Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 W30 4 Speed Project For Sale

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:14 AM

Sal i dont get why your so vague on your answers on this car. If you have nothing to hide. Why hide it? I know J-chicago, and Olds92. Trust me when i say they are good people and are not up to no good.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by f-85
Sal i dont get why your so vague on your answers on this car. If you have nothing to hide. Why hide it? I know J-chicago, and Olds92. Trust me when i say they are good people and are not up to no good.

Read his last post, I had never thought about the reverse happening, someone claiming to have the "correct" engine and profiting off of someones desire to put an engine back with its rightful car. Wow, think about how excited one would be to find out the original engine to this car was "found" and in reality it was a restamp. How many folks could tell the difference? It was not coincidence two different people claimed to have his matching numbers Chevy engine, clearly there are people out there trying to take advantage of the desire for matching numbers.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:29 AM

In the chevy world that stuff happens all the time. This is the Olds world. Not as easy to get away with that stuff. Come one now. J-chicago is a moderator on this forum and has been here forever. Do you really think he is going to try and fake a w30?
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have the original engine from this w-30 m/t Holiday car ---> 344870M283990 . Was pulled around 2005.

The car was totaled out, but someone dragged it back out of the junkyard and stashed it. I am looking for that person.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I have the original engine from this w-30 m/t Holiday car ---> 344870M283990 . Was pulled around 2005?.

The car was totaled out, but someone dragged it back out of the junkyard and stashed it. I am looking for that person.

OOOOOHHHH SH*T you shouldnt have posted the vin number. Now someone is gonna buy your motor and build a fake W30! HAHA
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM

In the chevy world that stuff happens all the time. This is the Olds world. Not as easy to get away with that stuff. Come one now. J-chicago is a moderator on this forum and has been here forever. Do you really think he is going to try and fake a w30?

Did I say that? NO! I said I never thought about the implications of reverse engineering a W30 with a fake motor. I did not accuse J of anything. And it is harder to fake a VIN than it is to restamp a motor. The VIN for a 1970 W30 would be on the frame and the transmission as well, much harder to fake a whole car retamp than an engine. And I am not that naive to think folks in the Olds world wouldn't do it either. Maybe not the consistent members on this forum but how about those trolling on here for just that reason.

It doesn't matter to me as I know what I own.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:15 AM

I have the original engine from this w-30 m/t Holiday car ---> 344870M283990 . Was pulled around 2005.

That would be an Early November 1969 build
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:31 AM

WOW
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Just for another perspective.

Fraud runs rampant throughout the whole industry and hobby, with all makes and models.

W-Machines are one of the easiest types of Muscle Cars to Fake. A good percentage of W-Machines sold publicly in recent years have been frauds.

Original, blank, authentic Oldsmobile broadcast cards were found years ago, and were even for sale on eBay blank for awhile.

W-Machines are not immune to having blocks restamped, or letter codes on heads altered.

Not everyone can afford to pay up front for a done all correct W-Machine, some enthusiasts can do most of the work themselves. This one seems like a fair price for a good starting point.
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

OOOOOHHHH SH*T you shouldnt have posted the vin number. Now someone is gonna buy your motor and build a fake W30! HAHA
Even if the block was the incorrect vin derivative, it would be cool to make 1 decent w-30 out of 2 different cars so long as it is presented as such. Sometimes you have to go to war with the weapons you have. This stuff isn't easy to find. Perhaps that is what Olds92's line of thinking was. Buy my engine and this car, salvage 2 birds with 1 stone, and get a cool w-30 out of the deal.. I think it is a safe bet that this isn't going to happen now that everyone is showing their teeth.

So what say you, gentlemen?

Can L69 prove the pedigree of this car in some other fashion? Brandon R. was selling a w-30 broadcast card last week. You probably didn't buy it because his was from a 71', but still this shows that buying/faking broadcast cards is possible. I think you'll find that people are extremely picky when it comes down to details on these models. As previously stated, counterfeiting has left a sour taste in everyone's mouth nowadays.

I think regardless of what the vin is, it would be nice for people to see that your broadcast card matches the body number. It would definitely help your sale. Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the general vibe that I get from these w-30 threads.

