Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'73 Delta 88 convertible barn find

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:14 AM

'73 Delta 88 convertible barn find

At least, according to the seller, it's a barn find. It looks it, but it looks to be a solid core that could be made nice. There is that slight sag, though, on the left side of the rear bumper. Wonder what that's about. Not sure why the decorative trim strips on the insides of the doors would be missing and why two of the power window switches are pulled out and dangling. I'm guessing those trim strips had to be removed to remove the door and rear panels to get at the switches? Something's going on there.

Still, someone needs to buy and resurrect this car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELTA...orcev4exp=true
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He's way high at $2,000 for a non-running '73 with a big hole in the roof (and non-functioning top motor, otherwise he would have put the top down to hide the hole), bad paint (look like an old, low-grade repaint, plus the original was not color-coat/clear-coat), destroyed rubber seals, possibly crappy interior (sure, it'll clean right up...) and bad tires.

Hope he has the sense to drop his price rather than let it sit for years till he "gets what it's worth."

- Eric
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
Registered Luser

Was a brand new, installed top when parked! But weather has taken its toll! Why feel the need to mention that in the ad? New plugs and oil change before it was parked?! Another useless piece of info to add....like saying, "this house was brand new when it was built, but very old and needs work now" ......
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ent72olds
...like saying, "this house was brand new when it was built, but very old and needs work now" ......
Exactly.

It's a wreck that hasn't run in thirty years.

Notice that he says it was in good shape when parked in 1993, but the registration he posted is from 1983.

- Eric
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't know guys.

Like Jaunty, I'm seeing a car that has a lot of potential. All the issues we're delving into are just speculation and need to be addressed by the seller for clarification. Jaunty, all the side trim appears to be missing. Don't need to pull it to remove the side panels - the screws are there to hold the metal trim to the panel. It looks more like someone just decided to peel all the wood-grain trim for some unknown reason? I agree it's weird, but maybe there was some motive behind it??

From what I see, the body looks solid, interior appears very intact and complete. Dash has a couple of cracks that could probably be fixed fairly easily. He says the motor turns over with with a breaker bar so its likely not seized. I agree it would be better to try firing it to see if it will run or has issues, but I don't think it's fair to say it's non running or power top motor doesn't work based on what's said or not said in the ad. If the seller didn't crank the engine there's a good chance the car doesn't have a good battery in it. I don't think he's trying to misrepresent the hole in the roof. There are lots of 'what ifs' that could be brought up that would be best addressed to the seller as legit questions by an interested bidder.

For the most part the only issue appears to be what the price point would be. Jaunty - you have a good handle on that - what would be your opinion of this cars $$? You have a 73 CC so you also know the general layout of this Royale and it's options too.

BTW Eric, the car may have been repainted with BC/CC at some time if it was in service from 1973 to 1993. The seller doesn't state it's original paint.

Looked up Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Wonder if the car has the CA emissions on it?
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
...I'm seeing a car that has a lot of potential.
Sure. But it has to be assumed to be a total restore. For that car, his price is too high.

I don't think it's fair to say it's non running or power top motor doesn't work based on what's said or not said in the ad.
You have to assume that any non-running car is not running because of a major problem. You may get lucky, but you can't assume you will.
In this case, there is no question that he could sell the car for a lot more if he just got it running. Considering that he's saying that it was put away properly 30 years ago, it should be no problem, and minimally expensive, to get it running again. The fact that he hasn't should be assumed to speak volumes unless proven otherwise.

(and, yes, I know I just used that word four times )

- Eric
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ha, good catch. I was going to say something about your counting skills. But in this case I think it's safe to assume nothing. There, how's that? I only used it once!

You know you want a car like this! Even if you have to rebuild the 455? At least it will have a real motor. And the best part is you can paint it whatever shade of pink you want
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:36 AM

It all depends how "bad" one wants.a Delta convertible. They are all money pits. Good luck. Ken
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I know what you mean about money pits. But really, isn't just about every project? As far as the 73 Delta though, I don't believe the majority of them had the 455? This would be a really nice cruiser when all fixed up. I would love that car for a project, if the $$ was right. (I have to factor in about 1500+ for shipping to here) Wouldn't have any place to put it - that's the biggest problem. Hmm, maybe I could store it at John's place in OR for a while......
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:53 AM

Jaunty - you have a good handle on that - what would be your opinion of this cars $$?
I'm with Allan on this. I see the glass as half full here. Yes, the car has issues, but from what we see and from the description, I think it's likely to be solid underneath.

