Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1973 Delta 88 - Decent and low miles.

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM

1973 Delta 88 - Decent and low miles.

Here is a pretty decent 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88. It’s a “Plain Jane” in that it doesn’t have AC or an AM/FM radio or any other options.
The mileage is accurate at the 32k miles. The exterior shows some surface rust which I believe was due to it being stored in a limestone mine in PA for 10 years by the previous owner. However, except for one place near the back window (under the window under the narrow strip of vinyl) I believe there is no actual rust through. That place mentioned by the back window, I have seen another Delta with a similar issue which was actually rusted through.
As seen in the video the Delta starts right up. I idles fast for about 5-10 minutes then after a quick push on the gas it kicks down.
I have a lot more pictures – just respond (send me a PM with your email) to this ad and I can send them to you.

The Delta is located in North Central Ohio.

Here is the “Cold start” video: http://youtu.be/-ock18DV1dQ

Asking price is $3900 *OBO*.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Delta 88 038.jpg (80.4 KB, 43 views)
Delta 88 037.jpg (95.6 KB, 64 views)
Delta 88 036.jpg (87.3 KB, 46 views)
Delta 88 035.jpg (76.4 KB, 49 views)
Delta 88 001.jpg (98.5 KB, 44 views)
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM

I forgot to add that it's the 350 2bbl option and the tires have over 3/4 of tread left.

Still decent with low miles AND a newer LOWER price:

$3600 OBO
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Love your video!

I especially like how you start out inside your house and take us down the walk to the car.

A few comments about the car:

1. My biggest concern would be the water leak onto the passenger side floor. That suggests possible rust-through in the metal surrounding the windshield on that side. It might also just be blocked water drains in the cowl. You might check for build-up of leaves, twigs, etc. I don't know. But a water leak there is usually a bad sign. I think before anyone spends $3600 on this car, they would want to know why it's leaking and whether it's a 10-minute, zero-dollar fix or a 100-hour, $1000 fix.

2. The dash lights might just be a blown fuse. Have you checked for that? I like your LEDs. Very Red Green of you. It's obvious your cigarette lighter works, so that's at least one fuse that's not blow.

3. What about the exterior lights? Do the headlights, taillights, turn signals, etc. work? I assuming they do, or you would have said they didn't. But a problem with the headlight switch could also lead to the dash lights not working.

4. I've never seen one of these without A/C. That is a very bare-bones car. The AM radio not working could also be a blown fuse. If you haven't, you might get down under there and take a good look at the fuse panel.

5. You say the clock doesn't work, either. Is it because it gets no power, or because the clock itself failed? If it's the former, that's another possible blown fuse.

6. The blower motor speed problem looks to be in the switch itself since you can fiddle with it to get it to work. Perhaps some good contact cleaning? The problem is getting AT the blower switch and headlight switch. It's really not that difficult, and taking the dash apart there gives you access to both.

7. You're right, that engine sounds great.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 24th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Great car.
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Love your video!

I especially like how you start out inside your house and take us down the walk to the car.

A few comments about the car:

1. My biggest concern would be the water leak onto the passenger side floor. That suggests possible rust-through in the metal surrounding the windshield on that side. It might also just be blocked water drains in the cowl. You might check for build-up of leaves, twigs, etc. I don't know. But a water leak there is usually a bad sign. I think before anyone spends $3600 on this car, they would want to know why it's leaking and whether it's a 10-minute, zero-dollar fix or a 100-hour, $1000 fix.
The only possible rust spot like you describe that I've seen is along the rear window trim. Everything around the fan/motor area just has some light surface rust. I already sealed (Black RTV) one area around the fan box. I was going to try some more but the outside temps have gone downhill.

2. The dash lights might just be a blown fuse. Have you checked for that? I like your LEDs. Very Red Green of you. It's obvious your cigarette lighter works, so that's at least one fuse that's not blow.
Again, when it gets warmer I'll be checking this.

3. What about the exterior lights? Do the headlights, taillights, turn signals, etc. work? I assuming they do, or you would have said they didn't. But a problem with the headlight switch could also lead to the dash lights not working.
ALL exterior lights work! Even the side marker lights work

4. I've never seen one of these without A/C. That is a very bare-bones car. The AM radio not working could also be a blown fuse. If you haven't, you might get down under there and take a good look at the fuse panel.
One day I was sitting waiting to pick my son up from school when a Green with Cream vinyl 73 88 stopped behind me. The owner and I chatted for a few minutes and I found out he had an even MORE bare bones 88 - No radio. That panel was all wood, except for the lighter, vent and seat belt buzzer.

5. You say the clock doesn't work, either. Is it because it gets no power, or because the clock itself failed? If it's the former, that's another possible blown fuse.

6. The blower motor speed problem looks to be in the switch itself since you can fiddle with it to get it to work. Perhaps some good contact cleaning? The problem is getting AT the blower switch and headlight switch. It's really not that difficult, and taking the dash apart there gives you access to both.

7. You're right, that engine sounds great.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments! I love the car but I bought it on a whim and now it's gotta go
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Great car.
Ditto