Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 442 convertible 1 of a kind !

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM

I'm an original car guy but I like it. Tastefully done. Good luck with your sale. I see you have it on cars online. http://www.cars-on-line.com/62894.html
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 455monster
why would I set such an average tone or set of words to such a magnificent car?

would you wear a custom tailored suit with gym socks?
I dunno. Depends on whether I can find a custom tailored suit that fits me in the Goodwill.
How hard is it to get oil stains out of those, anyway?

come on. now you guys are attacking my choice of words lol.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger - I was just making a sociological observation.

look from what I've gathered most of you guys wouldn't spend 6k on custom one off 3 piece wheels
Heck, I've never spent that much on a whole car.

this would have happened regardless of tone!
That may be true. I won't argue with it. Folks on here ain't always the most agreeable, but they do like to have fun sometimes, and they DO help each other out.

- Eric
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM

This is rediculous. Period. No wonder why I don't visit ROP often. Get It? What is up with all of this lately. This used to be the best site for just plain very good information and friendly attitudes. Sharing thoughts and giving helpfull information about Oldsmobiles without getting flamed for a simple question or answer. Sheesh. Let the guy just sell his car the way HE likes it and get over it. I used to read this forum to relax in the evenings.
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
This is rediculous. Period. No wonder why I don't visit ROP often. Get It? What is up with all of this lately. This used to be the best site for just plain very good information and friendly attitudes. Sharing thoughts and giving helpfull information about Oldsmobiles without getting flamed for a simple question or answer. Sheesh. Let the guy just sell his car the way HE likes it and get over it. I used to read this forum to relax in the evenings.
X2 Amen. The guy isn't ripping anyone off as far as I can see. Leave him alone and lets see where it goes BUT it is fun teasing someone as long as the one being teased doesn't mind
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ctsplicer
Oh for Christs sake,WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR THE FRICK'EN CAR?And just what is so wrong with wearing gym socks with my custom tailored suit?I wear clean sneakers with them!
lmao..... car is no longer available to anyone on this forum so price is irrelevant.
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
amen brother! I've never had this problem on oldspower either
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 69'442
I'm an original car guy but I like it. Tastefully done. Good luck with your sale. I see you have it on cars online. http://www.cars-on-line.com/62894.html
thanks for the kind words. looks like you found my car for sale, see it was never about the price and I'm flexible on that price even but more about knowing how guys are on these forums geez. I wonder if people are biting there tongues calling me slick salesman etc etc
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Not my cup of tea. I don't think you will get much action on this site for that car. I just sold a 65 Caddy Convert through a car broker in Chicago. He got me 35% more than I had offered it to two people. Get a broker involved and give him his ten percent. Wash your hands of it and plus you don't have to listen to all the attendant BS that goes along with selling a car. Good luck with the sale!
Jamesbo, I agree. Lambo doors would be a perfect fit on this car. I laughed out loud when I read that!
ya I think I will. one very known by my area called kassabians I know the guys and they know me : )
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Registered Luser

Well, that price seems fair to me! The labor alone is close to the price.....
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Well, that price seems fair to me! The labor alone is close to the price.....
thanks!
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

$70,000 doesn't seem like a bad price for the car, as described.

The asking price of $69,995 is even better!

I hope you can sell it quickly and move on with your plans.

- Eric
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
eds

Couple of thoughts:

First, looks like a hell of a lotta car for $70k. Someone with the bucks will be very happy.

Second, I didn't really think the back-and-forth here was all that heated. Seems like the anonymity on the net brings out the jerk in a lot of people. But all we had here was people offering their opinions. I've learned some time ago that on the net it is generally useless to try to engage and reason with folk with whom you disagree. And the back-and-forth on these forums is pretty darned mild compare to so many other message boards.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone clearly win an on-line pi$$ing contest, so in most cases, I feel the best policy is to simply ignore things you disagree with, or posts you consider unfair or unkind. Just about the only other option is to stay off the web. Because it seems nearly 100% of the time, no matter how mild of an opinion you express online, some jerk is going to post something seemingly intended to tick you off.

Best of luck with the sale. And thanks for sharing your car with us!
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM

thank you. I kept telling people on the forum that although I do have a ton of money invested I would let it go for a reasonable price I'm glad you guys feel its a good deal.

mdchanic Eric
eds
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by eds

second, i didn't really think the back-and-forth here was all that heated. Seems like the anonymity on the net brings out the jerk in a lot of people. But all we had here was people offering their opinions. I've learned some time ago that on the net it is generally useless to try to engage and reason with folk with whom you disagree. And the back-and-forth on these forums is pretty darned mild compare to so many other message boards.
x2
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
Relax, 455monster, and have some fun for once. Remember, it's about your car, not about you. Good luck!
I have to agree with Diego...
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Butkusfan
I have to agree with Diego...
I'm still trying to figure out what part of this is suppose to be fun ??? SMH
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM

long time ago I red once in similar heated forum discussion "opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one" that being said did you consider making it a manual car? its my dream one day to see my 72 cutlass as a 4 spd w a muncie!
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM

