Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 442 - scam alert

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2011, 08:11 AM

1970 442 - scam alert

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I knew this one was too good to be true. Here is the original ad that I inquired about...a beautiful 1970 442 for $12,500:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...rivatePartySIY

And here is the response I got today....do people really fall for this BS???!!!

Hi Mike,

The car is still for sale. The asking price is $12,500.00 It is located in Indianapolis,IN. The car is registered on my name and the title is clean (no lien). It is in great condition, no dents or scratches. It was always garaged and the regular maintenance was done in time. It wasn't involved in any accident and has never suffered any kind of damage. Also this is a non-smoker car. If you have any questions regarding the car or you want extra photos or a free Car Fax report just let me know!

I'm a pilot on cargo flights. My wife broke up with me recently because I'm always away from home. We just sold our house and split the money. This is the last thing I need to sell and split the money with her.
Because I'm away most of the time I will not be able to deal in person. But I've already arranged the shipping and the title transfer anywhere in the US. I will pay the shipping fees.
I want the payment to be handled by Amazon!Payments. They will keep the money until you will receive and inspect the car. You will have 7 days of inspection period. If the car is not like described you will have to ship it back on my expense and they will give you a full refund. This way, you will be able to inspect the vehicle before committing to buy it and I know that you have the money and you aren't just fooling around.

Giving the nature of this transaction please note that my sale terms are final and nonnegotiable. In order to move forward I will need your full name, address and phone number.
I don't want to offend you, but the car is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply to this message!
Looking forward....

Ryan

I hate these A-holes!!!

Here's this jerk's email if anybody wants to contact him:

just_flying67@yahoo.com

Last edited by 79MKII; November 28th, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:35 AM

There's no carfax on 1970 cars. You should have asked for it and seen what happened.
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Road trip . Looks to good to be true but would kick myself if you didnt try to get a member to look at it for you. so I would e mail back and say cash in hand is better
than wish and wait ? I you dont get a resonce then i would call cars.com
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Especially because it says in the add that it's loacted in Web, AL, not Indianapolis.

I smell FISH!!
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Send money electronically before seeing the car?
N O W A Y.

My way: Have physical payment in pocket, physically look at car, IF I like, pay seller, take car. If I don't like, walk away with my $$, live happily ever after...
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Hey I received the same message from a guy named Rick when I asked about a 1966 GTO he had for sale. it was almost word for word except he said the car was in Colorado. Did not bother to go further with it.
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM

As was mentioned, the location he says in his email doesn't match the ad...and the name doesn't either. The name in the ad is Thomas L Harris
and the name in the email is Ryan Cartright....I guess it's tough to keep the facts straight when you're making up stories.

And yea, I thought of the car fax thing too...can't get them for cars that old. This guy's not too good at this....lol