Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

70 W30 project

Old January 21st, 2012, 06:06 AM

70 W30 project

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...item1c2305217f

Looking at this matching numbers project. what's a reasonable price?

Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:43 AM

that's a tough one. All the parts are there so realistically just in W30 parts its worth a good few grand. If he has the Broadcast card that helps - wonder what the other documentation is.

Would be cool to start off with a car that has yet to be touched. You should photograph everything, all he stamps the colors of all the parts - especially underneath. Interesting how the oil cap is not painted blue, some say it was, some folks say it wasn't.

He says it needs a quarter panel but doesn't show images of it. Basically it needs everything, does he still have the mirrors, those are now reproduced but original 70 only ones are expensive. 1970 Cruise control parts are nearly impossible to find, you don't need it but don't gloss over the fact that 70 only Cruise parts are brutal to find.

The hood does look great that's 2500 right there

What shape are the bumpers in? Is the dash good or "useable"? Where are the red inner fender wells? All questions to ask.

My thought is not worth much more than 5k-8k. But many folks will add the individual prices of the W parts up and ask more than that - that kills me. Wow I just looked at the price and its already at $7,100 with 5 days left. I bet it stalls under 10k unless someone really wants it. If you're looking for a project and not planning on flipping its worth more than that.
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM

Considering fully restored matching number cars are hiting 35 to 40K I wouild say this will sell for close to 20K in its current condition. I emailed the guy last night to see if he had a buy now price, and he said he is entertaining offers. Just look at the one that sold on ebay 2 weeks ago for 12K without and engine, transmission, and steering column. Although thise needs a lot of work, it is still a much better car.
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:59 AM

w30

This looks like a great start for someone. Looks very solid from the pictures. He says it was outside the whole time, so I would get good pictures of the frame, trunk floor, weatherstrip channels, and rear valance. Rear 1/4 could mean outer wheelhousings, trunk extensions, etc. Would like to see the key parts he says are there. Plus, obviously everything needs to be redone.
At the end of the day, all these cars need to be gone over with a fine tooth comb. The little stuff adds up faster then a fender or other parts.
For me.. it's an auto, has ac, too many options, aspen green, and just the question of "he might sell you the rear 1/4" means he's looking for an angle on everything. I prefer a no option 4 speed.. maybe black !
Although I have no issue with Apen green cars... I knew this one well, including the vintage Stones sticker in the window. I had this one for sale on the realoldspower board about 18 months ago. 19K, but nobody was interested..It wasn't finished at the time, but was freshly painted. I tried to tell everyone how nice it was, but people don't listen.
It's on the auction block today !!
http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...=FL0112-121312
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stones.jpg (61.1 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Vader; January 21st, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Vader
This looks like a great start for someone. Looks very solid from the pictures. He says it was outside the whole time, so I would get good pictures of the frame, trunk floor, weatherstrip channels, and rear valance. Rear 1/4 could mean outer wheelhousings, trunk extensions, etc. Would like to see the key parts he says are there. Plus, obviously everything needs to be redone.
At the end of the day, all these cars need to be gone over with a fine tooth comb. The little stuff adds up faster then a fender or other parts.
For me.. it's an auto, has ac, too many options, aspen green, and just the question of "he might sell you the rear 1/4" means he's looking for an angle on everything. I prefer a no option 4 speed.. maybe black !
Although I have no issue with Apen green cars... I knew this one well, including the vintage Stones sticker in the window. I had this one for sale on the realoldspower board about 18 months ago. 19K, but nobody was interested..It wasn't finished at the time, but was freshly painted. I tried to tell everyone how nice it was, but people don't listen.
Wow is your car nice! Looks like a STEAL at $19k....I sure wish it wasn't twice my budget. By the way, how do those auctions work? Is there a minimum starting bid and is that listed somewhere? The seller has the option to set a reserve, right?