I took it to mean we were just enjoying the "back-n-forth", nothing personal.
On a personal note, I am really jealous that you are in the position to buy a Gallardo!
Congrats!
Mike
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM

On a personal note, I am really jealous that you are in the position to buy a Gallardo!
Congrats!
Mike
lol... thanks
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Congrats!
Mike
I was desperate to own a car with a 4 speed but I can tell you my 69 camaro had a 396 L78 with a 4 speed Muncie m22 rock crusher in it and I am not a fan brother but they look cool as ish jmo. If I ever go manual I would do a new 5 or 6 speed. I have owned a lot of olds my first at 15 1971 cutlass supreme, had a 72cutlass S holiday coupe etc. I've loved the A-Body for its comfort smooth cruise and overall appearance. I didn't want to deal with the headache of shifting etc etc however it Is a dual gate hurst same reason I kept it very streetable at 575hp/6+ torque and decent gears. I'm sure I could have made it 650-700 Hp I actually thought about it but my buddy junior from mondello talked me out of it and I'm glad he did. this car cruises like a daily driver however when u open it up it is one wild machine. I raced a 2005 911 turbo with my lady coming back from an outing his face was priceless when I pulled on him and he couldn't pass lol he got so pissed he went left into on coming after I slowed down and he passed me lol

Last edited by 455monster; December 31st, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM

I would definitely say Barrett Jackson - I have some very wealthy customers that look forward to these auctions - and they really do not know where to look for a car such as yours . Good luck with the sale !
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barry Jones
I would definitely say Barrett Jackson - I have some very wealthy customers that look forward to these auctions - and they really do not know where to look for a car such as yours . Good luck with the sale !
thank you
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Diego
Relax, 455monster, and have some fun for once. Remember, it's about your car, not about you. Good luck!
The car looks great bud!! Did the 22 x11's fit or did you have to modify things?
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 72Beast
The car looks great bud!! Did the 22 x11's fit or did you have to modify things?
3 piece wheels precise measurements fits with no rub at all
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Just saw this thread..beautiful car, probably worth every penny..there's room for every Olds enthusiast here.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Just saw this thread..beautiful car, probably worth every penny..there's room for every Olds enthusiast here.
amen!
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

You're taking a hit of over $30,000 for this car! What in the world do you do for a living? And how can I get in on it?

Good luck with your sale. I agree with some of both sides of this "argument", but I'm a newbie here so I keep my mouth shut and my eyes open.

Last edited by molasses4masses; January 9th, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:39 AM

3 piece wheels precise measurements fits with no rub at all
Do you know what the offset is? And if I missed it what's the rear tire size? Trying to do American racing Nova's 22x11 in the rear on a 72 Cutlass if anyone has ever used or seen this size on this wheel fit, let me know thanks.

Last edited by 72Beast; January 10th, 2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Mr. Johnson

Wow and I want to build a 68-72 Cutlass on a 4x4 frame with some big *** tires. I'm talking front bumper at the hip! I'll be sure never to post about it or foresee my house being burnt to the ground. Won't be able to sell my "one of a kind either" in fear of whats happened today
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Didn't this car sell about a year or so ago?
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Didn't this car sell about a year or so ago?
Thats what I thought, super old thread. I may be imagining things, but I think I do recall seeing it on CL recently.
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:34 PM
"me somebody" site member

Exquisite car. Best of luck with the sale.
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Hey 455,

Maybe we can do a partial trade? Just throwing it out there You have a really beautiful car, man! Good luck!
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:16 AM

I also think it would do well at barrett. I say this because: I go there often and a car in particular that stands out to me was a blue (from some new car) with white striped 442 convertible. It was a 70-72. Had an olds motor in it at least and was heavily modified. even had a custom fiberglass console. Not my bag but I do like pro tour cars as I have built a non olds malibu myself. Anyway the car went for around the $150k mark!!! blew me away and if he had a shop do it by the hour I can totally understand the investment. I will say as I am a correct nut and bolt kind of guy ,but it is fun to build a car where the right finish, paint daub or exhaust hanger is not needed. and when i took everyone for a ride in my malibu they were blown away.These type of cars with big brakes, big hp and cornering like a sports car make the stock originals look silly. There is room in this world for both but once it goes a bit custom it takes alot of lookers out of the pool of potential buyers. I do like you kept the interior mainly stock. Good luck and tell people to go and try to build one for 60k if you cant do any work yourself. I like the tuck of the wheels and how they show off those brakes! By the way I sold this car for only a small profit and I did all the work myself so i feel your pain with not getting back the investment. If its not stock it gets a little harder.65malibu027.jpg