Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 Cutlass W-31

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:11 PM

what did it cost you we talked about that you were thinking 150
was that to list and sell or why did it cost if deal got hosed?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:44 PM

That is a situation I feel is unfair about eBay. The buyer can back out, never show, whatever you wish to call it and the seller CAN NOT leave bad feedback!!! It happened to me not long ago; never showed to pick it up, came up with some lame excuse. I still don't understand eBay's reasoning on this matter. Isn't that what the whole idea of feedback is for? So we can get a feel for someone's reputation and intent that we haven't met before? Only the buyer has the option of leaving negative feedback. The seller lists the car, said car meets reserve and sells, seller pays eBay's fees, buyer backs out of deal!!! Why SHOULDN'T the seller have the option to leave negative feedback on that particular buyer? Then, as a seller, if an item receives a bid from a "dead-beat" the seller can question that bidder or if so chooses may refuse the bid. I've never understood or heard a meaningful answer to that one.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:02 PM

i would go so far to say also ebay should at closing TAKE the 100 or 200 or what ever the amount that is upfront on a sale from buyer . i have said a few times when talking about sale prices on cars this car or that car was bid to said amount so its worth so much Not knowing the reserve on his car I bid to what i thought was an amount I would pay. I also think they should start at a price they will sell the car for and see were it goes otherwise you get someone who is just fishing . If a car has a BIN of say 20,000 why start a bid at 2000 when we all know that will not get the car ? I didn' t think my bid would win his car but I would have fallowed threw on it . I have got two cars from ebay sold non it is a
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
72 Olds CS

same ebay complaint I had a deadbeat bidder, I couldnt leave negative feedback, after a second chance auction the original deadbeat gave me negative feedback !!!
ebay wouldnt remove it, I responded to it but its the fact that he screwed me and then left me negative feedback but I cant leave him negative FB ???? that was 3-4 years ago, because of and since that incident ebay is my last resort, and has hardly been used.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:55 PM

The final value fee was $125. I filed a claim against the buyer and ebay is trying to contact him. I cannot reach a real person at ebay to tell them that the buyer responded to my email within hours of the sale stating that he couldn't complete the transaction. What pisses me off is that he bid to reach the reserve within hours of the auction ending and agreed to the price minus the steel wheels and Firestones. I don't mind as much about the buyer, as I don't want to just give ebay $125.

I also agree with you guys about the feedback policy. Paypal is almost as bad with their policies. I got screwed selling a set of tires that the buyer claims he didn't receive. Paypal told him they would refund his money if he returned the tires. The buyer sent me one tire and it wasn't even the same tires I sold him. I'm about finished with both of them.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM

I canceled the transaction and ebay credited my account for the $125.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:04 PM

FireFrost Gold,
Thanks for bidding on the car. You were a couple grand short of what I would have sold it for with the Rallys and radial tires. If it doesn't sell at Springfield, I might list it again.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1carsick
I'm currently trying to recoupe my ebay fees. If I can get those back, I may relist later. I've purchasde a slot in an upcoming carshow/swapmeet in Springfield, OH and I'll try my luck there. I've sold cars to dealers at this show in the past, so hoping for something positive. My Camaro is ready to come home from the painter and I don't have space. Bad situation.
Thanks,
sharp little car ,but i would do a 4 speed swap

IMHO you should take any offer around 10k and run like hell

there are real w31's out there selling for what you're asking

for example,20k will buy this one from a consignment dealer

actual owner probably only wants 12-15K for it
http://www.nickeychicagoinc.com/1969...ne-of-106-114/
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Fyi

Originally Posted by chrismcgurk
sharp little car ,but i would do a 4 speed swap

IMHO you should take any offer around 10k and run like hell

there are real w31's out there selling for what you're asking

for example,20k will buy this one from a consignment dealer

actual owner probably only wants 12-15K for it
http://www.nickeychicagoinc.com/1969...ne-of-106-114/
You are wrong. The car @ nickey would not and did not sell for $20k. It went over $23k on eBay and later sold for more.

Are you really telling the seller that he should take $10k for a car that went over$16k when he had it on eBay.

Maybe stop posting when you have been drinking.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
You are wrong. The car @ nickey would not and did not sell for $20k. It went over $23k on eBay and later sold for more.

Are you really telling the seller that he should take $10k for a car that went over$16k when he had it on eBay.

Maybe stop posting when you have been drinking.
that w-31 went to 22,100 on ebay,didnt meet reserve

if they paid more,there is always a sucker for every car

as for what a car gets bid to on ebay,that is laughable.it didnt sell.

what it sells for is the bottom line,not an ebay auction

i dont know who you are,but you seem the type that likes to start arguments online,for whatever reason

if you see my comments,just ignore them,and move on.

i have no time for people like you.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM

More

i dont know who you are,but you seem the type that likes to start arguments online,for whatever reason

You are the one who came here telling the owner of the tribute car to sell it for $10k. You sound like a know it all to me. Perhaps it is you who should not be posting.

