what I would do. The car hasn't sold, so throw it in the trash!

Have you tried advertising it anywhere besides this site? As much activity as this site gets, the exposure here is negligible compared to what you'd get with craigslist, hemmings, ebay, and others.

Hagerty values this car at $17K. The Old Cars Price Guide puts the value for a '65 Cutlass convertible in showroom condition at around $12K. I think your price is high, but it's not that high and is probably a reasonable asking price.

Having said this, though, you have to remember that people don't have $17,000 in their pocket to spend on something like this every day. Someone will come along who wants the car. You may in the end sell it for less than your asking price, but there's always some back-and-forth involved. It all depends on how quickly you want it sold.

Just remember that you're selling something that is in very nice shape but has a very small potential market. I think the best advice is what it always is. Advertise widely. Provide lots of photos. Answer any and all questions quickly and in a friendly way, no matter how screwy the question. And have patience. I notice that your original post has no contact information for you shown, so people can only contact you by posting on this thread or sending you a Private Message. This is not recommended practice. List your email address and phone number. You're trying to sell something. Yes, you might get spammers, but that goes with the territory. If you're afraid of spammers, set up a new email account on gmail or yahoo and use it only for this or only for selling things. In short, make it easy for people to contact you. Now is not the time to hide.

In the end, it could take 6 months, it could take a year, it could sell tomorrow. Selling a car privately is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by jaunty75; April 26th, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:03 AM

There is an a$$ for every seat-----That being said you drink that cool aid from Haggarty, NADA, etc. and you will wait a long time to sell your car....You want to sell it you got to price it to sell----not just for people to look at and move on.......I have sold lots of these cars. Its not a Camaro, Chevelle, GTO, or even a 442. Its a Cutlass......I have sold 2 nice 66 442s in the past year---one with out a spot of rust, perfect paint, near perfect interior, running driving with wrong motor, Both for less than $10,000. Sold a 67 Cutlass with 64,000mi perfect interior and ran fine for $4000......But guess what, I sold them. Just sold another one yesterday for $5000. I'll get more and I'll sell more but like I say---you got to want to sell them---just depends on how long you want to wait......
Old April 26th, 2014, 04:19 PM

You mentioned that the front fenders were soft at the bottom so rust issues? One rear quarter looks like it has a rust spot. And don't forget it still needs to be restored so I don't think 10-12K is out of line.
Old April 26th, 2014, 08:45 PM

Weathers improving should help with sale of drop top, would help with pictures of engine, trunk and underside. Do a video with car running and link it to u=tube, good luck with sale, may need to lower price some, compare to previous sales on fleebay.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:23 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will take some new photos and advertise elsewhere also.

The interior is Slate not Sterling Blue.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:40 PM

That car is awesome!

As with any auction or attempt to sell anything, the right buyer has to know it is for sale. Don't give up because that car HAS a buyer and is in the right shape to bring the money. Keep trying and you will not be disappointed.
Old June 17th, 2014, 02:27 PM

New pictures and price. Price reduced to $15,500 Here is a link to photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/1169601...eat=directlink
Old June 17th, 2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by TomOD
Price reduced to $15,500
From $16,000 to $15,500? A whole $500 off the original $16,000 is a whopping 3% price drop. Be still my beating heart.

In my opinion, if you're trying to stir some interest, this teeny of a price drop ain't gonna do it, but good luck. It is a good car and fairly priced (in my opinion).
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Car is sold