Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

"World Famous" Gas Monkey '50 88.

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

"World Famous" Gas Monkey '50 88.

I know it was mentioned recently in some threads here but I just found out it's for sale now. Thoughts? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...t_13290wt_1172
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Wow, that price is what dreams are made of! I thought he negotiated the car being bagged into the selling price?
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Registered Luser

The fact they built it would turn me off....
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by ent72olds
the fact they built it would turn me off....
x2
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Not my cup of tea and firms up the fact that suckers are born every minute.
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Old School Olds

The 50 88 2 drs. are good looking cars, imo.
They could have rebuilt the engine and painted
it for goodness sake. That asking price is way
out in left field though...
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:41 PM

I have to agree with everyone here. But I have a disclaimer, I watch the show religiously.
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Justin

Hackers at best looking for a quick buck !!

I realize most of it is for ratings ,but the fact that people watch and learn from these shows is what kills me . just like the all girl garage puts chrome sockets and extensions on impacts guns witch I know we all do ,but people watch and practice these acts
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM

True. I sometimes wonder about how legit any of these shows really are. So I watch for the entertainment value only.
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:43 PM
car guy

Car as about as perfect a patina you could ever find. Needs a early Rocket price is high by 15K but someone might spend more just because of the show.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:21 AM

If I remember correctly they guy paid $15k for it on the show. Who knows if that's true or not.
Old July 25th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Past Administrator

We have all been commenting and started with IMO so here's mine. Should have rebuilt the original engine, should NOT have clear coated the original paint, they are making a TV show. True, they guys have talent but the time constraints they put on themselves or have put on them by the show producer forces them to just be "flipping cars". The thing that bothers me is that it I can't relate to them because they aren't doing it for the love of the cars, they do it for money which kind of rubs me the wrong way. Nothing wrong with making money but.....

And, they are so predictable. Lower it, put a crate engine in it, bag it, paint it flat black. Come on isn't there another formula to be used besides that one?
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:27 AM

Right there with you on that Oldsguy .
I also watch these shows for entertainment , or to argue with them thru the TV , and I wasn't aware of tools on All Girls Garage !
I love the car , but they should have kept the original engine , fixed the rust in the floors , I like the finish , but to me , having an idea of what it cost to build as done , I still wouldn't give $15k for it .
I love cars and bikes , or any machine really , and these guys on TV have cool ideas , but I don't feel the love for anything but money . I really hope they do better jobs on things off set ..... but I doubt it
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Administrator

It seems that there is a current trend down here in Texas to keep the "Patina" of the car and clear coat over it. I'm not a purist when it comes to the powertrain, however I really do think he's dreaming when it comes to how much clout the "World Famous" Gas Monkey Garage association will bring.
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:23 AM

i wouldn't buy anything from those *** monkeys
Old July 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by Grace Stinespring-Welch
i wouldn't buy anything from those *** monkeys
X2 but I would sell my parts car to them sense he loves paying top doller for ( &$$$@)
Old July 25th, 2013, 04:42 PM

I prefer shiny cars.
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think a lot of this patina BS is to be cheap and then claim they preserved the patina. The cost to spray a coat of clear doesn't even start to pay for the cost of a decent paint job. On this car they should have rebuilt the original engine since it was already there. It does look like they did a pretty nice job on the interior. This is a really desirable car but they are smoking something funny if they think they are going to get $34k for it.
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:39 PM

I watch the show only because nothing else is on at that time worth watching.I also don't like the crate engine swap if you have the original engine go ahead and redo it,save the patina crap,thats just a cheap way of not finishing the job.JMHO
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:22 AM
NôôB

Is that 800 dollars for speeding they put on that piece of paper? And did you also see the sellers note...
"car has a little rust in the floors that was never fixed and never installed the air ride mentioned in show.."

