Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

68 Olds 442 Convertible Factory 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM
JW1

68 Olds 442 Convertible Factory 4 Speed

Have to part with my 68.Bought her about 4 years ago from a guy who was in the process of changing her over to automatic...Horrors..
He never gave title, so I am working to obtain it.
68 Olds Convertible 4-4-2 Factory 4 Speed.455 Rocket V-8 (includes a Hurst Shifter ).One of only 1,518 4-speed Convertibles built ! Needs restoration completed. Has 1971,455 Rocket V 8. -when purchased ,told it ran gd. Not sure of mileage. Needs to be hooked up.True mileage of car 60,000 miles. No transmission,radiator ,wires, hoses, etc.(Muncie transmission sent to be rebuilt, available for purchase) P.disc brakes,P.S.
Body excellent,no dents,dings.Previous owner had body sandblasted.Floors gd cond.Frame gd.Two new floor pans,braces being installed in trunk.Rear bumper gd condition,Front bumper fair,straight,some area surface rust.Glass gd Rare Factory power antenna.Factory Hood needs adjust.Need outside door locks,trunk lock,felts,rubbers,emblems,exhaust.etc.Need 68 Black egg crate grill.

Dash excellent -needs several *****.Original AM radio.New carpet,sill plates. Factory 4-4-2 Front bucket seats,rear seat- excellent -re-covered.Gauges fair.Need door panels,back wrap around interior,outside mirror,visors,convertible top.Power top worked great in past.Convertible frame gd.
partial list,not everything to finish restoration. .
Hurst Shifter Floor Console needs to be installed when transmission is installed
Items to go w/:Wiring harness,side markers for front fenders & rear quarters,some orig.emblems."Oldsmobile" Chrome strip across trunk,orig Brakes,clutch assembly..
Fame gd.New Body Bushings Base coat Black Primer.New Tires.
Purchased Olds w/out drivetrain 1971 455 Rocket V- 8 4years ago from owner of 30 years,who never drove it.Told it had been rebuilt & ran gd.Have simply run out of funds to continue restoration of this highly sought after rare 4-4-2.The Olds was originally black car w/ white interior.Not sure of value.Have listed online on several sites.Have an idea of what it might be worth,plus what others have stated.There is such limited info on the cowl tag.The only verification of it being a Factory 4 Speed,is the previous owner's word- and the Factory opening and weld. (Remember he was in the process of making it into an automatic,thank goodness he did not touch the opening) It will also need a 4 speed tilt steering column. So,it's killing me not to be able to resore it because they are just so hard to find and it was an awesome car.Don't know how to add a few photos to this.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome to CO and that's
sad that you can't finish her up.
Pics, pics... and the majic number
would help alot too. Good luck sir.
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM
JW1

Hi True Blue

I will try to find out how to post photos. I was going to remove the Cutlass grill first,since I have had a few snarky responses to it on Ebay regarding a few incorrect parts.( That are easy enough to remove- as it is being sold for restoration).
I am not sure of the price. I do not know what she will bring. I have been told it might or should bring close to $20.I have no idea.Hopefully someone is searching for a Factory 4 Speed that they want to restore and can make a reasonable offer. If I cannot post the photos here, is it okay to state that I did list it on the Washington Dc ebay local classified's for sale as well, since there are more photos there?I guess the moderator will let me know .
Thanks,Cindy

Last edited by JW1; March 14th, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Trying to find out how to add photos
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM
car guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...cf973445#v4-42
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:01 PM

Cindy,

Given that you are having issues with the title it would be good to show a pic on the VIN attached to the cowl. The pic is so close you can't even see the rivets. I see that the cowl tag appears to be removed. Not a big deal, mine was hanging by one rivet when I got it too but the VIN has to be attached or you're asking for trouble. I'd get a good pic of the Z-bar bracket too in case anyone asks.

I hate to burst your bubble but I don't see any where near $20k. I'm not trying to be a jerk but a restored one goes for between $25k & $35k.

Last edited by allyolds68; March 14th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Old School Olds

Looks like it has good bones for sure.
I think it will make a good project for someone.
If it hits 10, take it. Who knows, it could go higher.
Good luck with it and welcome Cindy.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:27 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Looks like it has good bones for sure.
I think it will make a good project for someone.
If it hits 10, take it. Who knows, it could go higher.
Good luck with it and welcome Cindy.
If it hits 10K take it and run like the wind. Its basically and nice looking shell that will still need plenty of body work before paint and none of the original drivetrain is there.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:18 PM
JW1

Selling 68 Olds

Thanks. No offense taken. sure appreciate all the advice and good wishes. I have alot more than $10 in it just trying to take it where it is now.
But I have not seen any restored Factory 4 speeds close to that price.In fact, I have only seen one or two available. Wonder if there is a registry or a way to find out how many of the 1,518 are still living.
Thanks so much to all the members of ClassicOldsmobile.com. What a fantastic site!!!
Regards,
Cindy
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JW1
Thanks. No offense taken. sure appreciate all the advice and good wishes. I have alot more than $10 in it just trying to take it where it is now.
But I have not seen any restored Factory 4 speeds close to that price.In fact, I have only seen one or two available. Wonder if there is a registry or a way to find out how many of the 1,518 are still living.
Thanks so much to all the members of ClassicOldsmobile.com. What a fantastic site!!!
Regards,
Cindy
There's no registry and no way to know how many are left. There have been two pretty high sales of 68 4 speed verts in the last couple of years. One was a black one at Barrett-Jackson three years ago where it went for $125k. There's no rhyme or reason as to why that car sold for so much. Probably two drunk guys that wanted it. About a year ago a beautiful blue one was sold at Mecum or B-J to a dealer for around $50k and was immediately listed for sale for like $95k. He'll never get that. The 68 4 speed verts usually sell for around $30k or a little higher. I follow them on ebay pretty closely and I don't think I've ever seen one bring more than $35k. Ebay's a lot more realistic representation of the market.

W30's verts bring that kind of money easily IF they're documented

Last edited by allyolds68; March 14th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.