Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968 Oldsmobile Hurst H/O Coupe "Factory Air"

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2012, 07:57 AM

1968 Oldsmobile Hurst H/O Coupe "Factory Air"

VIN: 344878M392095
Miles: 96,120
Offered at $149,900

Color: Peruvian Silver over Black
Engine: 455 V8
Transmission: Automatic

We are pleased to present this outstanding 1968 Hurst H/O Oldsmobile for consideration. George Hurst at this time had made a name for himself in the drag racing industry by not only engineering high performance components from shifters to transmissions to wheels, but also masterfully promoting and branding these products as Hurst. Hurst has such a good reputation that one of GM’s most conservative divisions, Oldsmobile, was the first to put the Hurst name on a production car. The 1968 Hurst Olds was different, elegant and aggressive. Most notable was the massive 455 CID big block engine. This was very significant as GM had a ban on all motors over 400 CID on being installed in a mid-size car. Hurst’s chief engineer Jack “Doc” Watson was the mastermind behind the development of the car. This was no small task as the production year was well on its way. Watson turned to Lansing industrialists John Demmer to provide the facility to which these cars would be built. Lansing sent 515 Cutlass bodies, all painted Pervuian Silver and outfitted with all the W30 options including the forced air induction, heavy duty radiator, heavy duty suspension, etc. to Demmer’s facility where “Doc” Watson and his staff went to work install the 455 cid power plant, dual gate shifter, stripe and emblem package, and the specially painted trunk lid so to deliver their product to the dealerships on time.

The 1968 Hurst Oldsmobile offered here is one of approximately 128 known to still exist, car number 84 of the 515 built. It has been the recipient of one high quality restoration on a rust free California car. Just out of a private collection, today, the car remains outstanding in every way. It retains its original, numbers matching motor and drive-train, original Hurst components, original sheet-metal. Mechanically, the car is turn-key and can be driven anywhere. Options include: Specially prepared 455 V8, turbo 400 transmission with Hurst Shift Kit, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Wood Steering Wheel, Factory Gauges, Factory A/C, Tinted Glass and 3.42 Posi rear end. This car is fully documented with its original build sheet, all California registrations from 1968 to 1996, its original California “black plate” and full owner history.

The 1968 Hurst Oldsmobile H/O is an important car, paving the way for big cubic inches finding their way into mid-sized, light weight cars. They were built where competition and creativity among company divisions was encouraged. “The Hurst Olds has all the characteristics of the finest super car, but without the objectionable noise and choppy ride”. George Hurst said this in their product announcement June 25, 1968. Through his promotional skills, these were cars that everyone knew about, but rarely were seen. The car offered here is an opportunity.

See more photos at http://www.grautogallery.com/details...SC&p=50&page=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6429.jpg (64.6 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by grautogallery; January 27th, 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: wrong year
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM
NôôB

Why spend/ask so much for a car to restore it and not put the correct wheels on? It seems like a hurry job to me, beautifully done but the rims are ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Those are hurst wheels. I might be wrong others can correct me but weren't they an option on hurst equipt cars. I know the gto guys run these alot and these wheels are very expensive from what i hear. I remember seeing a set of 4 for 1700 at the parts place inc.
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
NôôB

Are they really? ithought they were the rallye wheels like the one in the trunk came on them
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM

I know originally they came with rallyes. But when a dealer ad"s wheels even today it's rare to get a matching spare.
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM

those are Hurst rims that came on some of the GTO's. I think they look great but better on the goat.
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:38 PM

I like em i have always liked these wheels . Imo they beat the rallyes they look good. I doubt this was a dealer ad on but i think it fits the profile since it is a H/O .
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM

they are fugly
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Good luck. If it brings anywhere near the asking price it will be close to double what anyone has ever paid for one yet.

But hey, loook at the bright side, some nut just paid double what a 70 W30 auto convertible had ever brought too.

BTW...you probably should change the title of the thread to 68 instead of 69 if you still can. I see the subtitle is changed

Last edited by allyolds68; January 28th, 2012 at 05:34 AM.