Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

72 Cutlass Supreme with OEM OAI - $14k

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM

72 Cutlass Supreme with OEM OAI - $14k

I'm offering for sale my 1972 Cutlass Supreme with 39,7xx miles.It's a 350/350 power-bench automatic.I've owned it since 2000. I'm the 3rd owner.In 2001 I had it media blasted and painted bc/cc its original color of Baroque Gold with Tan Vinyl Top. It was an $$$ paint job and the body looks beautiful.An NOS left fender and trunklid was installed,all other panels are original. The trunk was also repainted.It has 7k miles since and has never seen rain since I've owned it.It has no dings,dents or scratches.The windshield is new and the rear window was resealed after minor work.All other glass is original. The Saddle interior is original except for the rear package tray.The interior is excellent except the drivers side seat is torn.The car came from Indiana and the original owners family added some OEM options from a car a family member wrecked:mint OAI hood,rally gauges,tic-toc-tac and rear cutout bumper.All gauges work. It has ac but needs a compressor as it stopped wkg last year.It has ps,pb,hood-lock,power-trunk,maplight mirror,eight-track,GM cb,rear defrost,new shocks and springs. The under hood area is original/not detailed.I love this car but due to an upcoming move I am letting it go! It drives straight,sounds nice with dual flowmasters and has never let me down.
It's been a weekend cruiser only.First to see it will want it! Call for more info, 978.551.1973. Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72 Cutlass 003.jpg (86.6 KB, 158 views)
72 Cutlass 009.jpg (41.0 KB, 145 views)
72 Cutlass 019.jpg (88.8 KB, 201 views)
72 Cutlass 048.jpg (66.1 KB, 149 views)
72 Cutlass 028.jpg (78.9 KB, 149 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM

gorgeous car and good luck...just curious, is that side stripe factory correct ?
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM

The sport wheel is not original but it matches,and it has tilt!
Attached Images
72 Cutlass 038.jpg (69.0 KB, 147 views)
72 Cutlass 024.jpg (50.2 KB, 130 views)
72 Cutlass 040.jpg (40.9 KB, 116 views)
72 Cutlass 044.jpg (71.9 KB, 116 views)
72 Cutlass 051.jpg (82.2 KB, 113 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
gorgeous car and good luck...just curious, is that side stripe factory correct ?
Hi VikingBlue- I'm no Olds expert but I was told it was by the resto shop that painted it the side stripe is for Cutlass. The stripe across the trunk I believe is for 442s only,but I liked it so they added it!
Paul
Attached Images
72 Cutlass 051.jpg (82.2 KB, 72 views)
72 Cutlass 013.jpg (88.6 KB, 74 views)
72 Cutlass 001.jpg (57.3 KB, 72 views)
72 Cutlass 002.jpg (39.9 KB, 68 views)
72 Cutlass 021.jpg (55.6 KB, 70 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Cutlass Lover

Damn...... she's a beautiful car! If I had the money, I'd take her off your hands! One of my old Cutli back in the day had the stripes down the sides. Teepo doesn't have them. I'm sure you won't be too long selling her, lol! Good luck to ya!
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM

olds

any engine pic
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM

nice looking car - it even has the night watchmen, speed alert, hood lock and cruise

I' love the 72 Supremes (look at my avatar pic)
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Damn...... she's a beautiful car! If I had the money, I'd take her off your hands! One of my old Cutli back in the day had the stripes down the sides. Teepo doesn't have them. I'm sure you won't be too long selling her, lol! Good luck to ya!
Thanks Cutlassgal- It would make a great garage-mate for your Teepo!
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM

72 Cutlass engine pics.

Originally Posted by junkman454
any engine pic
Here's the only engine pics I have. It does need detailing for sure!
Attached Images
72 Cutlass 041.jpg (80.1 KB, 119 views)
72 Cutlass 042.jpg (74.6 KB, 112 views)
72 Cutlass 040.jpg (78.3 KB, 109 views)
72 Cutlass 038.jpg (63.1 KB, 100 views)
72 Cutlass 045.jpg (70.5 KB, 91 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
nice looking car - it even has the night watchmen, speed alert, hood lock and cruise

I' love the 72 Supremes (look at my avatar pic)
Thanks stevengerard! A lot of people favor the 70s, for performance especially,but I like the 72s best as far as looks goes.Yours looks great.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
According to the 72 Assembly Manual (page 158) that stripe is correct.

It's a gorgeous car and has a good selection of options. That price is very attractive.
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
According to the 72 Assembly Manual (page 158) that stripe is correct.

It's a gorgeous car and has a good selection of options. That price is very attractive.
Thanks for confirming that Allan. You're kind to look that up!
I priced it to sell!!!
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Link to more pics.

I just figured out how to link to my Photobucket account,I think.
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m577/pde70GT/
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Wow is that a gorgeous car...paint looks amazing. I wish it wasn't a bit out of my price range.

I'm not real familiar with some of those options...what's the pod mounted on top of the dash? Some kind of indicator light? Seatbelt warning maybe?

