Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1979 Toronado 350 Gas, Sunroof, loaded, "Bittersweet" color

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Olds Collector

1979 Toronado 350 Gas, Sunroof, loaded, "Bittersweet" color

Hello: I bought this car from the original owners about 12 years ago. I have put only 4,000 miles on the car in those 12 years. Most of the miles have taken us to the local Olds Club shows as well as the Pacific Southwest Zone show in Morro Bay. It has won several awards including a "Best of Class" at Morro Bay. This car has a great combination of colors and options. It has the Olds 350 gas V8 which is one of the last years it was supplied. Later Toronados have the 307 Olds V8's. This car passes California smog easily. In fact it emits half of the average allowable amounts for that year vehicle. This was done in October, so we have 90 days to use that smog if you are in Calif. It has a factory glass moonroof, with the cover in the interior in case you don't want the sun. It has factory: dual 6 way seats which both recline, AM/FM/8 track, power antenna, trunk, windows, locks, tilt, cruise, pulse wipers, delay headlights, fiber optics, wire wheel caps, electric mirrors and the factory space saver spare. It has an interior light package when you open the locked door the inside lights come on so you can see inside and the outside door locks have a light around the key opening to easily unlock the door. I have two full size wheels with tires just in case. It has the original 6 digit California plates and has not been out of California. The outside color is bittersweet which is a carmel color and very striking with no vinal top. It has a tan cloth interior in excellent condition. The car has been garaged and covered its whole life and the paint is excellent. The interior is also excellent with a perfect soft dash and seat sides and trim areas that are not cloth. I have recently added new NOS GM air shocks, rebuilt the pass side drive axle, and installed a new muffler and factory style resonator. The transmission and carb were both rebuilt by the dealership before I bought the car. I have a bunch of receipts from the previous owner showing work done and documenting the miles. I am in the Los Angles area. The car was sold new at Mandy Williams Oldsmobile in West Covina, California part of Los Angeles metro area and still has the plate frame from that dealership. Depending upon where you live I would consider delivery since I enjoy driving the car. It now has 79K miles. I am asking $5500 and will listen to serious offers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front.jpg (62.9 KB, 49 views)
interior.jpg (71.1 KB, 47 views)
motor.jpg (76.7 KB, 43 views)
other front.jpg (65.2 KB, 41 views)
rear.jpg (63.9 KB, 38 views)
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Isn't this the same car you had for sale for 4250.00 back in August? Just curious why you listed it for so low back then. According to NADA if it's in as good condition as you say, it should bring an easy 9-10K.

Could be the market is just not there for these cars nowadays.
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Olds Collector

1979 Toronado Gas 350 V8 "Bittersweet"

Yup, same car. I have done a bunch of work to it and plan for more stuff.
A buddy of mine sold one for $5200 on ebay and I would rather find an Olds collector on this site than ebay. That car was white, a nice car with 62K miles, but a routine color. This Bittersweet color is really striking and it has more options. Yes, I think it should be worth more but the market seems soft for many cars now. I saw a 1985 Eldorado loaded, nice color, 21K miles, sell at auction for $6800. Now that car has a 4100 alum engine which will never touch the Olds 350 for durability. So we are looking for an Olds collector that will appreciate the car. The last car I listed a 1971 Vista Crusier had all kinds of interest after it was sold, so we shall see if I need to try ebay. This is a great place to discuss all subjects OLDSMOBILE. Regards
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM

One tip. Polish all the chrome, especially those wheel covers. That's what's really sticking out to me and making it look like just another driver.

It will REALLY make that car stand out and get the attention it deserves. I know they'll shine up. Mine have 250,000 miles on them and still look nice, so I'm sure yours will look even better!

Not a lot of love for anything but first gen Toros, so the market is tough. Gotta make it look as good as it possibly can. Good luck with the sale!
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Olds Collector

1979 Toronado Loaded Bittersweet

Thank you so much for the tip. I have placed the hub caps in the dishwasher before when the wife is away.... That helps them get the dirt off then I will polish. Your car looks great. Nice color and 250 K miles. Fantastic, I am happy when someone gets that many miles on a car which means they enjoy it for sure. Have you a write up on the history of your Toronado? It would be nice to share it with newsletter readers. I am in the Toronado Aurora Chapter of OCA and would love to place it in the newsletter. You could email it to editor@toronado-oca.com You will get a newsletter for sure because of your article. Those generation Toros are great cars and you are right, they don't get much attention just the first generation which is good but leaves out the later models. My specific car is interesting because of the color. I think when you see the 1/2 inch by 1 inch square on the dealership brochure it doesn't look like much. However, when you see that color on a real car it is really beautiful. Everyone comments on the nice color of the car. It is a plus that it has no vinal top to mess up the lines of the car and maybe collect water and rust. I have 8 Oldsmobiles; two Cutlass converts, two Vista Cruisers, two Toros (the other is a 67), a 1992 Silhouette, and a 1992 Cutlass wagon. That Silhouette has 248 K miles which has been quite a driver over the years. So I have kept the 79 Toro as a show car and kept the miles down. Thank you again for the suggestion.
Old November 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM

I'd love to see a picture of that car in the sunlight. I bet it really grabs the light. Always thought there was something cool about the non-vinyl cars too.

I don't have anything written up on my car. Appreciate the newsletter offer but I think my car is more special just to me than anyone else cares about, haha. Just my daily driver that I try to keep in good shape. My motto is fix two things before one thing breaks! Haha.

I don't know too many other Toronado lovers, but if I have anybody ask, I'll send 'em your way!
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Olds Collector

1979 Toronado loaded 350 gas "Bittersweet"

You have a good point that I should post a better full sunlight photo. However, I do think the full effect of that car is in person, but maybe a brighter photo will help. Thank you. You are missing something if you don't know about the Olds Club of America and the Toronado - Aurora Chapter. The OCA goes back 40 years and this chapter goes back 30 years. They have 30 years or newsletters full of all types of articles about mostly Toronados and about 10 years ago the Aurora was added. Ralph has led the group for most of those 30 years and also lives in Kansas. You would be surprised how many people would be interested in your Toro story, esp. since the car looks so good with so many miles on it. There are others that like that generation, but of course the early cars get most of the attention. The later Trofeos are also getting some attention partly because they get such better MPG than the early cars and make for nice drivers. I would encourage you to send in a page write up and you will get some newsletters back. I know you will enjoy the newsletter and that network, not on line, but well established. Best Regards,