Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

88 H/O??? On C/L - Chicago

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM

88 H/O??? On C/L - Chicago

Doesn't look right - but I'm not familiar with the later models:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2725899705.html
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM

I think Doc Watson built a few (4 maybe?) and then I think dealers could order all the ground affects in a kit to be installed on any '88 Cutlass Supreme so without some solid paperwork to back it up, call me skeptical.
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

The Hurst/Olds story took an unusual twist in '88. To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Hurst/Olds, four 1988 H/Os were built on the last rear wheel drive Cutlass platform. The four actual H/Os were built by Doc Watson, and each was unique, to suit the personality of it's owner. Then, the aero kits that were used in the conversion were made available to the general public. These kits consisted of fiberglass ground effects packages that could be installed on any '81 - '88 Cutlass. However, only the kits that were installed on 1988 models were permitted to be badged as a 20th anniversary Hurst/Olds. Kits installed on prior year vehicles are called Hurst/Aero cars. The number of kits produced is not known, but is thought to be low enough to make it one of the rarest of all the H/Os.

Who knows!!!!!
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:43 PM
delete

You think they would build it w a split bench & a floor shifter? I'd be curious if it has a floor shift steering column.
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:10 PM

I used to have a kit in the box. Never used it and ended up selling. Some of the parts were cheaply made, some were well done. It included templates and instructions and all the emblems/decals.

Doc wanted very badly for Oldsmobile to pick this up, but they weren't interested. So he marketed them himself. There were actually two versons of the kits made in different locations at different times. He did a car for the owner of Mr. Gasket, Doc Simpson, Judy Badgley and one or possibly two more. Several kits have surfaced on cars lately.

I still have some of the promo literature and stuff from the kits. It too included a registration for your Aero or 20th Ann. model in the owner's kit and a year's membership in the then-recently-formed H/OCA. Kinda unique, but I never found a good enough car to put it on.
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Wrong steering wheel, wrong shifter (is it even a Hurst), wrong wheels. No aero kit. It's a supreme brougham with a goofy shifter. I've seen a handful of Aero cars, all were bucket seat supremes. Each had a plaque stating its production number. Why take a real one and hack it up take any of the Hurst ID and remove it?
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM

Recall that the 88 Hurst kit was available to be added to ANY G-body, but "allowed" to be called an 88 Hurst/Olds on an '88 only, Hurst Aero on all others. There was no requirement that it be a certain configuration or color. And the ad did say the kit was removed prior to painting and not put back on. So to say it's not "legit" doesn't mean much since they weren't exactly legit cars, just a box with aero pieces in it.
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM

Guess original dealer sticker would show it, along with a receipt for the kit, only way to show originality.
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM

Likely won't be on the dealer sticker unless it was an add-on second-sticker content or on the bill of sale. The H/O kit for '88s was an aftermarket thing. NOT sanctioned by Oldsmobile.