Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

71 Delta 88 convertible with bucket seats and 455.

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:53 PM

71 Delta 88 convertible with bucket seats and 455.

This is NOT mine. I saw it in the c/l and thought it was pretty interesting having what appears to be factory buckets.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2694938162.html
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm about 99.9% sure that Delta 88's (71/72) did not have buckets and consoles. I don't see it listed on any of the option lists either.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'm about 99.9% sure that Delta 88's (71/72) did not have buckets and consoles.
Interesting. In the '72 Olds SPECS book, it only shows buckets (A51) and console (D55) available on the Cutlass S - Not the F-85, Cutlass, or Cutlass Supreme, and not on any of the full-size models.

Does that sound right, or is there more to the story?

- Eric
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric,
If you look at the CS page of the SPECS book it will show A51 listed as one of the standard equipment options. Don't look under 'Factory Installed" look under STANDARD EQUIPMENT. The A51 option on Cutlass S was 67.00 From what I can see on the CS models, you could get either the A65 or A51 as a no charge item.

You are right about the f85 and Cutlass models. The SPECS book doesn't show it as an option on those cars. So I took this a step further and went to the big leather bound ordering guide. The f85 has an impressive list of optional equipment, BUT NO A51.

The Cutlass could get a plain jane bench seat, or a power 4 way bench ONLY. Absolutely no reference to A51 option there either.

So I went to page 91 in the guide and checked item 6 - Strato bucket seats. Availability: Standard on cutlass Supreme coupes and verts. Available in Cutlass S Hartop coupe. Hmmm.

Well that left me puzzled because I went a step further in the research to the engine/tranny options starting on page 118. The statements made are the M15 (3 speed floor shifter) and M20 (4 speed floor shifter) were the only manual trans for intermediate models in 72.

If you chose the M15 it was only available in the Cutlass, Cutlass S and CS models - not the f85. The M15 was also only for the L32 or L34 engines. Soooo, that means if you could get an M15 you needed a console. If you needed a console - you needed buckets A51. Is that a myth 'busted'?

Onward to the M20 - availability: Cutlass, Cutlass S and all CS but only with the L34, L75 and L77. So again the console/A51 rears it's head, but we knew it would be there for the S and CS. Now it's there again for the Cutlass base.

From everything I've got that's Olds, I would conclude that you could get A51 with any Cutlass, Cutlass S or CS. But not in the f85 or VC.

While I was in these manuals I also looked for any reference to bucket and consoles for B Body and there's zilch. Only thing the B body has as an option was a split front seat with the option for power assist. So I'm wondering on the OP whether the seller of that car did a really nice seat/console and column swap. I guess the best way to see for sure would be to look at the speedo cluster. If it has no PRNDSL on it, that would be impressive

Hopefully, that's the rest of the story. I'd love to hear from anyone who has an original 72 f85 with A51 option and console. Not saying they can't exist. Case in point: COPO orders from Chebby. Who's to say that some of these didn't go through Olds?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Soooo, that means if you could get an M15 you needed a console.
Ahhhhh... But what about "non-console" bench seat, stick shift cars? My '70 Chevelle was one.

- Eric
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ahhhhh... But what about "non-console" bench seat, stick shift cars? My '70 Chevelle was one.- Eric
Sure Eric, throw another iron in fire...
That's a good point. I really hadn't considered that. I automatically (no pun intended) thought that a stick would get the console. Your comment makes sense. Does it also apply to the M20?
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Does it also apply to the M20?
It should, and to the M21 and M22, when so equipped (I know only the M20 was available in the years we're discussing).

I don't think an A/T floor shift was available without the console in any GM line.

- Eric
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I don't think an A/T floor shift was available without the console in any GM line.- Eric
So, the A/T console was standard? I'm on a roll here

BTW, going back to the OP - have you ever seen a B body like the one in the ad with buckets/console? From what I could see in the pics it definitely looked like an Olds console from an A body.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So, the A/T console was standard? I'm on a roll here
Yes, the automatic transmission was standard with the optional automatic floor shifter, which was automatically equipped with a console, as though it was standard.

Got it?

From what I could see in the pics it definitely looked like an Olds console from an A body.
As far as I know, in roughly '68 to '70, when buckets and console were available on the B-body, the console was nearly identical to the A-body console, and the strato-buckets were the same.

- Eric
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Just to throw another iron in the fire...

This car is located in Dearborn, Who's to say it may not have been a "corporate" car that was special ordered with some unique options to show things off in a showroom, or for a dealer? I would love to see the build sheet for this beast, and I love all the comments above that are digging into the possible history of such a combination. You guys are not just car aficionados, things like this range well into true detective work, and automotive archaeology!

Threads like this are why I delve deeply into the boards here. you never know what gems of information everyone has to offer.

-Jeff
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:35 AM
"me somebody" site member

I have it on the best of authorities that buckets and console were last available in the ’70 88 Royale which was only available as a hardtop. It is surely a conversion, but cool nevertheless. I'd be curious to see if there is a shift indicator on the dash, and to see a close-up of the column to see if there are any signs of a shift collar tab (though I've seen examples that were ground off, filled and smoothed so well as to be undetectable).
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Olds Nut

the m-15 they are refering as stnadard was the 3 on a tree.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Sometimes stuff happens

I've heard stories about auto workers ordering cars in the 60's and 70's that their plant made. They would be able to follow the car down the line while it was being assembled. They would order a stripped down version and by the time the car was completed and rolled off the end of the line, it would have many undocumented options on it.

Must have been nice.

Last edited by Jaybird; November 27th, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Originally Posted by Jaybird
I've heard stories about auto workers ordering cars in the 60's and 70's that their plant made. They would be able to follow the car down the line while it was being assembled. They would order a stripped down version and by the time the car was completed and rolled off the end of the line, it would have many undocumented options on it.

Must have been nice.
Sorta like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-zzJnKtDg

One of my all time favorites!

-Jeff

Edit:
Link with some nice photos
http://www.historicautoattractions.c...ohnnycash.html

Last edited by GTI_Guru; November 27th, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by m455sx
the m-15 they are refering as stnadard was the 3 on a tree.
Yes, you're right that as a standard feature it was column mounted. But what we were trying to figure out was the console and buckets of that Delta and it evolved...
The M15 was offered as a floor shift option (w39 -Performance Hurst Shifter) for Cutlass models though. Maybe with a console, maybe with just a rubber boot on the trans hump.