Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

on ebay

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM

on ebay

Last shot for sale on Ebay, one day left.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item2eba7ad575
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Is that your car?
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Olds Dreamer

I got my drivers license in a car just like this. then my dad sold it to some kid that rolled it a month later. if i had the money i'd buy it.
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Is that your car?
mom's car. I have a real car... 70 442 convertible. Re-listed the ciera again on ebay today under cutlass
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:23 AM

Not that I'm actually able to buy it, but what are you looking for out of this car, if you don't mind the question? The high bid on the previous auction was about $700. Was that close, or was it still miles away?

Something that might help is a few more photos, including some of the engine, of which there are none.

The NADA site you quote shows an "average retail" value for this car of $2400, which is probably a pretty fair valuation. While the car may be rare, 1990 cars are not that old yet. It is high mileage, too, and that will also work against you to a certain extent.

But with what you have done to the car to bring up to its present condition, you ought to be able to get close to that $2400 for it.
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Not that I'm actually able to buy it, but what are you looking for out of this car, if you don't mind the question? The high bid on the previous auction was about $700. Was that close, or was it still miles away?

Something that might help is a few more photos, including some of the engine, of which there are none.

The NADA site you quote shows an "average retail" value for this car of $2400, which is probably a pretty fair valuation. While the car may be rare, 1990 cars are not that old yet. It is high mileage, too, and that will also work against you to a certain extent.

But with what you have done to the car to bring up to its present condition, you ought to be able to get close to that $2400 for it.
Actually the average is about $2880, you forgot the add on's at the bottom. The mileage is not high, it's actually low, approx. 6k per year. High mileage would have been 20k per year for a total of 420K miles, it now only has 138k for 21 years, how can that be high when you see 4 y/o cars with that kind of mileage? In the orig auction, it was a couple bucks shy of a grand. The last one it did 711, it's already up to 760 at the time of this reply.......still a long ways off from what she wants. Point is, timing is everything. As for the photo's, there is a link in the listing to where all those can be seen. In all actuality, if we found the right buyer, and it was on a lot somewhere, and the rust spot, hinge and whatever else might frost someones cake, repaired, the car could get a sticker of the nada high of $4168.00, but that's not what we're looking to do. The way I see it, is that if someone really wants it, they are going to buy it regardless of what anyone or any book says. Keep in mind, the book is a guide and not the bible. The fact that parts have been put into the car, does not make it worth more in the eyes of the book. It would however make a potential purchaser feel more comfortable since these were things repaired, that they wouldn't have to do. And finally, a car will sell at whatever price the market (person) is willing to bare. As one friend, a used car salesman, once said to me, don't worry about it, "there's an a$$ (butt), for every seat". Take for instance some people on this board, or any board, who are selling their cutlass or 442 convertibles for a mere 11k. There are many people on other forms of media selling the same vehicle for 80k. It doesn't figure! Anyone on this or any other board, could buy up the nicer stuff, and take it to the Arizona auction, and sell it for much, much more, making a killing.

Last edited by revon; January 14th, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by revon
The mileage is not high, it's actually low, approx. 6k per year. High mileage would have been 20k per year for a total of 420K miles, it now only has 138k for 21 years, how can that be high when you see 4 y/o cars with that kind of mileage?
Nobody puts 400,000 miles on their cars. You can't take the mileage and divide by the number of years, and, if the result is less than some typical figure, call it "low mileage."

By this definition, a '72 car with 500,000 miles on it would be "low mileage" because, being now 40 years old, that's less than 15,000 miles per year. But would anyone consider a car with half a million miles a "low mileage car"? Of course not.

Cars get driven a great deal in their early years and less as they get older, so a simple miles-divided-by-years calculation is not really useful. Anything with over 100,000 miles on it, regardless of age, is not going to be "low mileage" in anybody's book.

What is the definition of low mileage? There's nothing official that I know of. But to me that means a car with probably less than 50,000 miles that still carries some of its original wear parts. Your car, by contrast, has been driven. There are no more original wear parts because any original wear parts, like tires or hoses or belts or brakes, have worn out and have been replaced.

Your car is certainly a sellable car, and I think you have a realistic expectation of what you can get for it. I wish you luck.