What's the night watch?

Any pictures of the front seat / interior? Are the stripes tan too? They look great.

4 barrel carb?

Thanks

Last edited by 79MKII; November 18th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Someone will jump all over that! If you weren't on the other side of the world from me I'd buy it.
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 79MKII
Wow is that a gorgeous car...paint looks amazing. I wish it wasn't a bit out of my price range.

I'm not real familiar with some of those options...what's the pod mounted on top of the dash? Some kind of indicator light? Seatbelt warning maybe?

What's the night watch?

Any pictures of the front seat / interior? Are the stripes tan too? They look great.

4 barrel carb?

Thanks
Would have had to have a 4bbl for the OAI setup to fit.
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm not real familiar with some of those options...what's the pod mounted on top of the dash? Some kind of indicator light? Seatbelt warning maybe? Yes, seatbelt warning indicator. After leg was passed requiring seatbelt warning indicators (late 71) GM had to put 'fasten seat belts' in a conspicuous place for 1972 models. Most 72's will have the seat belt light on the bottom of the idiot light pod. U21 rallye pacs didn't have room, so the seat belt warning indicator/light was pod mounted in the center of the dash. Not ALL 72 rallye pac equipped cars have this - depends on their production date as it took GM a few months to adjust their production to match the legislation.

What's the night watch? It's a feature that allows your headlights to turn off automatically after a certain time. Prior to shutting the car off, you press this button, then push your headlight switch in. After the car has been keyed off, the night watch uses an electronic brain to monitor the residual pressure in the oil pressue gauge (that's a requirement to make the system work) When the sender pressure reaches 0, the lights are turned off. Kind of like a capacitor that works on pressure.

Any pictures of the front seat / interior? Are the stripes tan too? They look great. Good eye, there weren't any photos of the seats on the web link either. I believe the stripes are white from looking at those photos

4 barrel carb? Yes, check out the snorkel, and Tony is right - the OAI needs a 4bbl to sit on.
Thanks
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Our Dodge caravan has a modern "night watch" as I'm sure many newer cars do. If you turn the ignition to the off position with the headlights still on, they stay on for about 30 seconds after turning them off with the headlight switch. I'm sure it doesn't work on oil pressure though! Yea, should have known that OAI/4bbl thing...

Thanks for the info!
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
72 Olds CS

question on the grills Im tryingto learn, I see they are different from my 72 supreme grills, I assume they are also 72 grills but why are they different mine are all horizontal bars not all square holes like the OPs

nice car i like green
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
question on the grills Im tryingto learn, I see they are different from my 72 supreme grills, I assume they are also 72 grills but why are they different mine are all horizontal bars not all square holes like the OPs

nice car i like green
There were 3 basic grill styles for 72 Cutlass lineup.
The base f85, Cutlass, Cutlass S and Cutlass flattop wagon all got the horizontal bars. The Cutlass Supreme and Vista Cruiser got the 'egg crate' grills. 442's got the distinctive set back 442 grills.

Based on the avatar pic, you have a 72 Cutlass Supreme. Probably what happened in the past before you owned the car is someone had a front end 'oops' and the grills got replaced with whatever was handy. FYI, the stone shield that holds ALL the Cutlass/VC grills is the same for all.
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Our Dodge caravan has a modern "night watch" as I'm sure many newer cars do. If you turn the ignition to the off position with the headlights still on, they stay on for about 30 seconds after turning them off with the headlight switch.
Dodge, Chrysler, GM all have delayed headlight shutoff features. GM calls theirs "Twilight Sentinel". Basically you set the delay by by turning a 'wheel'. This sets a capacitor delay to turn off the lights. The delay can be as little as 3 - 5 seconds, or as long as 45. This has almost become a standard feature on many cars today. Standard for sure on higher end cars - same with auto headlights (ambient light sensors), self dimming high beams, monochromatic mirrors etc. No bout adout it, today's cars are waaaay more sophisticated with electronics than their fore bearers
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM

72 Cutlass Supreme

What's the night watch?

4 barrel carb?

Thanks
Hi 79MKII- Thanks for checking out my Cutlass!
If you're in the market looking to buy a 40 yr old car your much better off buying one with the expensive bodywork/paint done. Anyone thats had a car painted can attest to the costs involved.

I am out of town until tomorrow and can't find any more interior pics on my laptop HD. I will take and post interior pics on Sunday.The original interior is in great shape except the front seat is torn on the drivers side and needs recovering.I am going to order a new front cover from Legendary but it could be 3wks before it comes in I'm told.The front is a 4-way split bench and the power option still works. The rest of the interior is in great shape even the original carpet! But I see from my pics it all looks a tad dusty.I'll have to get on that!

And yes the stripes are tan.

