Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

am i asking to much for my car?

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM

i posted an add on craigslist..

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bar/4027959262.html

just looking for advice on the pricing on my car..
according to nada.com my cars value is between 19k and 33k.. low and mid end..
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:19 PM
"me somebody" site member

Normally I don't weight in on pricing (this site has a resident self-appointed expert for that ). But yeah, you are asking too much. Looks like a nice enough car, but there just ain't that much love for these big cars. Maybe a pristine example, but the engine comp. shots of your car look a bit gnarly. No offense meant, as my own engine bay is far from clean enough to perform brain surgery in, as some cars are. I have to assume the underside is the same way.

Also, from your post history (just looked outta curiosity), The car has its share of issues. Back in May you were so enthusiastic about it...did you pay that much or it?
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:36 PM

You need to show the interior, and maybe a shot with the top down also. No mention on the interior, so questions arise. Many will not ask, just pass by.
The engine bay needs lots of attention, so that might be a factor, also.
Questions about the frame condition will come up too - have any pics of the underside?

Paint looks good and overall, those ARE sharp looking cars!
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Administrator

The price is not the issue, I think your in line for what it is. The problem is that it's not a car that is particularly sought after. I don't think many folks get up one morning and say... I think I'm going to look for a Delmont 88. Be patient someone may fall in love with it. Take it to some shows with a For Sale sign on it.
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:30 PM

My feedback is who are you trying to sell it to? You want to sell it to just some dude, then they need pictures of all the neat stuff you added, like audio and the cleaned up engine.

You want to sell to an Olds man, you need to show all the stock stuff in nice condition, the body, the interior, etc, etc. Put good info down, what the hell is a 445? Did you mean 455? What are the numbers on the cam? How about some horsepower, or at least a description of how it drives.

You need good pictures not 30 min before it's dark. If you want to sell the car and make what you want, you need to get serious. $13k will buy a Cutlass with a 455 in just as nice of a shape that's just badges away from a 442 clone. You could get lucky and sell for that much, but you need to TRY.
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:04 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

$7500 obo. Two cans of "gunk" engine bay cleaner would work wonders under the hood.
But no matter what there is a very limited crowd that would buy it even if it was $500.
Seriously once people start to think at first about how cool a convertible is, then start to think of the up keep and replacement is, thats a hurt, green there again you got some fans but......................
A quick Saturday afternoon deal will be your best friend with a stranger involved!

Last edited by s i 442; August 31st, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:12 AM

Am i asking to much for my car?

Originally Posted by DigitalFubar
i posted an add on craigslist..

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bar/4027959262.html

Yes you are.
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:37 AM

all right thanks for the input.
fyi, i'm trying to sell it because i want the money as a down payment on the house i'm living in.. I was given the choice of moving or buying and my GF doesn't want to move..

Im no expert and as for pricing i just went to nada.com on the advice of some local garage..

now to some of the other replies.. engine bay is the same as i got it.. the frame is straight.. it drives great.. and for audie i went all out.. well.. close to it.. infinity kappas all around.. and a 12 sub.. with some nice amps..(sorry just not going to list exactly what it is out of boring you)

and lastly if i put 445 then my fat fingers got in the way and hit the wrong key.. lol

thanks for all the replys.. ill take all the advice..
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

CollectorCarMarket.com says $3,274 in #4 condition, $6,875 in #3 condition, and there's no way that car's a #3.

$5,000 sounds about right to me, but you could always get lucky.
$13,000 is outrageous.

The dusk photos make it look like you're trying to hide something. Take new ones.

- Eric
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Asking $13k is not outrageous for a running driving, and what seems to be an overall nice car. The price guides do not reflect the correct price of some of these cars and the selling price must be based on the merits of the vehicle itself. Basically if 2 have been sold, one being a POS parts car and another a decent driver, the guide is going to average the price of the 2.

I agree that the OP's car can use some detailing and he can benefit from removing the high dollar stereo and selling it separately to recoup some of that cash.

The car will sell when someone falls in love with it.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

My feelings about NADA and other old car price guides have been well documented. As always, the best data is when cash actually changes hands. Look at completed auction on ebay. There have been three 1968 Delmont 88 converts listed in the last month. (edit: two were 68s, one was a 67) None sold. Highest bid (which I'll admit is pretty meaningless since no cash changed hands) was $3,950 for a very nice yellow one in NY state.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The car will sell when someone falls in love with it.
Unfortunately, that's the truth, though I doubt it would sell for over $8,000 even to someone who is desperately in love with it.

Until that one person in a million comes along, though, that price is more than double what an ordinary buyer would pay.