These convertibles don't grow on trees, so anytime one is saved instead of being sent to the crusher, that's a positive. Second-best would be to part it out and let it help save others like it.

As far as value, it's interesting that the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a #5 condition (non-running but restorable--better than a parts car) '73 Delta 88 convertible at $1,920, which is pretty much right on the seller's starting price.

Collector Car Market Review disagrees, putting the value at $900.

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/.../73olde88.html

If the seller would stick a battery in it, change the oil, and do a few other things, he might be able to get it running. According to both the OCPG and CCMR, that would raise its value to the $2,800 to $3,000 range. I think if you could get it for close to the seller's starting price, you will have done all right.

Kennybill says these are "all money pits." So what collector car isn't? It isn't about the money. Restoring something like this is what you spend half a lifetime doing if you want. The journey is the fun. Get it at least running and with a new top, and you can drive it while you're working on it.

If I didn't already have two old cars with one undergoing a repaint right now, I'd be at least mildly interested in this one. Of the '71-'76 era of full-size Oldsmobiles, I've always thought the front end of the '73s was the most attractive. It's less blocky and squared-off.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Registered Luser

I do agree that the car is "intrigue"-ing! The price isnt terrible for a rot free vert! As mentioned, the 455 probably is a little seen option add-on, as they probably mostly (doesn't sound grammaticly(sp) correct) came with 350's! I'm guessing he probably pulled the rear panels incorrectly, trying to figure out why the top wouldn't operate....
Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:38 AM

What I meant was any project car will be a "money pit." So now it's "how bad does one want a Delta convertible?" Believe me, I know about "money pits." My cars were all project cars and being mostly the "big girls," not a lot of value. I like them because thier different. They made so many of these big ones but there are so few left. If I was looking for a Delta convertible I would pay $2000 for that car. Probably in better shape than any of the starting shape of my cars. One could part it out, then scrap what is left for $500. I hope someone buys it to fix up. I don't say "restore" because to me thats show stuff. My cars are just fixed-up drivers. Good luck, Ken
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No bids at $1,950. Auction ended.

If he started $1,000 lower, he'd have a shot.

- Eric
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:52 AM

That link shows that the auction is still active and ends on the 28th. Did he relist it?

Last edited by jaunty75; October 25th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That link shows that the auction is still active and ends on the28th. Did he relist it?
Crap - I thought it was showing as "Ended" on my watch list, but it was the next item down.

Duh.
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM

But your point still stands. The auction is now more than half over, and he has no bids. If it ends that way, that will tell him something. If it doesn't sell, it will be interesting to see if he relists it, and, if he does, at what price.
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Guys, I just sent him a message and asked if he could change oil, start the car and verify the power top works. I'll wait to hear back from him and post the response. I agree that the price may be high if it is in fact a non running car.
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Allan, are you really interested in the car? What if he does all those things, and then you say "never mind."
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, I was careful to explain that it would be a better selling point if he could actually say the engine ran and the power top had been tested and works. I didn't leave him anything misleading in the message. Just helpful info that might help with the sale. Since he has no bids, maybe he will consider them? Would I be interested in the car? Absolutely if I lived in the US. Shipping to my home in Canada would likely run close to 1500 - 2000.00 though. Like you, I would love to see this car saved instead of parted or crushed.
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:43 AM

Let us know if he responds!
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, I got the answer back. He's pretty open about the car. Here is his response
Thank your for your suggestion. I won't be able to attempt a start up until late Saturday. By that time the auction would have ended. If it doesn't sell I will repost. I thought a startup after 18 years required some safety steps. Did not want to damage the engine. The top does work tho. I did forget to mention that. Might need a little lube but it did fold back.

Thanks again.
Javier.
So for some folks, that's part of the questions answered. I agree it will be interesting to see what happens if he does end up re-posting. I will contact him back and suggest some steps for starting after so long. Although from the sounds of his initial comments the engine did turn with the breaker bar. I doubt anyone fogged the cylinders before the car was parked. I'm not that familiar with his local area climate. Is it subject to hot/cold that could create any issues in the cylinders?
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

His reply does make it sound better...

Thanks, Allan.

- Eric
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well folks, it sold for 25.00 more than he listed it for. So his price must have been ok. I guess the proof will be if the buyer shows up with cash in fist.
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Someone probably sniped it. Hope they get her some lovin! Ken
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM

That's exactly what happened, if you look at the bid history. There were no bids at all until the first one came in about a half-hour before the auction ended. The second and winning bid came in 9 seconds before the end of the auction.

