Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Thor's 72 Cutty S

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Thor HoG

Thor's 72 Cutty S

Sorry for the cross post, but I wanted to get this out there:

Hey guys, I'm glad I saw this thread. I purchased my Cutty about 8 months back for 9k ("appraised" at 13k). It was in great condition. Since then I've put about 5k into it, including 3" hooker headers with new exhaust and dual Flomaster 40's. New springs in the back, new shocks, new bushings in the stearing arms, electronic ignition, etc.

I've only put 23 miles on it since then. I know this is a specialty market, but as it turns out, I obviously don't drive it as I thought I would. I'd like to get at least 12k out of it, but I'm not sure how to go about that. Using the link I saw about, it nets out at about 16k.

Here's the thing - I know people are "purists" about their Cutty's - but I was not comfortable with the old analog instruments... There was no alternator indication or oil pressure other than the "oh crap!" lights, no RPM, and no temp. I installed all new digital senders and a control unit to drive new digital display instrument panels, which were built to perfectly fit into the old instrument panels. You can't really tell the difference until you crank 'er up and see an (awesome) digital display (complete with dimmer I put where the cigarette lighter used to be.

It's a simply beautiful car, but I would like some honest guidance on how to go about selling her. Part of me just wants to get 10k out of it an move on (i've got a new baby, so I won't be working on it anytime soon) but part of me wants to hold out for the right buyer who will appreciate the car.

What do you guys think? Honestly, I totally suck at selling cars, and would rather have a tetnus shot than stand around with people kicking tires telling "back seat drive-in" stories.

Any guidance here?
t
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Thor,

There is several ways you can sell your car, first get some good pics, inside and out highlighting your car's best attributes. Detail everthing you've put into it, upgrades etc... Then post it on here in the cars for sale section. Also, you can post it on Craigs list and flebay. You can also post it in your local newspaper and or Greensheets. Be prepared, there will be people who will waste your time but vette them carefully on the phone or via email.. You can kinda tell if somone is really serious or just tring to waste your time....Good Luck..
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM

If it is a really solid, mostly unmolested car, I'd hold out for a nice price. Those kind of cars are really hard to find anymore. Most have been through many owners & have been hacked/wrecked/repainted or some combination of those. Take lots of pictures, inside the trunk, under the hood, door panel pix, dash pix, etc..
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thor HoG

Thanks guys - great information... The owner before me had it 10 years, and has every receipt for everything he did (as do I) and even *logged the trips* he took. He actually wants to *buy it back* if I can wait until November, which says a lot about the car (he was hurtin' for cash).
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM

whats a "cutty"
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Thor HoG

It's the first part of what you are drinking too much of.
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Thor HoG

OK, apparently my use of "Cutty" has caused confusion for those who don't remember their history.

The Cutty Sark was was one of the best built clipper ships there was. It was big, and beautiful. As such, the association of "Cutty" with "Cutlass" is entirely appropriate. If folks are unable or unwilling to make the connection, I do not believe chagrin lands on this side of the keyboard.

t
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

12k for a 72 cutlass isn't happening

not when Rallye 350's are 10k