If anyone wants to see additional pics let me know and I will take them!
Thanks-Paul
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:08 AM

Night-Watch Option

Originally Posted by Allan R
Dodge, Chrysler, GM all have delayed headlight shutoff features. GM calls theirs "Twilight Sentinel". Basically you set the delay by by turning a 'wheel'. This sets a capacitor delay to turn off the lights. The delay can be as little as 3 - 5 seconds, or as long as 45. This has almost become a standard feature on many cars today. Standard for sure on higher end cars - same with auto headlights (ambient light sensors), self dimming high beams, monochromatic mirrors etc. No bout adout it, today's cars are waaaay more sophisticated with electronics than their fore bearers
Allan you are a wealth of Oldsmobile knowledge!!!

Do you happen to have any pictures of the Night-Watch "Brain"?
This option doesn't work on my car and I never looked into it.
It's possibly missing the brain.

I don't ever recall seeing one for sale either.

Thanks-Paul
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70ToroGT
Do you happen to have any pictures of the Night-Watch "Brain"?This option doesn't work on my car and I never looked into it.It's possibly missing the brain. I don't ever recall seeing one for sale either.
Hi Paul,
I actually have an NOS nightwatch unit in it's Oldsmobile box out in the shed! Right now I'm not in a big hurry to go out there because we're at -19°C with windchills approaching -30. It's supposed to warm up by Tuesday, so I may get a chance to get you a pic. There are diagrams on P15-30/31 of the 72 CSM (attached for your convenience). http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_15B.pdf In the diagrams the brain is called an "amplifier". It is about 6" X 2" X 4" semi clear plastic case.

You are right - they do not come up for sale very often. Besides mine I have only seen this option on the market once in the last 4 years. Start out by checking behind the lower dash connector to see if the orange power wire is even connected. If all the components are there, check to see if you get the "oil" idiot light on the dash before startup. Here's the troubleshooting for the nightwatch on P15-8. Check to see which condition describes your car and go from there. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_15A.pdf

FYI, all the links come from a web site called "Wild About Cars". Free to join; free to share. You might be interested as it also has info about your 70 Toro.
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Olds Nut

was night watchman availible in 72 with guages?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM

Although Chicago isn't on the "other side of the world", it is a long way from Mass. Seems like all the right-priced, quality cars are too far away to shop.

Great looking car - really like the green paint, for it's rarity and condition.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM

Hi 79MKII- Thanks for checking out my Cutlass!
If you're in the market looking to buy a 40 yr old car your much better off buying one with the expensive bodywork/paint done. Anyone thats had a car painted can attest to the costs involved.

I am out of town until tomorrow and can't find any more interior pics on my laptop HD. I will take and post interior pics on Sunday.The original interior is in great shape except the front seat is torn on the drivers side and needs recovering.I am going to order a new front cover from Legendary but it could be 3wks before it comes in I'm told.The front is a 4-way split bench and the power option still works. The rest of the interior is in great shape even the original carpet! But I see from my pics it all looks a tad dusty.I'll have to get on that!

And yes the stripes are tan.

If anyone wants to see additional pics let me know and I will take them!
Thanks-Paul
I agree and have been looking for something that doesn't need paint...I can do most other things but not body work and paint....and like you said, it's very expensive. Don't forget to post some more interior pics when you can. Thanks
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by m455sx
was night watchman availible in 72 with guages?
First, it's called Nightwatch - not watchman.The 1972 SPECS booklet shows it as option T81 as a factory installed option for B, C Car lines only. However I expect that it can be added to any of the car lines as a dealer installed or customer installed option, hence the underdash mounting activator.
re: can it be used with gauges? Yes. I have to take a step back and retract part of what I said earlier. I apologize for the wrong info. The nightwatch system doesn't work off residual oil pressure. It uses the oil sender as a ground though, so yes any type of sender (idiot or gage) will allow it to work. The system will not activate until the engine has been shut off.
Headlights will stay on for 60 seconds after the nightwatch system has been activated. note: it will work with low and high beams if that's what you set the headlamp foot switch to.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nickels
Although Chicago isn't on the "other side of the world", it is a long way from Mass. Seems like all the right-priced, quality cars are too far away to shop.

Great looking car - really like the green paint, for it's rarity and condition.
Hi Nickels- Thanks for the nice comments! The color is called Baroque Gold, which does look green or even brown in the right light.
Sorry you're not closer to MA,so you could see in person how nice the paint is. Good luck in your quest!
Paul
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:07 PM

I agree and have been looking for something that doesn't need paint...I can do most other things but not body work and paint....and like you said, it's very expensive. Don't forget to post some more interior pics when you can. Thanks
Hi 79MKII- I will get over to my storage garage in the next couple days and get some interior pics.Sorry,I've been busy with home renovations.
Paul
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:24 AM

Hi 79MKII- I will get over to my storage garage in the next couple days and get some interior pics.Sorry,I've been busy with home renovations.
Paul
No problem at all....no rush. Have a great holiday!
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM

is the car still available?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM

How are you coming along with those interior pictures?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM

Awesome Baroque Gold Cutlass, and wow it sure has a lot of options. Nice to see such a sharp Baroque Gold Supreme. Good luck with the sale.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Would you be interested in any trades(like a 65 442) plus cash?