I am sure Stephano would laugh at your $20k on the w-31 he sold that you are referring to. I know I am.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

Old May 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM

Fyi

15 posts and already ruffling feathers. Nice work!
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Our W-31, sold on eBay with a buy it now option.

The information you posted about the car is mostly inncorrect.

We are buyers for any similar condition, documented numbers matching, W-31 4 speeds for $20k and under.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:29 PM

Stefano, I am glad your car sold, and frankly thought it would've sold sooner than it did. I applaud you for sticking with it and being a gentleman to those who bashed you, the car, the price, and the description. There is currently a '70 W-31 post, stick that is a total frame-off resto. on eBay. I know the car well and know what the seller is shooting for money-wise; I do not know the owner. The one you had was a perfect candidate to be restored or could be used as-is. The one I speak of that is offered on eBay has been restored and is on my "watch list".
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stefano
Our W-31, sold on eBay with a buy it now option.

The information you posted about the car is mostly inncorrect.

We are buyers for any similar condition, documented numbers matching, W-31 4 speeds for $20k and under.
i stand corrected,but i saw the first auction end at 22k with reserve not met.didnt you have this car listed for 22K at one time?

consignment dealer,right?

are you saying you bought that w-31 for 20k,or you sold it on consignment??

if you sold it on consignment,what did the actual owner get,after your cut?

15k??right??

dont take this the wrong way,but consignment dealers are one of the reasons the musclecar car hobby has been a mess for the last 20 years
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM

i stand corrected,but i saw the first auction end at 22k with reserve not met.didnt you have this car listed for 22K at one time?

consignment dealer,right?

We have both cars that we own and cars which are at our facility on consignment. This car was never listed by us for $22,000.00.

are you saying you bought that w-31 for 20k,or you sold it on consignment??

We had much more than $20K invested into that W-31. The initial purchase price is only one component.

if you sold it on consignment,what did the actual owner get,after your cut?

15k??right??

This car was not on consignment.

dont take this the wrong way,but consignment dealers are one of the reasons the musclecar car hobby has been a mess for the last 20 years

Really? Most all of our customers would tell you, quite the contrary.

But since I don't know you, why don't you tell me just exactly what you have done to improve "the hobby" over the last 20 years?
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Sale Pending.
Very positive response to car at last weekend's Cars & Parts Swapmeet and Car Show held in Springfield, OH.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Runner

Sale Pending.
Very positive response to car at last weekend's Cars & Parts Swapmeet and Car Show held in Springfield, OH.
That's good to hear. I always thought it was a good looking car.
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Always room for one more

This car is listed on ebay, out of Dallas, GA, for about half what you've been asking. I'm guessing this isn't your listing?

Reminds me of the dark green Cutlass S that was scammed on craigslist for seemingly years.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Registered Luser

Sale Pending.
Great news! Looks to be a beautiful, and honestly represented car! Hopefully, you didn't settle on 10k....LOL.....good luck the rest of the way!
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Sold!

The proud new owner has just pulled off and headed to the Cleveland, OH area.

Thanks for all of the kind comments during the selling process. I did hold out for a little more money : ). I was on to that guy. I read some of his postings on other members stuff. I would have driven the wheels off of it before selling for $10K.

After I get this Camaro finished, I'll be back in the market for another Olds.
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:14 PM

Cool

Congrats on the sale. What a great looking car and the original asking price was more than fair IMHO. Every car has a different value for a different reason and a lot of these posts tried to put all cars in a neat little box. That is not possible unless you are comparing new cars on a showroom floor. 10 k for a car like yours? Really? I will pay that guy 10k if he can find another as nice as yours!
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

X2 on the sale! I recently sold a 70 that spoke for itself in terms of value...I went through 27 people and fielded all their questions and criticisms!
The guy who bought the car, asked and criticized the LEAST...a good lesson learned.....
Congrats again on the sale!

Ted
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:09 AM

Good morning all, I am still doing my homework on these W31 cars and need some help. I get alot of conflicting info about tranny codes, posi rear codes, heads, etc.

Thanks Dave Siltman for the words of wisdom. What engine casting code should I look for that is true to a 70 W31? What about the carburetor? I have Mothersheds book and it shows two codes. I assume the 1970 W31 had a unique carburetor to it vs. a vista cruiser or Supreme or other years W31 models? When it comes to the heads, I am easily confused about what should be right vs. what came off a non W31 car. Any pics someone can post I can better educate myself on?
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by rocketman77
Good morning all, I am still doing my homework on these W31 cars and need some help. I get alot of conflicting info about tranny codes, posi rear codes, heads, etc.

Thanks Dave Siltman for the words of wisdom. What engine casting code should I look for that is true to a 70 W31? What about the carburetor? I have Mothersheds book and it shows two codes. I assume the 1970 W31 had a unique carburetor to it vs. a vista cruiser or Supreme or other years W31 models? When it comes to the heads, I am easily confused about what should be right vs. what came off a non W31 car. Any pics someone can post I can better educate myself on?

PM your email address and phone number and i can provide you with some answers to your questions

Thanks,

STeve