Also, what the EFF does patina stand for?
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:31 AM

I'm not much on the GM show but I like the Rat Rod and Patina thing. Just a different twist on our hobby. I went to a local show with a lot of cars last fall. There was a 50's something Original Suburban there with patina similar to this car. It just really stood out!
Old July 26th, 2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by sicky olds

Also, what the EFF does patina stand for?
Ok, "Patina" is a cute, elegant word eqal to missing paint, rust, uneven sheet metal, dings and worn chrome that has ocurred due to the passage of time.
Old July 26th, 2013, 05:51 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Ok, "Patina" is a cute, elegant word eqal to missing paint, rust, uneven sheet metal, dings and worn chrome that has ocurred due to the passage of time.
Well shoot my Rallye has plenty of Patina to it and then some lol
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:13 AM
car guy

Patina is natural aging of metal and paint. I heard the term for hardware in custom homes many years before I ever heard it for a car. I have a freind the makes custom high end brass hardware and people spend a lot of money to get a natural aged look. He has perfected the process over the years to make brand new castings look 100 years old. He had one job when I was in that buisness 10 years ago that just door / cabnet hardware and hinges bill for one house was over 100K

Now its common place even home depot sells "bronzed" faucets and hardware.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Patina is natural aging of metal and paint. I heard the term for hardware in custom homes many years before I ever heard it for a car. I have a freind the makes custom high end brass hardware and people spend a lot of money to get a natural aged look. He has perfected the process over the years to make brand new castings look 100 years old. He had one job when I was in that buisness 10 years ago that just door / cabnet hardware and hinges bill for one house was over 100K

Now its common place even home depot sells "bronzed" faucets and hardware.
Richard your 54 has great natural patina look how much money you can save by just clear coating it
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:50 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by citcapp
Richard your 54 has great natural patina look how much money you can save by just clear coating it
Nope. Mine is not real patina. Its rusty spots are are where someone started sanding off the paint and let it sit outside.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:42 PM

So the guy supposedly paid $25k for the car on the show! And now he's jacking his price up by $12,000 dollars? Yeah he's GOT extra cash for Cocaine appparently too since everyone knows what he paid $25,000 for it. And he acts like Chip Foose built the car... in my own personal opinion i love the "Patina Rod" that's what I'm coining them as and Patina is aging or natural oxidation to metal. Anywho! This is arguably the first Muscle car ever in the car world and highly collectable when properly restored! DONT clear coat the paint give it a show paint job and rebuild that DAMN original engine which maintains and ads value. Now you have another mis-match car with its original engine lost out there Chevy motors are NOT the cure all! Its an Olds I'd rather see my Big Block Buick 455 that I'm building in there before I see a Chev motor in it if I were to swap it! "BOP"...Gas Monkey is alright sometimes but they butcher and ruin cars and its all about the money to them as you've all said. I mean the screwed up a 1959 Bonneville for goodness sake just to make some visitors a hoopty. And you all seen how he got pissed at the 75 Olds Delta 88 Convertible and wanted nothing to do with it after his drunk mechanic couldn't get it started he slammed the hood and sold it off cause he was wasting money! Sounds like a Money love affair and not a car love affair. And half their cars don't even have titles to them.
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Oh wow, he lowered the price by $500 now!
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:28 AM

I'd be hard-pressed to give him $3600 for it. Just isn't worth it.
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:31 AM

Clearcoated to preserve the patina .... then puts on new mags ... what's wrong with this picture (outside of everything)

I put this right up there with the Donks.
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:21 AM

Back in the '90's, I had to drive my '71 Olds Toronado winter car to the junk yard. It had patina right through the frame rails at the rear arches.
In the midwest, patina = rot, or soon to be rot...
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:05 PM

Monkey business

when the gas monkey garage 1st showed
saw the 50 Olds coupe in there up and coming episodes

after i watch that show i knew there money comes from
sell there series to the cable network

or maybe there's one born every minute
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:21 AM

Reminds me of rat rods. Cobble something up and then put a $20,000 dollar price tag on it.I had a 34 ford sedan back in the 70's. It had a 4 speed B&M Hydro-stick in it, a 330 Olds, and was a drag car for awhile. I had it on the street, and it was fender-less.. I couldn't even join the local street rod club as they felt the car wasn't "worthy" of their prestigious club. I paid $500 bucks for it, and sold it 2 years later for $1000. I always thought I got a good deal when I bought it, and a better deal when I sold it. Back to the Olds in question, there's always an *** for a drivers seat.