The car on eBay looks like a great project for somebody that can do most of the work themselves. I think it would cost way too much to have it done considering that it looks like the sale price is going to be pretty high (over $10k already). Would be a great car for sure when restored. Too bad it was stored outside! I'll be watching that one to see what it goes for....seems like a very valuable car.
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:09 AM

Vadar, I notice it is another 455 with the windshield washer bottle on the driver's side. I see that often, my car is that way though the assembly manual states it should be switched to passenger side. Its definitely a nice car and was a value at 19k but in this economy not many are willing to pony up even for a deal.

I too would love a 4-speed post low option W30, but I would not kick any of them out of my garage

My car is the opposite, an overly optioned convertible, which makes little sense on a W30 but I like it, as rare as a low option car is a high option car is as well.
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM

Mecum car

Let me be clear.... the finished Aspen green car would be the biggest steal of a lifetime if it were 19K. Your kidding right.. BTW, the bottle was on the driver side, and the car was pulled from the original owner. Passenger side was never drilled, so that's how it came from the factory.
The car was painted and taken apart when I offered it for 19K. The guy who painted it said I had to do a frame off since it was soo nice. The paint is glass. I didn't want a frame off for that car. He bought it from me and finished it.. Hence, it's at auction today at Mecum..guess we'll see what it brings in this poor economy, but it should be at least mid 30's min, should do 55-60
I'm not sure where you guys find these under 10K w machines, but I've never seen an ad for one or one advertised on the boards. Maybe if you steal it from grandma or grampa down the street as we've heard.
But if you have one for sale.... I'm sure I can find 10K reeaalll fast.

That 19 keeps coming up. I sold this other 19/19 car for 19K as well.
Attached Images
Stones...jpg (39.2 KB, 42 views)
hubcapcar.JPG (43.3 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Vader; January 21st, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM

w30's

Originally Posted by Johnd
Considering fully restored matching number cars are hiting 35 to 40K I wouild say this will sell for close to 20K in its current condition. I emailed the guy last night to see if he had a buy now price, and he said he is entertaining offers. Just look at the one that sold on ebay 2 weeks ago for 12K without and engine, transmission, and steering column. Although thise needs a lot of work, it is still a much better car.
I'm still wondering where you guys are finding these cars,, unrestored for under 10K, and restored matching number cars for 35-40K.. really ??
Restored is a very broad term, and means nothing, but I don't think you could touch a documented "correctly" restored w30 for under 50K.
Just my opinion....
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Olds Nut

i too have it as a brother to my car
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Olds Nut

i purchased my 442 from the original owner for under $35k. And has original title,loan papers 2 build sheets, window sticker and photos of resto. But the resto was done in 92-93 with nos and no repo parts.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:53 AM

dead fish

Well, after several emails and phone calls, i've had no luck with the seller. I think he's just fishing. I mean, really, if you want to sell a car you should have time to return phone calls right? He has returned an email telling me he has 3 kids to take care of and doesn't have time to return every call that comes in. Seriously? What do you call a tire kicking seller? He has time to return emails but no time to return a phone call? I don't get it.

I'm going in a different direction so I wish everyone else the best if they are looking at this car. I don't think he's prepared to sell and he thinks no one's serious about buying. Well, I have cash... don't need to sell another car to raise the funds or ask mom or dad to co-sign a loan. As John Stossel would say..."give me a break"!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM

Let me be clear.... the finished Aspen green car would be the biggest steal of a lifetime if it were 19K. Your kidding right.. BTW, the bottle was on the driver side, and the car was pulled from the original owner. Passenger side was never drilled, so that's how it came from the factory.
The car was painted and taken apart when I offered it for 19K. The guy who painted it said I had to do a frame off since it was soo nice. The paint is glass. I didn't want a frame off for that car. He bought it from me and finished it.. Hence, it's at auction today at Mecum..guess we'll see what it brings in this poor economy, but it should be at least mid 30's min, should do 55-60
I'm not sure where you guys find these under 10K w machines, but I've never seen an ad for one or one advertised on the boards. Maybe if you steal it from grandma or grampa down the street as we've heard.
But if you have one for sale.... I'm sure I can find 10K reeaalll fast.