So people, keep in mind that if you ever see the vin I posted represented as a 100% legit w-30, it is NOT.
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM

. Buy my engine and this car, salvage 2 birds with 1 stone, and get a cool w-30 out of the deal.
So what say you, gentlemen?
I think that's a great idea, and personally have nothing against this. I think a W30 with documentation and a different engine is a great opportunity to own and also gives the owner some freedom without the unnecessary stress of preserving a rare car.

I don't mean to say the car for sale is not a value or wouldn't be a great car - I have my opinion on that - I just understand why he is not providing the VIN in a public forum. If I had the cash I'd like J's motor as well - would be a nice back up to have as it would be a very close build date to my convert - though I rather see it find its correct home but that may never happen so someone should buy this car and his engine and have a W30 at a decent entry price.

Last edited by stevengerard; March 6th, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I think that's a great idea, and personally have nothing against this. I think a W30 with documentation and a different engine is a great opportunity to own and also gives the owner some freedom without the unnecessary stress of preserving a rare car.

I don't mean to say the car for sale is not a value or wouldn't be a great car - I have my opinion on that - I just understand why he is not providing the VIN in a public forum. If I had the cash I'd like J's motor as well - would be a nice back up to have as it would be a very close build date to my convert - though I rather see it find its correct home but that may never happen so someone should buy this car and his engine and have a W30 at a decent entry price.
11 k for a half assed w-30 is a pretty cool idea in my opinion as well. Throw another 10k at L69's beater to make it nice again, and have a bad *** car at the price of a regular 442 anyway. I'm pretty sure that's what Olds 92's train of thought was as well. However, I'm sick of trying to find the original car and dealing with everybody's creepy tiptoeing around all the time. I put it on ebay ending sunday so I may finally be rid of this curse.

If L69 would provide undeniable proof that this is a real w-30 car, then I'm fairly certain that someone would jump on both of these items, but again, there are 100 different pitfalls on the way. I see it from more than 2 sides of this coin, being that I'm always caught in the middle on these transactions.

Nobody is going to buy this car just to stick a 2 bbl smog 350 in it. Let's be real here, folks.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM
L69

provide undeniable proof. Then someone just take a ride out to CT look at the braodcast cards and trim tag match everything up and see that the car is what she is. Obviously as steve minore would state their are other thinjgs on the car that prove she is what she is. Real W30 guys would know and I am sure many of us on here kow as well. Not trying to hide anything, but if someone really wants this car and want to make sure every thing is what it is then hop on a plane or drive to CT. If you fly I will even pick you up at the airport and provide you with a free room to stay at. LOL... No serious I got a guy, that knows a guys, that knows another guy

11 k for a half assed w-30 is a pretty cool idea in my opinion as well. Throw another 10k at L69's beater to make it nice again, and have a bad *** car at the price of a regular 442 anyway. I'm pretty sure that's what Olds 92's train of thought was as well. However, I'm sick of trying to find the original car and dealing with everybody's creepy tiptoeing around all the time. I put it on ebay ending sunday so I may finally be rid of this curse.

If L69 would provide undeniable proof that this is a real w-30 car, then I'm fairly certain that someone would jump on both of these items, but again, there are 100 different pitfalls on the way. I see it from more than 2 sides of this coin, being that I'm always caught in the middle on these transactions.

Nobody is going to buy this car just to stick a 2 bbl smog 350 in it. Let's be real here, folks.
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Its the real deal guys, Sal would not have purchased it if i did not verify that it was real first. Broadcast card and body number match along with the color. There are other tell tale signs also. if anyone needs to verify that please contact me.

STeve
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by L69
LOL... No serious I got a guy, that knows a guys, that knows another guy
Haha I got a chuckle outta that at least. This thread isn't all bad.
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:04 PM
L69

lifes to short not to laugh!!!
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM

w30 cards

These cards are all different. I hope mine is legit !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
w30-1.jpg (15.5 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Vader; March 6th, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: wrong card
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
72 Olds CS

shoot thats exactly what I was going to do

Now that you let the cat outta the bag...I may go w this instead http://www.ebay.com/itm/1230-HP-Olds...d53bc2&vxp=mtr
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
These cards are all different. I hope mine is legit !

wow, that card has more W30s on it than any I have ever seen, maybe its a real real W30 W30 !