In the end, if you're the seller, you don't care if it was sniped or not. All you care is that it sold. I've sold numerous things on ebay that saw heavy bidding towards the end with the price sometimes doubling or tripling in the last minute or half-minute as snipers desperately try to outsnipe each other. As a seller, all I can say is, "bring it on!"
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:33 PM

The buyer should have saved up a little more money and went to Mecum this weekend. Here's was $7500 would have gotten him:

Old October 30th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The buyer should have saved up a little more money and went to Mecum this weekend. Here's was $7500 would have gotten him
That's not a little more money, that's a LOT more money, as in almost four times as much.

But you are right in that, if he ever gets the one he bought to look like this one, he will certainly have spent more than $7500 on the car.

That's a '74, isn't it?
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That's not a little more money, that's a LOT more money, as in almost four times as much.

But you are right in that, if he ever gets the one he bought to look like this one, he will certainly have spent more than $7500 on the car.

That's a '74, isn't it?
It is a 74. You're absolutely right, it's a lot more but geez, $7500 for a clean convertible. You should see the pics of the interior. A little yellowed on the tops of the seat but not a rip or tear. I didn't see any rust in the rest of the exterior pics either

I don't know if you can see this without logging in:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...3&entryRow=751
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. $7,500 is a great price for that car in that condition.
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by allyolds68
$7500 for a clean convertible. You should see the pics of the interior. A little yellowed on the tops of the seat but not a rip or tear. I didn't see any rust in the rest of the exterior pics either

I don't know if you can see this without logging in:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...3&entryRow=751
Yes, it opens without logging in. It is indeed a beautiful car. I didn't know that the SSIV's were available for the 74 though. Thought that was a 71/72 option only. Doesn't really matter though when you're buying a beauty like this. Very well equipped too. Would be even better if it had a 455 though.
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:16 AM
Just A BaBy {:

well this makes me feel like i paid to much for a 79 hurst/olds that was siting in a barn for over 25 years, did not run but was super clean. paid 1950 an had to flat tow it home. but i have yet to come across one that clean in a long time for that kind of money so with that said the car is worth to the buyer as much is he is willing to pay for it.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by easytobedead
well this makes me feel like i paid to much for a 79 hurst/olds
Don't be too hard on yourself. You're pretty much comparing apples to oranges here.

The Old Cars Price Guide thinks you did all right. According to them, a '79 Hurst/Olds in restorable (#4) condition is worth about $2,400. If you paid $1,950, you came under that value at least.

Collector Car Market Review thinks even better of your deal, putting the value of a restorable '79 H/O at about $2,800.

Whatever you paid for it, though, is water over the embankment, as Batman used to say. It's yours now, so enjoy it!
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

well this makes me feel like i paid to much for a 79 hurst/olds that was siting in a barn for over 25 years, did not run but was super clean.
You saying that without showing us some pics is like smelling steak on the grill and having a locked gate to get in.... PICS please..
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Just A BaBy {:

CAM00231.jpg
CAM00229.jpg
CAM00227.jpg
CAM00224.jpg

this hole car sat for over 25 years, 123.xxx miles an no rust on its body.
very happy with it.
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:22 PM

You should be. It looks great, and you didn't overpay for it.
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That looks great! I've seen new 'driver' cars that looked a lot worse. Bet that with a new set of radials, steam clean and power polish you'd be out cruising. Love those polycast wheels - they appear to be in great shape. How's the frame and pans?
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:23 PM
Just A BaBy {:

That looks great! I've seen new 'driver' cars that looked a lot worse. Bet that with a new set of radials, steam clean and power polish you'd be out cruising. Love those polycast wheels - they appear to be in great shape. How's the frame and pans?
every thing underneath is great, looks like it rolled off the show room floor
the only rust was was on the rear rails an that was just just starting to rust, its a solid car underneath. i was shocked when i looked under her.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Registered Luser

Looks to be very nice at that price!
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

this hole car sat for over 25 years, 123.xxx miles an no rust on its body.
very happy with it.
He shoots! He scores!.........nice !....and I agree, you did not overpay for it
well worth the money
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM

While we're talking 79 H/O's someone should buy this quick, $3000

This is a DEAL:

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76430

0614081523a.jpg

Quick Reply: '73 Delta 88 convertible barn find