Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1964 f85 468/400 17402 $3800.00

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 04:11 AM

1964 f85 468/400 17402 $3800.00

Up for sale is a 1964 Olds F-85 4 door sedan. The car was originally a 330 small block with 2 speed transmission and power drum brakes. This had been replaced with a 455 Olds big block, bored oversize to 468 cubes. New fuel and water pumps. The motor has all Mondello internals and has less than 2000 miles on since it was rebuilt. The heads are reworked J castings completely redone as well. The heads are equipped with Mondello adjustable roller rockers. The cam is a Mondello JM 28-29 featuring the following specs;

.544 lift Intake and Exhaust (I / E)
246 / 257 degrees duration at .050"
108 degrees LSA
292 / 300 degrees advertised duration
Power range 3200 to 6800 rpm

A vacuum reserve tank was needed to supply the power brakes with boost. I installed a torque limiting chain to keep from ripping the new motor mounts apart.

It has a Edelbrock Performer Intake and a modded 800 cfm quadrajet carb.
It has a brand new HEI distributor with adjustable advance can, new plugs and new wire set
The engine has oil restrictors installed to allow 5000+ rpm operation without sucking the oil pan dry at high rpm's
The engine was built and designed to run on pump gas, High test runs fine in it...

No fancy chrome valve covers ... built to look completely stock.. Aftermarket aluminium intake painted factory colors.

The idea here is "Stealth"... Tho the big cam idle gives things away..

The last car this engine was installed in was similar in both weight and gearing and ran a 12.2 sec quarter mile.

The exhaust starts with a set of Hooker Super Comp headers and goes out the back bumper thru a brand new mandrel bent 2 ½ " dual system thru large core turbo mufflers from Summit Racing.

A brand new old school brass and copper 3 row radiator and thin rad mounted electric fan cools the beast. A larger radiator was installed than stock, to cool the much larger motor.

The transmission is a Turbo 400 which was also completely redone at the same time as the motor. All heavy duty internals/clutches were used and it has a 2800 rpm stall converter. A shift kit was also added during the rebuild. I added a large external trans cooler up front as well. There is almost $1000 in the trans with the cost of the rebuild parts, high stall converter and labour.

The rear end is a rare GTO 8.2 Nodular reinforced case 3.36 posi rear. Casting number 9795084, Axle stamp code "XG". (This rear is worth about $1000 by itself to a GTO purist..) I can send more pix on request. The car has black steel wheels all round and the tires are good. I've updated the rear with a custom mounted rear sway bar. This really cleared up the body roll it had, as cars this old routinely did not come with sway bars.

I just added a modern steering box last week with a box with only 3 ¼ turns lock to lock. Quite an improvement over the stock box, which must have had at least 5 or more turns to stops.

The body is in very good shape for age and there are a few small spots of rust I fixed. The rust underneath is minimal considering the age of the car. The title does show around 92,000 miles original on it, when I bought the car. The doors open and close effortlessly with zero sag. . . and judging by the rest of the car I think this is the actual mileage. A pair of late 80's matching color tan bucket seats from a Jaguar were installed in place of the stock bench seat. The style of these seats fit right in and doesn't look out of place in the 64 body. The door panels are almost mint and I've recovered the armrests and added new carpet sections to the bottom of the doors. The headliner is in good condition and intact. A steering column mounted tacho, a dash clock and both oil pressure and temp gauges round out instrumentation. The car has the uncommon 2 speed wipers too. The car retains it's stock AM in dash radio, but an FM converter was hidden inside the glove box. A factory style rear window defogger was added as well. I left the column shifter in place to add to the stealth. The body itself is very straight and is just about ready for paint.

My original intention was to recreate a sort of factory style super stock car with the early/mid sixties vibe. . . however it would make a sweet rat rod too. . . I removed the inboard high beam headlamps and added "ram air" intake screens there to add to the "look", but I do have the parts in a box that goes with the car, should you want to return it to stock.

*** I just painted the car a few days ago with black epoxy primer for the popular "Rat Rod" look. I also painted the rims red and added a thin red pinstripe down the centre of the trim to pick up the red in the rims.. Very sharp!! Since this is epoxy primer, one could scuff sand and shoot the car the colour of their choice, should they not like the black... ****

The real jewels of this car are the motor and transmission. . . This motor and trans combo would be killer in a smaller g body cutlass for example. I'm selling the car for less than what the power train alone is worth. ( Currently, the 454 "HO" Chevy engine from Summit Racing is $5800 by itself. . .) The car is currently inspected and I've had it to a few car shows this year. A great and unusual cruiser. . ..

The"bad"... [If you really want to call it that.]. ... It is a 1964 body and chassis... It's an old car... As one would expect from a car this old, there is some rust in the usual spots. The amount of rust in this car is surprisingly low for the year... It rides nice, but it's not a Cadillac... It has 4 drum brakes... It has the typical old car squeaks and rattles... it's part of the charm of the old car... It has a few cracks in the original steering wheel.. It has the original AM radio and the original style single mount centre speaker... some folks may complain about that.. but at least the dash is uncut and unmolested.. The exhaust pipe rattles/buzzes a bit at the rear passenger tailpipe.. the summit universal dual exhaust kit is not a 100 % perfect fit, though close. There is some corrosion around the rear window trim and the door seals aren't perfect.. There were a few patches I put on the trunk floor...It could use a new carpet set... the rear pass side axle seal needs replaced.. but it's a 64.... It is what it is... These minor things can easily be addressed but otherwise this car is a driver not a show car. It was built with nostalgia in mind and for straight line acceleration...

Asking $3800.00

The whole build can be seen here on the forum.. here;

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...resto-mod.html

Any questions should be directed to my regular email.. Judderman65@hotmail.com

The car is located in area code 17402, York Pennsylvania and can be seen and driven by appointment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds 1.JPG (118.4 KB, 58 views)
Olds 2.JPG (120.5 KB, 52 views)
Olds 3.JPG (81.5 KB, 48 views)
SAM_0023.JPG (213.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by 1964F85; June 24th, 2012 at 04:13 AM.