Is that a W34 on it as well - to the right oh just noticed it looks like it is W3Z in number 5 would be cool to find out what all those boxes were for.
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM

?

Originally Posted by stevengerard
wow, that card has more W30s on it than any I have ever seen, maybe its a real real W30 W30 !

Is that a W34 on it as well - to the right oh just noticed it looks like it is W3Z in number 5 would be cool to find out what all those boxes were for.
But what do you make of this card ? do you think it's not a w30 ?
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
shoot thats exactly what I was going to do

Now that you let the cat outta the bag...I may go with this instead http://www.ebay.com/itm/1230-HP-Olds...d53bc2&vxp=mtr
I apologize for dashing your lifelong dream of a 150hp rot box to bits, Retroranger. Luckily there are way worse cars out there for you to choose from.

Hopefully, this babushka bird will cheer you up in the mean time.

Attached Images
babushka bird.jpg (25.6 KB, 243 views)
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
But what do you make of this card ? do you think it's not a w30 ?
I have no idea, looks legit to me but as mentioned there are a bunch of W30s on there and the ones I have and have seen have only one W30 in the #5 box if I remember correctly. If I was a betting man I'd say its legit and when printed was just stuck in the printer or the command for W30 was given too many times.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:22 AM

Sal's car was built in November/69. J's block came from a later car,built in early 1970.
Sal's car would have come with the carb # 7040256 UA 2569,distributor # 1111977 9G21,and likely the September-dated OLDSMOBILE W455 intake.

Vader,What the hell is that? Rain man? "Yea,definitely W30,W30,yea definitely W30".
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:21 AM

Sal, i want to know why i didnt get espresso when i came over.
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Rotflmfao!!!

Last edited by Uncle Hulka; March 7th, 2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: CAPS
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Sal, i want to know why i didnt get espresso when i came over.

you got Foxon Park soda Pete!!! LOL
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by StickW31
you got Foxon Park soda Pete!!! LOL

Ho ricevuto niente

And that was after i delivered him a part which was after he beat me up on the price.

I will make up for it when i request something on the day of his daughters wedding
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM
L69

hahahaha
this has turned into one hell of a fun thread boys. My daughters wedding, damn am I that italian looking!!!!
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
L69

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Sal's car was built in November/69. J's block came from a later car,built in early 1970.
Sal's car would have come with the carb # 7040256 UA 2569,distributor # 1111977 9G21,and likely the September-dated OLDSMOBILE W455 intake.

Vader,What the hell is that? Rain man? "Yea,definitely W30,W30,yea definitely W30".
brian,
you got a w30 intake for me.?
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:27 AM
L69

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Ho ricevuto niente

And that was after i delivered him a part which was after he beat me up on the price.

I will make up for it when i request something on the day of his daughters wedding
niente, bullshit I know I offered you an espresso while I was chainsmoking that pack of cigarettes while you stool their with your busted leg, LOL.
Cmon down pete espresso for everyone, along with meatballs and Foxon Park Soda. Ill put the strombolis in the oven now lol lmao
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:11 PM

I promise when I go to Cars and Coffee at F40 I will stop by.

Sorry to hijack your thread.
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:52 PM

leave the guns..... take the conolli
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:01 AM

I have a car for the intake.Sorry.This was the best one I've had in awhile.I sold most of the other ones,due to some sort of flaw,or damage.
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM

w31

Brian, can you verify this card is correct for a w31 ? thx
Attached Images
w31.jpg (14.9 KB, 45 views)
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Mine is marked W31 in box #3,A51 in box #5,U58 in box #9,U57 in box #13.

I "think" all 70 W30's/W31's were marked in box #3,and the 71 W30's were marked in box #9.
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:15 AM

w31

Guess you missed the month and day the car was made ..... 4 /1
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:23 AM

I saw the 4-1,but now I get it.Funny.
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:05 AM

Why not just post the VIN on the block and have the seller of the car verify if it matches...
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Johnd
Why not just post the VIN on the block and have the seller of the car verify if it matches...
?
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Mine is marked W31 in box #3,A51 in box #5,U58 in box #9,U57 in box #13.

I "think" all 70 W30's/W31's were marked in box #3,and the 71 W30's were marked in box #9.
I checked mine #3 bix as well, #9 has U58 as well

Quick Reply: 1970 W30 4 Speed Project For Sale