Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

CL 1964 Olds 88 coupe for just $650; too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

CL 1964 Olds 88 coupe for just $650; too good to be true?

Though I'm no expert on these cars, this seems to be--on the surface at least--one hell of a deal:

"Nice project car; a Woodward dream cruiser in a short time. The car came with a 394 engine, I had it converted over to a chevy 350. The car has a solid frame,perfect glass, perfect chrome,solid doors and rust free bumpers with no dents. No rusty panels, no dents in the car. I had the car for 21 years it was my first car I hate to sell it but I need the room. THE CAR NEEDS A 350 ENGINE AND TRANS, AND A DECKLED(TRUNK). I COULD EASILY MAKE MORE MONEY IF I PARTED THE CAR OUT ON EBAY,BUT I WANT THE CAR TO GO TO A GOOD HOME."

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/2564501594.html

I have no idea who is selling it, but if you are interested and would like more info (i.e. an honest assessment of condition) or pics than the seller can give you, I might be able to run it down for you.

Cheers!

http://images.craigslist.org/3nc3pf3...fd92b01ed9.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3k53pc3...9a7a571de8.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n13m33...ba1e931585.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n13p33...ff0c2f1ff6.jpg
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Oldsdruid

I had it converted over to a chevy 350.
'Nuff said.
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocketraider
'Nuff said.
It could easily be converted back since there is no motor or trans! What do you want for $650.00???
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Oldsdruid

To convert a 394/SlimJim car to a Chevy/THM350 (or even a 65-later Olds engine/trans) takes a lot of cutting and fabricating. The two drivetrains do not mount anywhere near similar, and I can about promise the essential parts to put a 394/SJ back in it were tossed.

I know you're one of the guys who sees absolutely nothing wrong with stuffing a Chevy drivetrain in a non-Chevrolet car. Keep in mind I'm one of the guys who has a serious problem with it. "It's all GM" when used to justify that installation is heresy to me. You respect my viewpoint, I'll respect yours.

Yes, $650 is a fair price for a good 64 full-size parts car. Good replateable rear bumper cores go for that.

Last edited by rocketraider; August 25th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

PM sent
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocketraider
To convert a 394/SlimJim car to a Chevy/THM350 (or even a 65-later Olds engine/trans) takes a lot of cutting and fabricating. The two drivetrains do not mount anywhere near similar, and I can about promise the essential parts to put a 394/SJ back in it were tossed.

I know you're one of the guys who sees absolutely nothing wrong with stuffing a Chevy drivetrain in a non-Chevrolet car. Keep in mind I'm one of the guys who has a serious problem with it. "It's all GM" when used to justify that installation is heresy to me. You respect my viewpoint, I'll respect yours.

Yes, $650 is a fair price for a good 64 full-size parts car. Good replateable rear bumper cores go for that.
Sigh, yes I'm one of the guys who is open to drivetrain swaps, and I always respect other opinions!! I do not respect bad taste comments, ridicule, or browbeating. Not saying yours was! I respect whatever vision an owner of any vehicle has and help them reach it! I have opinions towards old cars in general and believe that anything we can do to preserve/ modify to keep them on the road is a good thing!

Getting back on subject. Yes it would take some effort to put it back to an Olds, however, it would not be that hard! I'm sure if one searched for a 394 and a slimjim trans, all the bracketry would be easily had with it. If one wanted to put a later model Olds motor/trans in it then that bracketry would probably have to be changed anyway! At $650 as we agree it would be worth the time and expense to make it a really nice car!
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sigh, yes I'm one of the guys who is open to drivetrain swaps, and I always respect other opinions!! I do not respect bad taste comments, ridicule, or browbeating. Not saying yours was! I respect whatever vision an owner of any vehicle has and help them reach it! I have opinions towards old cars in general and believe that anything we can do to preserve/ modify to keep them on the road is a good thing!

Getting back on subject. Yes it would take some effort to put it back to an Olds, however, it would not be that hard! I'm sure if one searched for a 394 and a slimjim trans, all the bracketry would be easily had with it. If one wanted to put a later model Olds motor/trans in it then that bracketry would probably have to be changed anyway! At $650 as we agree it would be worth the time and expense to make it a really nice car!
Very well put
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Is this car still available? I'm very interested. Dean