- Eric
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:53 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

NADA for an old car is just not useable because people list that price and lose a sell for what it is really worth.
It is good however for newer cars because 1: that is near what the bank will loan you for the car and 2: You wouldn't want to list your $3500 car for $500 blindly.
Myself I watch Ebay, thats what they are selling or not selling for.
Barrett Jackson can rope goats and ride them off a cliff!
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:00 AM

Spend a week end under the hood clean and primp it out make sure the inside is spotless . Take some new photo's of the CAR you are not selling the neighbor hood your selling the car. To much clutter in the back ground take a video if you can. make it clean no burn outs no over the top music playing make it appealing to many. like others said list things to get them to call make yourself easy to reach . Here is what i used when i sold my car o craigslist.
good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
smaller.jpg (131.7 KB, 68 views)
small motor.jpg (121.4 KB, 67 views)
small intere shot.jpg (97.4 KB, 57 views)
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM

wow, I think that is one awesome car, but have to agree you are on the high end. Only because they are not in the same demand as an a-body. But its easier to lower your price than to raise it. I'd lower it just a bit and see what you can get. It is a relatively rare car (which doesn't always translate into valuable) but most importantly its a convertible. Those are always worth more.

As other mentioned a little detailing and better pictures would go far.
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:58 AM

I agree with oldcutlass, it is not a sought after car. It is not a 442 or even a Cutlass. It is what back then was considered the boat of cars. Yes it is nice. but, I really don't see it getting over $10k and that is a stretch. That is the bad part about fixing up a car that has no following. Yes it would be a nice car to have an drive. But who is looking for that? Almost no body. So, the value is way down.

Don't take it personal. It is what it is.
Old August 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM

ok ok.. let me take some of this advice and let it soak in.. detailing the engine bay is going to be a pain, that fire wall the most.. gotta figure that one out..

I am no expert, hence why i was asking for advice.. but if it just not worth it to sell it ill probably just end up keeping it as I LIKE THE CAR..

ok so any advice on how i should approach the engine bay?
the interior is good 6-7 out of 10.. couple of things.. driver seat has some rips but not as bad as it sounds(to me any ways) and the door handles..
I bought the car from the first owner.. and it was at 66k and its my daily driver and i have it at 76k now..

so im going to take some pictures of the interior as it stands being my daily driver.. just to show what it looks like..(being it the original I dont think its half bad..)
Old August 31st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... I LIKE THE CAR..

I bought the car from the first owner.. and it was at 66k and its my daily driver and i have it at 76k now..
In that case, don't sell it.

You won't find another one with such a good history, with such low mileage, in such good condition, and certainly not for what you probably paid for it.

This is one of those cars that you'll never make money on, and that you'll always regret selling.

- Eric
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:24 PM

well tbh I paid 6000 + 100 dollar delivery.. the old man drove 200 miles to me to show me it was sound.. minus a slight oil leak and power steering leak.. nothing else seems wrong with the car.. Im sure some one that knows more would be like hey you could do this and this and this.. and ill get there some day lol if i keep it.. most likely will as i do like the car alot..
choices..well thanks guys..

edit.. well the tops motor goes down but not up.. have a thread posted on it and i think it just need a refill of the type a tranny fluid.. but i haven't found the nipple i need any where..
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:27 PM

Oh so you were trying to make a quick buck and got caught up in your lack of correct research. $6000 is a fair price. You might just want to enjoy it and if the right guy comes along then you might make a few bucks.
Thanks for finally being honest about the situation.
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:35 PM

With the price of gas and the people that like these cars getting old the market is small for such cars.
We just had a big car auction come through and one of the local guys was selling his mint all original 57 chevy the market just was not there. It was the same on the east cost the age of the people that are into these cars are getting older and the market is getting smaller. On top of that money is tight. I think some cars will always be in like the early vets.
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:34 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

...well tbh I paid $6000 ...
And there you have it.
If you tried to resell it for $6K it'd probably sell again. Doubling your money on a Delmont 88 just isn't in the cards. Believe me, I know. I own two of them
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:11 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

1 rip or 10 rips in a seat means it all has to be redone. I have yet seen a seam that can be sewn back together. Same for carpet, headliner ETC.
I would just start flooding Craigslist, Racingjunk, and I think Ebay lets you post and ad 6 times free, but kind of spread it all out because not everyone checks sites daily so this week and next months viewers are different.
On Craigslist put a couple of ads as far as 500 miles away but make sure you state that how far they have to travel does not affect your price at all.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:32 AM
Administrator

IMHO, what he paid for the car has no relation to what he should ask to try and sell it. I agree with the above to put it on as many sites as possible to attract the broadest audience possible. Craigslist and other sites do not like spamming, which is multiple adds for the same car. So set your price, and then lower it over time until it sells or you decide that you can't go any lower. Make the car as nice as possible without spending a lot of money. Pull your stereo system and install a cheap radio and speakers that work.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:40 AM

Your comment to keep and use sounds about right to me. Big cars just don't have have the popularity as the A body cars. I also have owned a 1970 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible since 1979. It has every option available and is currently undergoing a total restoration. I have logged 250K with it and have driven it from south Florida to PA 5 times and many times to the mountains of NC on vacations. It is a great vacation / road car. It will be a #1 or close to it when it is done. But, unfortunately, it might bring middle to high teens if I were to sell it. But as a car I have owned and driven for 34 years and counting...PRICELESS! It owes me nothing.

Last edited by brown7373; September 1st, 2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:55 PM

People have gone to their grave waiting for someone to offer them what NADA says their car is worth.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM

The general rule of thumb in a situation like this is that, if you have to ask this question, you already know the answer.