That 19 keeps coming up. I sold this other 19/19 car for 19K as well.
I remember seeing this green car restored somewhere for sale. I could have swore it was more in the $35-50k range. WAY WAY too nice of a car to be only worth 30k now?? Or even 19k when painted?Car looks nicer that 1/2 the crap I just saw at BJ days ago.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by bondovian
Well, after several emails and phone calls, i've had no luck with the seller. I think he's just fishing. I mean, really, if you want to sell a car you should have time to return phone calls right? He has returned an email telling me he has 3 kids to take care of and doesn't have time to return every call that comes in. Seriously? What do you call a tire kicking seller? He has time to return emails but no time to return a phone call? I don't get it.

I'm going in a different direction so I wish everyone else the best if they are looking at this car. I don't think he's prepared to sell and he thinks no one's serious about buying. Well, I have cash... don't need to sell another car to raise the funds or ask mom or dad to co-sign a loan. As John Stossel would say..."give me a break"!
I made a very similar post recently in another thread. I've been looking aggessively for about 6 months now and many seller's act like your bothering them when you ask for information! Man does it get frustrating!! I've been told more than once to "call back later, I'm busy". It's like pulling teeth to get information with some of these people....I feel your pain.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM

w-30

Originally Posted by 79MKII
I made a very similar post recently in another thread. I've been looking aggessively for about 6 months now and many seller's act like your bothering them when you ask for information! Man does it get frustrating!! I've been told more than once to "call back later, I'm busy". It's like pulling teeth to get information with some of these people....I feel your pain.

anybody remember the light gold 455- 70 vista in rapid city on ebay and c/l, awhile ago, ask 70 vista what happened? i have a friend that lives in rapid city, not a big town if you know what i mean. she says he has alot of pontiac and olds stuff. looks like he has a new start on ebay, under a new account

just a fair warning to all. looks like a nice start. good luck
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:38 PM

I feel your pain. I have been looking for a 70 442, 70 442 convertible, pace car, or rallye 350 to restore, and there isn't much out there. Either they have been restored poorly or the person wants more than its worth restored. Thanks to a few good people on this board I have some leads.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:41 PM

I'll try to watch the auction...I think it's this Saturday the 28th, not yesterday:
Kissimmee, FL Auction
January 24-29, 2012
This Lot scheduled to be sold SAT 8:50PM
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM

funny

wow, look what was conveniently left out of the first pictures !
wonder what other surprises he has in store..
Attached Images
rear 1:4.jpg (250.3 KB, 65 views)
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:26 PM

he said "needs a qtr panel" but he did leave the image off, I'm amazed at how well people hide issues even with a camera,
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM

w30

"Needs a rear 1/4"..I'm thinking rusy, not accident damage and questionable frame, trunk, etc.... It will need more then just the rear 1/4. I would like to see the inside of the trunk, the valance is probably crushed, decklid ? etc.
Whoops, he didn't include the picture inside the trunk on that side. But hey the other side looks great ! just don't look at the bad side.
Must have been an oversite !
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:50 AM

Wow

Now I see why he had no pictures of the rear. I wonder what else is wrong that he's not showing. Why can't sellers be honest about their car? Why try to mislead people? they will request pictures at some point and ask a lot of questions so... come on. Stop wasting their time and be upfront with all the details. Looks like he has several other Items for sale. Has anyone had any dealings with this guy? Buyer beware!!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:51 AM

The unfortunate part is you can no longer get a full quarter for this car, and the outer 80% skin wont fix the top. Although he advertises a quarter from NM, there is no telling how much he will charge for it.. I'll be interested to see if any of the current bidders pull out.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:04 AM
MOTORHEAD

yikes

He sure hid the 1/4 damage in the early pictures! Makes me wonder what else is wrong with the car!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:13 AM

reserve

He said he reserves the right to end the auction at any time? Well, how about buyers reserve the right to pull their bid at any time.... Plus i think his reserve is somewhere around $20k. Come on!

Looks like he just ended the auction early! I bet he was getting a lot of angry bidder in his ear.

Last edited by bondovian; January 23rd, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:19 AM

It wouldn't have been bad if someone could get a quarter
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Sold for $55k
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Sold for $55k
Man, and we could have had it for $19k....
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Lucky guess..