Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

66 Olds 442 Hardtop Project car # match

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM

66 Olds 442 Hardtop Project car # match

1966 Olds 442 Hardtop, this car is a rather high option car. It has had allot of work done towards a full restoration. The body was removed from the frame and it was completely disassembled and the entire body and body parts was dipped to removed any rust, paint and body filler. All disassembly was documented by hundreds of pictures. THey are on a disc that will go to who ever buys the car. Original options include: AC, power steering, power brakes, bucket seats, floor shift automatic, console, vacumm gauge, power windows, power antenna, 3:23 positraction rearend, tinted glass, and some I am sure I am forgetting. There is lots of parts in boxes and bags. tagged and labled. The frame was also disassembled, blasted and then primed and painted. The rearend was rebuilt and reinstalled with new bushings in the rear boxed control arms and sway bar, the front suspension has been all cleaned painted and reinstalled with new bushings, tie rods, ball joints and a rebuilt steering gear. The body has been cleaned after being dipped and was put in sealer inside and out. The car has been reassembled for transporting. No body work has been done since being dipped. (so you get an honest body no filler) It does have some places that need rust type repair. This car is from Oregon not where salt or other corrosive substances were used. The trunk floor needs replaced, not the drop offs or support structures, the seal lip is bad around the trunk opening but, a complete replacement set is included and has also been dipped, the back glass lower section and area between the trunk opening and back glass also has rust, a new replacement section is included for this area also. the rockers are solid, the wheel wells are solid, the quarters have some pin holes and the front fenders have a few pin holes also. The floors need to have new pans installed, the structure areas are good. The front fenders are original 66 442 fenders with the correct vents, the hood has a little front lip repair needed. it is an original 66 442 hood. not a Cutlass or F-85 hood with holes filled. both bumpers are very good cores but need rechorming. The car was originally Provincial white with Red interior, Interior includes a set of seats, buckets for front. Console is in decent condition, (needs restored) floor shift steering column has been hooked up so it will steer. Door panels are in place, The power window regulators are all included. The trunk is now full of body trim parts and brackets and parts off of the car. Bumpers and gas tank have been installed just for transporting. All glass is good and original tinted glass except there is no windowshield. Car rolls and steers but brakes are not installed. comes with just wheels and tires that hold air. two original type rally 1 wheels and two 70-72 rally 1 wheels are included. the original E block 400 has been bolted in. It has not been started since 1985 when the car was parked. There is a correct type of super turbine 300 trans bolted to the motor and in the car. I have driven the car that trans came out of and it works good. Needless to say this is a project car. Over $2200 was spent just getting the body dipped. Email any questions, or call only between 8 am and 8 pm west coast time lemoldsnut@aol.com 541-279-4363 Thanks Larry having issues trying to upload photos. can email them have hundreds so if you are serious about it let me know what you would like to see in pictures. $4500 firm on price. I can part it for much more. I will post a photobucket on Friday of this car.

Last edited by lemoldsnut; November 1st, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
"Car"mudgeon

What numbers match what on a '66 Olds? I assume you have the protect-o-plate??
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
What numbers match what on a '66 Olds? I assume you have the protect-o-plate??
Beat me to it...

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
...There is a correct type of super turbine 300 trans bolted to the motor and in the car. I have driven the car that trans came out of and it works good...
Not trying to be a complete @$$ here, but if the trans isn't original, how do the numbers "match"? "Numbers matching" is SUPPOSED to mean that the components on the car (engine, trans, etc) are the ones installed on the assembly line. Where the manufacturer used VIN derivatives or otherwise keyed the unit numbers to the VIN (as Olds did with the Protect-O-Plate) then these numbers do, in fact, actually match something. Simply having a correct type of transmission is neither original nor numbers matching. Sorry, but this is one of the most mis-used terms by sellers.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM

Smile Numbers clarification

The great part about posting a listing on an Olds Forum site is there are people there that are interested in Oldsmobiles. The down part is there is so many know it alls.
To be clear for you who have asked. In 66 you can not say a car is VIN Numbers match. That is not possible. We who know these cars know that. So, when you say numbers match. It has a loose meaning. I know that as well as you guys do. So, to be very clear, This car has the original motor. It is the correct E casting date coded motor with the correct B casting V production stamp heads. It has the correct casting date code intake. The trans is not numbers exact. I did state it is a correct trans but it did not come out of this car it came out of another one I had, I did drive it and test it so that is what it is. The rearend is the correct original 3:23 positraction rearend. When the body was dipped the cowl tag had to be removed to not have it eatten up in the dip. I do have it. I have pictures of it and the car prior to the dipping and after.
The car also has a clean and clear Oregon title. That is what the car is and has. I do welcome all questions. Thanks to all that have posted so far. The cool part about this car is the picture documentation and that it is such a high option car. No many power window, AC, Posi, bucket seat console cars out there. I do have a rust free body sheel that could be sold with it if someone wanted to make a package deal. Thanks

Last edited by lemoldsnut; November 2nd, 2012 at 04:52 AM.